Celebrity from southampton

Cruise Anorak

Going on Celebrity from Southampton- 1st time . How strict are they about taking on drinks. I know they allow 2 bottles of wine pre cabin, but do they (Celebrity) check your suitcases for extras. I know the security people are not looking for that, but do the cruise line put any of their staff checking.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Can't answer specifically for Celebrity, but my understanding is that suitcases are scanned by port security staff, who are looking for guns, knives etc, not an odd bottle of wine.

Mind you, I thought Celebrity included all drinks, so not sure if it would be necessary to put a bottle in your suitcase.

On 2/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, Cruise Anorak said:

Going on Celebrity from Southampton- 1st time . How strict are they about taking on drinks. I know they allow 2 bottles of wine pre cabin, but do they (Celebrity) check your suitcases for extras. I know the security people are not looking for that, but do the cruise line put any of their staff checking.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Yes they do. If you have a look at the US threads, you will find a whole new world of smuggling techniques. We are sailing with Celebrity in July from Southampton and won't bother smuggling a couple of bottles as we have a drinks package. Even without spending a few thousand on a cruise and then sneaking a couple of bottles seems a bit mean 

On 2/26/2022 at 4:19 PM, wowzz said:

Can't answer specifically for Celebrity, but my understanding is that suitcases are scanned by port security staff, who are looking for guns, knives etc, not an odd bottle of wine.

Mind you, I thought Celebrity included all drinks, so not sure if it would be necessary to put a bottle in your suitcase.

Suitcases are X-rayed. If in doubt they go to the naughty room.

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

Yes they do. If you have a look at the US threads, you will find a whole new world of smuggling techniques. We are sailing with Celebrity in July from Southampton and won't bother smuggling a couple of bottles as we have a drinks package. Even without spending a few thousand on a cruise and then sneaking a couple of bottles seems a bit mean 

I agree with you about sneaking bottles on board,  especially as drinks are included on Celebrity. 

However, security checks for alcohol are non existent in Southampton,  compared to the US.

And, hypothetically,  if you put one bottle of wine in your carry on case, and another bottle in your suitcase, there is no way that the two bottles would be traced back to you.

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree with you about sneaking bottles on board,  especially as drinks are included on Celebrity. 

However, security checks for alcohol are non existent in Southampton,  compared to the US.

And, hypothetically,  if you put one bottle of wine in your carry on case, and another bottle in your suitcase, there is no way that the two bottles would be traced back to you.

Thanks for the tip Wowzz. We have an RCI cruise booked for early September and don't ( yet ) have a drinks package. We can smuggle a couple of extra bottles on. If we get caught, we can say that you told us it was ok. I think our two allowed bottles will last until Vigo. Second thoughts, may just pay their silly prices onboard. It's only a week .We are on Iona for 2 weeks in October, so may test out P&O surveillance capabilities as we meander around the Canaries.🍾

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If we get caught, we can say that you told us it was ok. 

That should work !

If you and Mrs Zapp can make two bottles last until Vigo you are being far more abstemious than me and Mrs W. Our two bottles have normally been dispatched before we pass the IoW !  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know 99% of celebrity cruises come with an included drinks package but ours doesn't. Will take our two bottles of wine and enjoy our Elite happy hour drinks, otherwise will pay as we go