Will Carnival let us board with less than 6 months left on passport?

Bahbert

I understand that it’s each country’s rules that govern passport requirements. But if we’re just visiting for the day (Mexico, Belize, and Honduras), do we really need more than six months left on our passports?

Ours expire 5 months after we return, and I’m worried about not having time to get an expedited passport renewal back in time (early April). We can cruise with birth certificates but would prefer to use our passports… either our current ones with 5 months left on them or brand-new ones that I’m not sure about getting in time. 

Just trying to decide what to do. 

2 minutes ago, Bahbert said:

I understand that it’s each country’s rules that govern passport requirements. But if we’re just visiting for the day (Mexico, Belize, and Honduras), do we really need more than six months left on our passports?

Ours expire 5 months after we return, and I’m worried about not having time to get an expedited passport renewal back in time (early April). We can cruise with birth certificates but would prefer to use our passports… either our current ones with 5 months left on them or brand-new ones that I’m not sure about getting in time. 

Just trying to decide what to do. 

Yes for your itinerary

• Thanks 1

My other half has been bringing his birth certificate on each cruise since he crossed the six month mark, but they just keep accepting his passport with no problems. We don't mention the date and they don't even blink when they look at it.

We'll probably try to get an in person appointment for renewal before the next trip - absolutely no interest in giving up his passport and supporting documentation for an uncertain return date.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

The 6 month rule is for international air travel, not cruises. You should be fine.  

Actually not quite true.  It is dependent on the country you are visiting no matter the mode of transportation.

Several years ago Barbados invoked this rule both to cruisers (who are there only during the day) and people arriving by air.  Barbados rescinded this rule shortly there after.  Carnival and other cruise lines had to check for expiration dates for cruises that visited Barbados.

No country in the Caribbean that regularly accepts cruise ships require a passport that is expiring within six months for cruises.

Nothing to do with US rules

• 1 year later...