Purchasing a cabin upgrade

RL999

Hello.  This is my very first post. My wife and I are on the QM2 March Southampton to Caribbean and return. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase, (NOT a freeby), an upgrade at the time of embarkation? 

The Cunard website currently shows available cabins but on trying to book it says not available. It may be that they are not yet sailing at full capacity. Our agent has said they will email Cunard but the wait times understanably seem to be very long for responses.  

Many thanks.

47 minutes ago, RL999 said:

Hello.  This is my very first post. My wife and I are on the QM2 March Southampton to Caribbean and return. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase, (NOT a freeby), an upgrade at the time of embarkation? 

The Cunard website currently shows available cabins but on trying to book it says not available. It may be that they are not yet sailing at full capacity. Our agent has said they will email Cunard but the wait times understanably seem to be very long for responses.  

Many thanks.

If you don't mind, could you tell me more about the cabin category you are interested in upgrading to? It seems odd that the Cunard website would show a cabin as available but then say it is unavailable when you try to book it. But then behaving oddly is nothing new when it comes to the Cunard website.

There are indeed many available cabins on your voyage. I am able to select cabins in a wide variety of categories from balconies to grill suites, so I don't think there is an issue with overall capacity controls on your voyage. I would think your agent ought to be able to work with Cunard to get you the upgrade you are looking for prior to embarkation, depending on the specific details of the upgrade.

Undoubtedly if you wish to Purchase an upgrade then you need to speak to Cunard.

Did this for a Q1 suite and got a great price.

Also been upgraded many times prior to sailing but if you WANT an upgrade you must speak to them.  

2 hours ago, RL999 said:

Many thanks.

If you do not have a response before departure, then I suggest once the ship is underway you visit the 'Onboard Voyage Sales office', they will have a clear overview of staterooms not occupied and may quote a price.

I have managed to do this twice over the years ( via onboard voyage sales) The only disruption is, moving from one stateroom to another.

NB don't waste time speaking to the Pursers office, they don't deal with sales.  

2 hours ago, RL999 said:

Thank you for your replies.  I have an accessible cabin and that may be way it says not available on teh website.  I shall contact Cunard direct.

Ah, your accessible cabin requirement does shed a new light on the situation.

During the booking process on the Cunard website, when you check the box "I require a wheelchair accessible room or use of a mobility device", it does give the impression there is availability in a wide range of cabin categories for your voyage. The only cabin category that shows as "Sold out" is Oceanview.

That's immediately suspect since QM2 has no cabins designated as accessible anywhere in the Obstructed Balcony, Sheltered Balcony and Britannia Club categories. There's no hope of booking an accessible cabin in any of those categories, so the website shouldn't give you the impression there is availability in those categories.

The only accessible cabins I am currently finding available on your voyage are an Inside on deck 5 and the one accessible Queens Grill Royal Suite on deck 10. If you are interested in that Royal Suite, I would recommend getting a hold of your agent as soon as possible and ask them to book that upgrade for you. Since you booked through an agent, I expect Cunard will tell you that you need to work with them.

• Like 1

Thank you bluemarble, that's most helpful.  It appears the choice is one of two extremes.  I have and want a balcony and as much as I would love the one accessible Queens Grill Royal Suite on deck 10 prudence must all take priority. 😞

• Like 1