Rapid Antigen Testing - Let's talk $$$

Luv2Cruze4

On 2/24/2022 at 6:05 PM, Fouremco said:

I don't know if this is close to you, but this Costco offers testing according to the website:

7500 Pin Oak Dr

Niagara Falls

I just checked again and they only offer vaccinations there, no testing.  Wish they did.

2 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

I just checked again and they only offer vaccinations there, no testing.  Wish they did.

My apologies, you are right, it's only vaccinations that they offer.  I'd been going back and forth between threads on where to get vaccines and this one on testing and confused the two. :classic_sad: 

Hello. Apologies,  I'm sure this question has been answered before. We are departing on the Carnival Horizon on April 10th, so we plan on taking our pre-departure test on Friday April 8th here in Ottawa (Kanata), at our local SDM. The issue we have is that the last time we were on a cruise was with Celebrity in December 2021, we did our pre-departure test at SDM in Kanata. The results were hand written on the form. Fortunately, Celebrity accepted the hand written test results. Carnival however explicitly mentions in their FAQ  that hand written results are unacceptable. Does anyone know if Rexall or other places will provide digital (I.e. not hand written) results on their form?

Thank you.
image.thumb.png.7a6b6b3808d14bc5b68b4a01c33e1c9f.png

12 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Hello. Apologies,  I'm sure this question has been answered before. We are departing on the Carnival Horizon on April 10th, so we plan on taking our pre-departure test on Friday April 8th here in Ottawa (Kanata), at our local SDM. The issue we have is that the last time we were on a cruise was with Celebrity in December 2021, we did our pre-departure test at SDM in Kanata. The results were hand written on the form. Fortunately, Celebrity accepted the hand written test results. Carnival however explicitly mentions in their FAQ  that hand written results are unacceptable. Does anyone know if Rexall or other places will provide digital (I.e. not hand written) results on their form?

Thank you.

We are getting our tests done in 2 weeks time and were told that the results were going to be emailed. That should be the norm now.

18 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Thank you.

Check with the SDM where you plan on being tested. Most have now started using printed results, and/or sending by email. If it is still using hand written results, go to a different SDM or to Costco, Rexall or Walmart.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 3:00 PM, boater3 said:

The 3 companies they listed were American websites from what I could see for the at home tests.  I don't understand.  They say they are not affiliated with those companies.  The Switch test doesn't look like it's a problem if you're going to US but we are going to France. I wish they were like Celebrity!

I just heard back from Viking Guest Services and they gave me this website below.

I checked it out but it's not for at-home testing but rather clinics listed in the Toronto area mainly.  They appear to be a little cheaper than Life Labs, however further for us to drive to. It is a company that Viking appears to accept results from.

FYI. 

Please see website below as an option:

https://www.labs2go.ca/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMCT_Oyi9gIVpB-tBh3fqAp1EAAYAyAAEgIfyfD_BwE

Kindly let me know if you have any further questions.

Just to clarify with the stress in terms of the antigen tests.. A lot of the cruiselines are super particular when it comes to at home tests. 

The antigen in-lab tests aren't quite as rigid. As long as its a true lab-performed test, as long as it includes the information they need to see -- it should be accepted. There are a ton of these kinds of places in Toronto to do antigen tests. Its what comes on the report and that it isnt handwritten thats the big deal.

Edited by DHLuCruise

Am just wondering why would you need a back up plan.

we are leaving YYZ on March 27th 7.30 am. So far have only one appointment with Rexall on March 26th at 2pm. Should we have a second appointment at other place also.

1 hour ago, 14Canadian said:

we are leaving YYZ on March 27th 7.30 am. So far have only one appointment with Rexall on March 26th at 2pm. Should we have a second appointment at other place also.

There have been a few posts reporting that a pharmacy was unable to provide the test for one reason or another. Whether a home test kit or a second appointment, it's worth considering a Plan B just in case.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 14Canadian said:

While rare, tests do fail and have to be redone. Occasionally results are not received for a host of reasons.

Given that test results are critical to travel, having a backup plan is prudent.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, boater3 said:

Apparently the Switch Health at home test is not lab certified. It is done virtually but not sent to a lab.  Justin from Switch Health confirms that.  Looks like we will be driving down to Oshawa and paying the $150 pp 72 hrs. in advance and having the PCR test.  I certainly don't want to take any chances and have a test done within 24 hrs. of our 5pm flight. They guarantee results within 48 hrs. Lots to think about in advance with travelling these days. Not a lot of testing options in the area where we live that conform to Viking.  I sure hope things settle down before our next river cruise in October!  We do love Viking however, other than this issue. 

I am 99.99% sure this is just semantics and the Switch Health results sheet would be perfectly fine for your travels as they would be certifying the result (and they are just as much a lab as say Walgreens or Shoppers Drug Mart is). No antigen test is sent to a lab, only PCRs are. 

That being said, if you can get your hands on one of the free rapid tests packs being given out by the Ontario Government (the green boxes, Rapid Response brand), Azova, which is one of the companies Viking links to on their website, will proctor it for you for $20 US each: https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Edited by cmich068

22 minutes ago, cmich068 said:

I am 99.99% sure this is just semantics and the Switch Health results sheet would be perfectly fine for your travels as they would be certifying the result (and they are just as much a lab as say Walgreens or Shoppers Drug Mart is). No antigen test is sent to a lab, only PCRs are. 

That being said, if you can get your hands on one of the free rapid tests packs being given out by the Ontario Government (the green boxes, Rapid Response brand), Azova, which is one of the companies Viking links to on their website, will proctor it for you for $20 US each: https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Thanks very much for the information, however I just booked the PCR test to be done in Oshawa that is lab-certified.  I will keep your response and info for when we go away in October if they are still requiring testing in advance at that time.  No refunds are given for booked tests.  I would like to hear from anyone who is taking a Viking cruise as to whether they took this test and it was accepted.  I do have the rapid test pack that was picked up at Sobey's.  I appreciate your feedback and believe you are right in your thinking.

• Like 1