Bringing Wine Onboard

Irish110

I haven't brought wine on board in years due to AI.

A few years ago I was on a trans-Atlantic which stopped in Madeira. Went on a wine tasting tour and bought a bottle of Madeira wine along the way. Upon boarding security took it. Celebrity was decent in that 2 days prior to docking in Ft Lauderdale (the end of the cruise) they let me get it so we could enjoy it with dinner the final 2 nights.

Concerning a corkscrew, one is usually in the cabin refrigerator. Not great but will work.  

On 2/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, davekathy said:

I hate the ones the cabin attendant gives (loans) you. I always carry a corkscrew in our first aid kit packed in one of our checked luggage. It also has a 1.25" knife style foil cutter on it. We haven't brought wine onboard after (prior to AI) Celebrity first introduced the CBP as bundled option. 

We recently have opted to bring two screw-cap wine bottles on board.  I know some here will gasp at this gauche admission but there are some decent drinkable screw-cap wines these days.  And we consider the two allowed bottles our cabin back-up wine or casual wine.  So no cork-screw.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We recently have opted to bring two screw-cap wine bottles on board.  I know some here will gasp at this gauche admission but there are some decent drinkable screw-cap wines these days.  And we consider the two allowed bottles our cabin back-up wine or casual wine.  So no cork-screw.

You won't hear my gasping over screw caps. 🍷

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

MANY awesome Australian ( among other countries) wines now with screw caps....yum...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, padgman1 said:

MANY awesome Australian ( among other countries) wines now with screw caps....yum...

Yes, I have many very nice bottles of wine from mainly New World regions that are Screwtops; I remember about 10-15  years ago there a push to try to get more wineries to adopts non-cork bottles but it seemed to have died off a little; maybe I am wrong..  I read somewhere  there is a billionaire family whose entire fortune is pretty much based on that they have nearly a monopoly on the cork market in Italy.

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes we tried some good ones from AUS and NZ on our cruise there.

I love Aussie cabs but unfortunately didn't see many on my recent Edge sailing. Will be doing an 11 night Hawaii on the Eclipse April 23rd. Hopefully they will have a better selection as I plan on taking the PBP. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, drakes2 said:

I love Aussie cabs but unfortunately didn't see many on my recent Edge sailing. Will be doing an 11 night Hawaii on the Eclipse April 23rd. Hopefully they will have a better selection as I plan on taking the PBP. 

Saw a Penfolds Grange on the wine list on our Reflection cruise last month....for $929...of course, it is mainly Shiraz with Cab blended in, but still...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 9:55 AM, TeeRick said:

Except for wines that should be aged for decades, screw tops are probably better at keeping wine drinkable.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:55 AM, TeeRick said:

Same here - do the same thing.  Its more convenient to bring them on when you dont have a wine opener.  I actually find some of the screw caps better wines at a much lower price.  We have some in our cooler that have been there almost 10 years.  Nothing wrong with buying a wine to open immediately.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, drakes2 said:

Most AusEsie high end wines have small case numbers (often in the 1000 or under area) and are sold mostly in Australia and the US.  Not enough to provide a continuing supply to Celebrity.