Take shore excursion but go off on your own

Cruzin Terri

We like to do our own thing in each port rather than take ship excursions.  However, I feel like we are running out of options in Marseille to get to Aix-en-Provence.

Has anyone ever booked a shore excursion just to get to a destination but then tell the guide that they are not interested in staying with the group but will meet the bus at the appointed time?

We are thinking of taking the shore excursion and then breaking away from the group and rejoining when it is time to leave.

Has anyone done this? 

Any problems in doing so?

Appreciate any responses

Thanks,

Terri

I went on a tour and a couple went off on their own.  The problem was that everyone came back to the bus when the tour concluded. It was 40 minutes early. The guide told us we had time to make an interesting quick detour on our way back, but we had to sit around and wait for the couple to come back.  And.....they actually came back 15 minutes late.  Nobody on that bus was pleased.

You should consider that when you just disappear and use the tour for transportation, you are available for any changes or emergencies that could occur.

I for oe am not a fan, I think you should take private or public transportation.

• Like 3

Sometimes they will offer tours that are basically just transportation to a town. These can be spotted by the phrase "on your own".  Double check to see if you have any like that for your port stop. There are private tours in that area that will take you to Aix, along with other places. I've  been that way a couple of times. 

I also think there might be a train available. Have you checked the Ports of Call section?

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We like to do our own thing in each port rather than take ship excursions.  However, I feel like we are running out of options in Marseille to get to Aix-en-Provence.

Has anyone ever booked a shore excursion just to get to a destination but then tell the guide that they are not interested in staying with the group but will meet the bus at the appointed time?

We are thinking of taking the shore excursion and then breaking away from the group and rejoining when it is time to leave.

Has anyone done this? 

Appreciate any responses

Thanks,

Terri

You’re describing the behavior that folks on a ship group tour (that is not titled “ [location] on your own”) dread.
With the understanding that a group tour guide with a specified itinerary should never let someone leave the group, there are the occasional ones who don’t understand the concept of liability.

But, it does occasionally happen. And when it does,  a significant number of the “wanderers” show up late for departure back to the ship. 

When you say you’re “running out of options” for Aix-en-Provence, it’s hard to believe that you cannot find a private guide with driver (or even just a driver) to do what you need. Of course, you may not want to pay that “private” tab. But, that option exists in every cruise port we’ve ever been to (including Marseilles).

7 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Aix on your own is not an option. I am not one that is late.  i would probably be back 30 minutes early , if not sooner.  So no worries there.

I just love the town and would like to wander on my own.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

“No worries there?” And what if unforeseen circumstances throw that promise right out the window?

Really, it sounds like you want the treatment guaranteed with a private tour at a group price.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“No worries there?” And what if unforeseen circumstances throw that promise right out the window?

Really, it sounds like you want the treatment guaranteed with a private tour at a group price.

Thank you for your advice.  I have done this on land tours a number of times without any problems.  I am asking if anyone ever did this. I know what it entails and am not asking to be reprimanded.  Yes, I do not want to pay for a private tour because that is not what I want. I want to be able to wander about on my own.  This is a city I know and enjoy and would be able to get back to the designated location in plenty of time.

Don’t need your sarcasm.

Terri

I found this website that offers lots of not too expensive options to make the short trip from Marseilles to  Aix-en-Provence .....hopefully this might provide you with the ability to do Aix on your own.... Marseille to Aix-en-Provence - 5 ways to travel via train, bus, and rideshare (rome2rio.com).  There is a direct train every hour....

Edited by basor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, basor said:

I found this website that offers lots of not too expensive options to make the short trip from Marseilles to  Aix-en-Provence .....hopefully this might provide you with the ability to do Aix on your own.... Marseille to Aix-en-Provence - 5 ways to travel via train, bus, and rideshare (rome2rio.com).  There is a direct train every hour....

thanks for your help.  i think that is what we will end up doing. 

That way we do not have any time constrictions.

Terri

23 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you for your advice.  I have done this on land tours a number of times without any problems.  I am asking if anyone ever did this. I know what it entails and am not asking to be reprimanded.  Yes, I do not want to pay for a private tour because that is not what I want. I want to be able to wander about on my own.  This is a city I know and enjoy and would be able to get back to the designated location in plenty of time.

Don’t need your sarcasm.

Terri

Hardly sarcasm. Just reminding you of a standard practice in the hospitality industry in general and with Oceania specifically. The contracted tour guide that would let you do it (not just for a few minutes but for most, if not all, the time in that town) could lose his job and, his/her company could lose it’s O contract.

You can still accomplish what you want by hiring a driver or renting a car OR asking the destination desk on the ship to arrange that for you.. Again, sounds like the issue for you is money. 

L

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Hardly sarcasm. Just reminding you of a standard practice in the hospitality industry in general and with Oceania specifically. T he contracted tour guide that would let you do it (not just for a few minutes but for most, if not all, the time in that town) could lose his job and, his/her company could lose it’s O contract.

You can still accomplish what you want by hiring a driver or renting a car OR asking the destination desk on the ship to arrange that for you.. Again, sounds like the issue for you is money. 

The issue is not money.  I just don’t want a tour. Public transportation is a bit too difficult for us.

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

L

The issue is not money.  I just don’t want a tour. Public transportation is a bit too difficult for us.

You can hire a driver who doesn’t do anything but drop you off and pick you up.

If you have hotel loyalty status with any particular chain like Marriott or Intercontinental (or have previously stayed at an independent property there), email the concierge of their hotel at/near Marseilles or the town and ask for a recommendation. At worst (if the driver doesn’t have other work while you’re busy), you’d need a different driver each way.  The concierge may also know someone with a van for small groups who does that RT every day.

Also, using a hotel concierge would help to avoid an unknown from some other source.

We did exactly what you are proposing on an Oceania tour to Aix from "Marseille", so it is entirely possible.

First, and most important, Oceania DOES NOT PORT IN MARSEILLE CITY.  It ports in the Marseille Cruise Port, which is in the middle of nowhere some distance from Marseilles. I have not found any tours from the cruise port, and I think it's about 30-45 minutes to Marseille (and back!).  But when we last ported, there was a long line and wait for a free ship bus to Marseille.  All the tours I have found leave from the old Marseille Port which is in the city of Marseille.  I was unable to find a car rental in the cruise port, and there is nothing to do or see there.  Maybe there's some new stuff there now, but I won't chance it...

I've verified that this is where we will port on our spring 2022 cruise on Marina, and we will take a ship tour from there again this spring.  It's really the only option.

So, as for leaving the ship tour in Aix, after walking with the group for awhile, we spoke with the guide and asked if we could take off on our own.  We agreed on a meeting point and a time and there was no problem that I recall.  We have done this several times on ship tours, and make sure that we are at the designated meeting spot at the required time.  I think I recall the Aix tour may have had some free time in the tour description anyway.  It's never been a problem for us, but I do remember some tours where we did have to wait awhile for others.  

So IMHO, it's a sensible thing for responsible adults to do.  We would much prefer to do an "on your own" tour,  but I don't believe it's offered for Aix.  And hiring a private driver is too costly for the two of us.  BTW, the train station is in the city of Marseille too.

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Don’t need your sarcasm.

Terri

So you are only looking for comments from like-minded people who think it's ok to do this? Why did you even make the post? We are telling you that it's not ok...and for solidly good reasons. That isn't sarcasm. You just don't want to hear it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

L

Publix transportation is too difficult, but taking off and wandering around yourself is doable?  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, su-arizona said:

We did exactly what you are proposing on an Oceania tour to Aix from "Marseille", so it is entirely possible.

First, and most important, Oceania DOES NOT PORT IN MARSEILLE CITY.  It ports in the Marseille Cruise Port, which is in the middle of nowhere some distance from Marseilles. I have not found any tours from the cruise port, and I think it's about 30-45 minutes to Marseille (and back!).  But when we last ported, there was a long line and wait for a free ship bus to Marseille.  All the tours I have found leave from the old Marseille Port which is in the city of Marseille.  I was unable to find a car rental in the cruise port, and there is nothing to do or see there.  Maybe there's some new stuff there now, but I won't chance it...

I've verified that this is where we will port on our spring 2022 cruise on Marina, and we will take a ship tour from there again this spring.  It's really the only option.

So, as for leaving the ship tour in Aix, after walking with the group for awhile, we spoke with the guide and asked if we could take off on our own.  We agreed on a meeting point and a time and there was no problem that I recall.  We have done this several times on ship tours, and make sure that we are at the designated meeting spot at the required time.  I think I recall the Aix tour may have had some free time in the tour description anyway.  It's never been a problem for us, but I do remember some tours where we did have to wait awhile for others.  

So IMHO, it's a sensible thing for responsible adults to do.  We would much prefer to do an "on your own" tour,  but I don't believe it's offered for Aix.  And hiring a private driver is too costly for the two of us.  BTW, the train station is in the city of Marseille too.

I have had tour operators pick us up at the industrial port in Marseille on 3 different occasions, this is two different companies, so it's definitely an option. A shared tour with 3 or 4 couples is not that expensive. 

But to each their own. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Publix transportation is too difficult, but taking off and wandering around yourself is doable?  

See su-Arizona’s post as to where to get public transportation and how difficult it is to get to the train station. it is difficult to keep up with a group.  Going at our own pace would make it a bit easier. 

No, my question was, has anyone done this and is it acceptable i was not asking for a lecture.  

If the answer is that it should not be done, then I won’t do it.  

Thank you for your input.

Terri

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Has anyone done this? 

Appreciate any responses

Thanks,

Terri

Yes....Istanbul  after St sophia  they headed to the carpet sales demo.. We said bye  we will get to the ship on your own..   Headed into the bazzzar  with compas headings... spent 3 hours wandering  and walking back.    No problem         I would say once you leave  you leave and they cross you off the list of care for. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.   If by some luck you show up where the bus is  and  make the departure   that is a crap shoot.     Return times are nebulous and can vairy widely....  its a one way deal, if you do leave

• Like 2

Terri, I've seen it done in various locations on a several cruises without any problems.  People simply tell the tour guide that they're going to wander for a bit on their own and ask what time they should be back at the bus.  One time, the guide asked for their phone number so that they could be reached if there were some sort of change.  Tour guides are not in the business of doing forced marches and, if you tell them you won't be able to keep up, they would probably encourage you to go your own way at your own pace.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes....Istanbul  after St sophia  they headed to the carpet sales demo.. We said bye  we will get to the ship on your own..   Headed into the bazzzar  with compas headings... spent 3 hours wandering  and walking back.    No problem         I would say once you leave  you leave and they cross you off the list of care for. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.   If by some luck you show up where the bus is  and  make the departure   that is a crap shoot.     Return times are nebulous and can vairy widely....  its a one way deal, if you do leave

Agree to disagree. Once O sells you that tour ticket, they accept a reasonable degree of common sense responsibility for you (as does their contracted tour providers).That some minimum wage guide for a tour company doesn’t adhere to the rules doesn’t make it ok. 

• Like 1

It should be pointed out that no one posting here speaks for Oceania. They can relate what they think the rule is, things that might have occurred in the past, or what they do. The only people that really could answer your question would be Destination Services once onboard. I do know it makes the tour guides nervous when anyone in their group tries to break off on their own. Obviously they have some responsibility for everyone in their group. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

It should be pointed out that no one posting here speaks for Oceania. They can relate what they think the rule is, things that might have occurred in the past, or what they do. The only people that really could answer your question would be Destination Services once onboard. I do know it makes the tour guides nervous when anyone in their group tries to break off on their own. Obviously they have some responsibility for everyone in their group. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have decided that we will not take a ship excursion but continue to explore other options.  

Thanks for your response.

Terri