Swimming with pigs in the Bahamas

acct1975

Hi, We'll be on the Breakaway in June 2022 with a stop at Great Stirrup Cay and thinking of doing the Swim with Pigs excursion. I was curious if anyone has done it and their thoughts. I'll have my 8 year old son with me and I want to be sure this is something he'd do, especially if I'm going to spend the money on it 🙂

TIA

2 hours ago, acct1975 said:

Hi, We'll be on the Breakaway in June 2022 with a stop at Great Stirrup Cay and thinking of doing the Swim with Pigs excursion. I was curious if anyone has done it and their thoughts. I'll have my 8 year old son with me and I want to be sure this is something he'd do, especially if I'm going to spend the money on it 🙂

TIA

I did this excursion in 2019.   It was OK for me as a 40 something year old guy, glad I did it, but would not do it again.  My 16yo nephew was with me and he said it was his favorite part of the cruise, so I'm guessing your 8yo will love it.   

Just did that excursion in December 2021. It was ok, you really don’t swim but you basically get in the water. They give you pieces of apple that you put on a stick and then you can get the pigs to swim to you to eat it. Someone will take pictures which you can then buy from their website. Price for photos was not bad. We did the excursion just to say we now swam with pigs. The pigs are cute and it’s funny to see them on a beach! Would I pay the money to do it again, no. But for a one time and done type excursion we did and we did have a good time! 🐷

My wife mentioned this one and I read the details on it.  Be sure to note that I think it isn't on the same island so you have to take transportation somewhere else for the excursion.  I felt like it would end up being a lot longer than we believed.

Edited by jstewartgt

25 minutes ago, jstewartgt said:

My wife mentioned this one and I read the details on it.  Be sure to note that I think it isn't on the same island so you have to take transportation somewhere else for the excursion.  I felt like it would end up being a lot longer than we believed.

It’s a very short boat ride to the island with the pigs from GSC.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, kuku77254 said:

Does anyone know if they have life jackets on the little boat that people can actually wear? I'm not comfortable with my 9 year old on boats without one but I hate to have to pack a jacket.

Pretty sure boats are required to have them.  But whether or not they are readily available is a different issue.  I did the excursion but can't say for certain - and the guy did drive fast but at no time did I feel there was any danger.

We were able to use our own cameras when up on the deck where they had some pigs walking around while they did safety briefing and after the water interaction. But you could not use your own camera on beach area or on water. The prices for the photos is reasonable. They actually give you a web address that you look them up and can digit download your photos after you pay for them.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:10 AM, acct1975 said:

TIA

I mean, conceptually it sounds interesting but coming right from the breakfast buffet to the excursion would make things difficult to compartmentalize.

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

Hey hey. Thanks to whoever started this thread 🙂

we are looking at this trip In November. 

do you actually do the to pig island in Exuma or is it a purpose made attraction where the pigs have been ‘shipped’ in? 

just curious as on the map the island in exuma seems quite a journey. 

thanks in advance 

8 hours ago, Malemew said:

Hey hey. Thanks to whoever started this thread 🙂

we are looking at this trip In November. 

do you actually do the to pig island in Exuma or is it a purpose made attraction where the pigs have been ‘shipped’ in? 

just curious as on the map the island in exuma seems quite a journey. 

thanks in advance 

You could never make it to exuma, so the cruise lines bring exuma to you (by bringing pigs to a Sandy beach).