New COVID testing procedures??

miami mama

When speaking with my in-laws today, they said they had just received a letter from Viking today talking about changes in testing for cruises. They don't sail until June but the letter indicated changes would occur in March. While people will still need to get testing prior to leaving for the cruise as well as embarkation, there will no longer be daily testing aboard the ship. Has anyone else received this information?

Frankly, I don't mind the daily testing. I like the extra safety measure. If true, I just hope this is not too big of leap to be making when you consider we are together in a confined setting for a prolonged period of time. 

12 minutes ago, miami mama said:

When speaking with my in-laws today, they said they had just received a letter from Viking today talking about changes in testing for cruises. They don't sail until June but the letter indicated changes would occur in March. While people will still need to get testing prior to leaving for the cruise as well as embarkation, there will no longer be daily testing aboard the ship. Has anyone else received this information?

Frankly, I don't mind the daily testing. I like the extra safety measure. If true, I just hope this is not too big of leap to be making when you consider we are together in a confined setting for a prolonged period of time. 

We are sailing in May and I just checked MVJ. The protocols haven’t been updated since February 14th so they still specify daily tests. Hopefully we will soon receive the same information. 

16 minutes ago, miami mama said:

We have not received any letter or notification from Viking on any changes whatsoever.

We have cruises starting in March, in April, and in July.  Nothing.

What cruise are they on?  Ocean or River?  What exact date? 

Was it a letter or an email?  Did it show on their MyVikingJourney?

1 hour ago, millybess said:

If it is the case Viking is dropping the daily testing requirement, hopefully the mask mandate will soon follow. 

I don't mind the masking requirement - I wear one at work all the time so I'm used to it (but understand why it bothers others), but I would like to see daily testing dropped, or at least reduced.  Hubby tested positive in January before another cruise we had scheduled (and had to cancel obviously) but never had symptoms nor did he pass it to me because I tested negative consistently.  

• Like 3

They don't cruise until June and are going on an ocean cruise somewhere in the Scandinavian and Northern Europe area. The information they received only talks of the pre-cruise and embarkation requirements as the required testing. Perhaps Viking just did not address all of the requirements but only ones that changed. Guess we will know soon enough as things appear to be changing quickly. 

3 hours ago, miami mama said:

I'm with you; we didn't mind daily testing at all on our December cruise. Since we board the ship on March 5th, I'm guessing we'll still be spitting into test tubes on our cruise.

Having had a mild case of Covid a month ago for 2-3 days, and then the lingering congestion for a week, I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes to stay healthy.

The only time it's a problem is when I put food to my mouth, only to smear it into the mask I forgot to remove...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

I don't mind the masking requirement

We also have a mask requirement where I live. And I believe that masks are effective against this airborne virus and protect the wearer and the people close by. I don’t have to don a mask the moment I leave my house which I will have to do the moment I leave my stateroom, so that will be annoying. But what I really meant by my statement was that if they do drop the daily testing requirement and if the masking requirement soon follows, then there is hope than some sort of easing back into normalcy will also follow. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I just hope they drop the in-room quarantine on Day One, perhaps linked to more rapid testing completed pier side as other lines do

Yes. Until they do, we plan to delay getting on the ship as long as possible. Silver lining: more shore time to see new things! 

• Like 4

I don't mind my Doing daily testing per se.  My reason for not wanting daily testing is the very small but real possibility of false positives and ensuing disruption for the both the person tested and those contact traced. Contact tracing is why we were uncharacteristically stand-offish on our cruises last year.
My 1st wish list would be dropping masking onboard completely. Viking should be moving air through the ship enough to eliminate most of any tiny benefit of mask wearing. Most 2021 cruisers once sitting anywhere aboard did not wear masks.
Masking on busses is a different beast. I wish I had faith in masks' efficacy as worn but I'm happy to comply with masks on enclosed busses if it's the policy. 
Any improvement in the timeliness of arrival day release from quarantine would be welcomed. We were not quarantined upon arrival in 2021 Viking cruises. Would be a much worse experience on river ships.

• Like 9

I too would like to see Viking drop the daily testing and contact tracing. I don't mind wearing a mask. I'm not sure we will sail with them again until they do. We are booked for September. We were on the Jupiter in Iceland last August and really enjoyed our cruise, however, we did hear of people who were put off the ship because someone on their tour bus tested positive. We are on a river cruise in Europe in June with a different company which only requires a vaccine, a test before boarding (for now), and masks in public settings. That is fine with us.

Covid was horrible before the miracle vaccines. My mother and my aunt both died from contracting it in their assisted living facilities, prior to the vaccines being available. When I contracted it after two doses and a booster, I had a mild head cold, unlike my mother and aunt who were on ventilators in ICU's before dying. In addition, our son is an Infectious Disease physician, who is of the same mind as Jim Avery. 98% of people who are vaccinated will die of something besides covid.

• Like 11

On 2/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, miami mama said:

Any chance you can post a cooy of the letter your in-laws received?  

I don't have access to the letter and they are not exactly computer literate. They read it to me over the phone.

I'm just waiting to see what I receive as my trip approaches. Even though things are seeming to be getting better, after all of the ups and downs of the past two years, I will only trust whatever is being said right as I am ready to depart.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 4:20 PM, miami mama said:

I'm just waiting to see what I receive as my trip approaches

I think that is the only sensible thing to do at the moment.

The most up-to-date Viking health and safety program statement that I can find is dated January 21, 2022.

It states "depending on your dates of travel, Viking may require up to daily PCR testing throughout your itinerary" The phrase they use is: "up to daily" This could mean that you are tested daily, every few days or not at all.

Only time will tell.

• Like 1

14 Feb Instructions for 7 March Antarctic Trip on Octantis.  Note:  Argentina requires a PCR test within 72 hours of departure.  Overrides Viking antigen option.  

The information below reflects the protocols outlined in the Viking Health & Safety Program. Viking’s medical team will continue to monitor conditions in all the destinations we visit and may adjust these policies as necessary.

1. Prior to your embarkation, there will be additional COVID-19 screening, including: • Temperature check • Healthy survey • Acceptance of contact-tracing during your cruise

2. Once you are on board and in your stateroom, you will take a COVID-19 PCR test (via non-invasive saliva sample) - Please refrain from consuming anything or smoking for at least one hour before submitting your saliva sample. - You will be asked to remain in your stateroom until your negative test results are confirmed.

3. During your voyage: • There will be up to daily COVID-19 tests (saliva samples).

4. Prior to leaving your ship or post cruise extension, Viking will provide you with the test result needed for your return flight. • If you are continuing independently, you are responsible for getting your own COVID-19 test prior to departure

On 3/3/2022 at 3:46 PM, eylarson said:

2. Once you are on board and in your stateroom, you will take a COVID-19 PCR test (via non-invasive saliva sample) - Please refrain from consuming anything or smoking for at least one hour before submitting your saliva sample. - You will be asked to remain in your stateroom until your negative test results are confirmed.

3. During your voyage: • There will be up to daily COVID-19 tests (saliva samples).

I am really surprised Viking is still doing these two things with all other cruise lines relaxing their covid rules. If we are already taking a test 48 hours before do we really need to sit in our cabin while another test is taken? 

I hope these two requirements change before our final payment is due at the end of March. This is our first cruise on Viking but I don't see us making final payment with these restrictions in place. I know we don't leave until October but I can't wait months for them to revise this. 

• Like 4

I personally don't have any problems with the caution Viking has demonstrated. Some of the requirements, of course, have been because of the regulations of the countries they visit; some are particular to Viking. I just hope none of the countries we are visiting require contagious people to disembark the ship. 

Just looking for the most recent requirements/changes to Covid policies so that we can be prepared for what we need to do.

• Like 1

Given the horrid publicity that Princess Cruise got when all this began two years ago, (Remember the ship docked in Tokyo) I don't expect Viking to relax anytime soon.  They have already taken a huge financial hit, have incurred increased costs with testing, air handlers and now rising fuel costs.  

• Like 1