Vancouver Transfers To/From Seattle - Insider Secret

VibeGuy

Don’t do it. 

There are people from square states in the middle, every year, who point to the cruise line coach transfers available to/from Seattle for Vancouver sailings. 

I beg you, don’t bother, unless you plan to spend some time in Seattle and environs prior/after.   It’s a 3-hour bus ride with limited scenery and potty stops.  The border process for groups is miserable and involves luggage schlepping.  

Look at it this way:  if someone posted that they were flying into Sarasota for Port Everglades/Miami,  Palm Springs or San Diego for San Pedro/Long Beach, or Fresno/Sacramento for San Francisco, they’d get laughed off the site.   But all of those pairs are shorter than Seattle-Vancouver. 

• Like 1

If a cruise passenger is in need of taking a transfer back to the US after a cruise ending in Vancouver, BC, I am guessing that they are trying to get to SeaTac to fly home.  It may be that the cost of flying out of Vancouver, BC is either much more expensive than flying to/from Seattle, or the outbound Vancouver flights involve long layovers or connections.

In addition, unlike the examples that were cited (all US cities), Vancouver, BC is in Canada, and thus flying directly into Canada is an international flight which requires a passport.  Not all US cruise  passengers have passports, or necessarily want to fly internationally.

I am not sure what the point was that you were trying to make regarding the bus transfers - maybe you could explain.

• Like 1

I think the bus service from the Vancouver terminal direct to the Seattle/Tacoma airport is a dandy option. They used to have service that dropped downtown Seattle as well that we had considered but they weren’t sure if they were going to offer it. I haven’t been on a plane in 4 years and miss nothing about flying. The bus is a good option for some.

• Like 1

Again, if you’re using it to spend time in Seattle, *fantastic*, I encourage it, mazel tov, welcome to our fair city.  

It’s precisely using Seattle to somehow “avoid” international travel that is just so ridiculous.   Going through Pacific Hwy/Truck Crossing is, de facto, adding a schlep/reschlep of luggage vs the entirely fantastic handling system at YVR.   It’s a cruddy experience for visitors,  and people should think long and hard if the disadvantages (cost, time spent at the border, hassle) outweigh the potential cost savings just to end up immediately getting on a plane in Seattle.  The time the transfers take means either a late afternoon/evening departure from Seattle, a night in an absolutely nondescript airport hotel or perhaps changing planes in the middle of the night in some glamour spot like Dallas.  

yes, the title is clickbait, but tis the season for people planning Vancouver arrivals or departures and having a notion that it’s convenient to use Seattle as their air gateway. 

I understand what you are saying - if you commit to sailing out of Vancouver, you should be all in for the entire experience.  Vancouver is a world class city, and the sailing out of there through the inner passage is beautiful, and well worth the price of admission.

Still, it isn't cheap to fly into Vancouver for most US passengers.  We can appreciate that there is a transfer bus option to get passengers across the border back to the US.  Cruise passengers have varied budgets and vacation time availability.  I am grateful that the cross border bus transfer option is available.

I do understand your point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I last cruised, , it started in Seattle, where I flew into. . As the cruise ended in Vancouver, I needed to return to Seattle. I took Amtrak. back. It was hassle free at the border crossing, and a very scenic ride. Just another option, for one to consider.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, urbanhawk said:

When I last cruised, , it started in Seattle, where I flew into. . As the cruise ended in Vancouver, I needed to return to Seattle. I took Amtrak. back. It was hassle free at the border crossing, and a very scenic ride. Just another option, for one to consider.

We are hoping to fly into Seattle 4 days early and then take the Cascades train up to Vancouver B.C. but it appears that the train is not running at least so far on or about May 19th. I'm hoping that someone has their crystal ball polished and maybe heard that the trains will start running again sometime in April otherwise we will postpone Seattle for another time. We are ready to book flights and are so disappointed we hear the bus trip is not very scenic.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:14 PM, ctkathchick said:

We are hoping to fly into Seattle 4 days early and then take the Cascades train up to Vancouver B.C. but it appears that the train is not running at least so far on or about May 19th.

It is encouraging that they have begun test runs between Seattle and Vancouver. Things could certainly not work out for whatever reason but this does bode well. I think it would be worth risk knowing that there are other options for getting to Vancouver. Worst case, you can book the bus now with hopes of the train operating and then switch when they do. I would have a contingency just in case.

The train... Check in a bit early to get the best seats and request the left side. We took the train both directions for a trip in 2019. It’s a wonderful option to flying.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article258140653.html

On 3/19/2022 at 10:44 PM, cruising cockroach said:

Cancel Seattle.  Read elsewhere rail service is not in the schedule through the summer.

That is disappointing.  They Province of BC and Washington State just announced funding on how to expand the route.  Sounds like they need to get to preCOVID levels first.

As for the bus service.  It is ok.  You do need to walk your bags across the border  That is the trade off.  Flying you get hit with US Customs and Agriculture inspection charges that are fees included in the cost of the flight.  At the land border those are covered by the US government.  

Vancouver is a hub for WestJet and Air Canada who have lots of non-stop options in Canada and a few into the US. Seattle is a hub for Alaska and Delta. So lots of US domestic non-stops and a few Canadian.  

On 3/20/2022 at 1:44 AM, cruising cockroach said:

Cancel Seattle.  Read elsewhere rail service is not in the schedule through the summer.

Well this makes me glad I went ahead and booked flights from YVR in May. My original plan (back in 2020) was to take the train to SEA.

FWIW, the current bus service to/from Vancouver is codeshared, as it were, on Cantrail busses.  Busses are not operated/chartered by AmTrak.  Only make one scheduled stop in Richmond, as well as at the border.  Relatively-speedy 3:15-3:30 total journey when compared to the Thruway bus to/from Bellingham (2:40). 

Scheduled Services | Cantrail - Takes you awayCantrail – Takes you away

We're planning on driving down the coast after our cruise returns to Vancouver. Because it's wild to rent a car in Canada and return in the USA, we're looking at Amtrak or QuickShuttle to Seattle. QuickShuttle has just released a very convenient schedule to Seattle for those disembarking. They aren't available to book online just yet but the price is great compared to the Amtrak option. Unless the train comes back with a convenient schedule upon resumption of services, we're going to bus it. 

Pre-Covid, I think there were only 2 train departures from Vancouver a day. Like 6am and 5pm. A little late for us since we want to spend some time in Seattle that day. Although, another day in Vancouver isn't a bad plan either. 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:09 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

If a cruise passenger is in need of taking a transfer back to the US after a cruise ending in Vancouver, BC, I am guessing that they are trying to get to SeaTac to fly home.  It may be that the cost of flying out of Vancouver, BC is either much more expensive than flying to/from Seattle, or the outbound Vancouver flights involve long layovers or connections.

In addition, unlike the examples that were cited (all US cities), Vancouver, BC is in Canada, and thus flying directly into Canada is an international flight which requires a passport.  Not all US cruise  passengers have passports, or necessarily want to fly internationally.

I am not sure what the point was that you were trying to make regarding the bus transfers - maybe you could explain.

you realize you need a US passport to cross at a land border back into the United States, right?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 7:09 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Well these cruisers if non passport holders they can’t enter Canada 

37 minutes ago, taymiss2 said:

Ok this topic has me very confused and concerned. I have tickets reserved to take Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver on June 30th.  If the train isn’t running why are they selling tickets?  

The bus schedule is on the Amtrak site. Make sure you didn't purchase bus tickets. Or, you purchased train tickets to Vancouver, WA.

Edited by Glaciers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

The bus schedule is on the Amtrak site. Make sure you didn't purchase bus tickets. Or, you purchased train tickets to Vancouver, WA.

I have double checked my tickets 3 times in the past hour.  Definitely Vancouver BC. It says Cascades train 516.  And instructions say we will need to show ID before boarding the train.      I too wondered if maybe I bought bus tickets.  I remember being careful that I did not select a bus ticket.   I am stumped.

They had been doing test runs last month between Seattle and Vancouver so maybe they will be begin service soon and you were able to book. Yours is the first post I've seen this season that anyone had booked the train.

As my friend @Glaciers indicated, Amtrak isn't running to Vancouver, BC yet.  More than one person has accidentally  purchase at Seattle to Vancouver WA ticket when their destination is Vancouver, BC.  It happens all the time as the trains are on the same route.  Glaciers is just trying help.

There has not been a moment that I didn’t believe glaciers has been trying to help.  That is why I keep checking my ticket. I believe what he is saying.    

But I do definitely have a train ticket to Vancouver BC.  I am stumped and am not sure if I should be looking into renting a car, booking a bus or a flight.   Or waiting out the train starting up again.

I also got a message today that our flight to Seattle has been changed for the third time. Constant vigilance in these times. The airlines are having a rough patch.