Panorama ( or all Vista Class? ) Elevator Public announcement.

Yehootu

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

What you do there is hit the button two more times and all will get B.

I will try to avoid any ship with this kind of system. But if I ever do find myself on one I will be thanking you for having already armed me to game the system when I have to make those split second decisions. Not kidding, this kind of information can be quite useful when one doesn't have time to stop and think about things.

But of course this handy trick also throws off the efficiency of the system.

12 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You still have over 20 ships in the fleet with normal elevators.  Just avoid the Horizon and the Panorama and you'll be happy.

We have been happily cruising while avoiding all Vista class ships since our Vista cruise in 2018.

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

So do people trying to game the system push the button more times? Say, a party of 2 pushes the button 8 times in hopes of getting a private elevator that will only stop on their floor?

You can try that but people will still get on. Not that I've tried that. I will hit the button extra times to get a new elevator when I can tell one is going to be full. 10 people are waiting to get on elevator A because they didn't all hit the button. I'll hit it until it gives me a different elevator. 

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

So do people trying to game the system push the button more times? Say, a party of 2 pushes the button 8 times in hopes of getting a private elevator that will only stop on their floor?

Probably a lot less likely to happen than people who would think it funny to press the max number if the system were to accept a number rather than touching the button once for each passenger.

From a programming side, it is done backwards, it should be number of passengers and then floor.  This would keep parties from being split up and causing all the issues.  Flow in my mind should be...  Accessible (if needed, not a required input), party size, then deck.  Solves so many issues.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
7 hours ago, willyt25 said:

From a programming side, it is done backwards, it should be number of passengers and then floor.  This would keep parties from being split up and causing all the issues.  Flow in my mind should be...  Accessible (if needed, not a required input), party size, then deck.  Solves so many issues.

Agree, but you're missing out on so many laughs if you just sit back and let it happen. 😁

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 10:49 AM, Saint Greg said:

My guess is the system wasn't designed for cruise ships where thousands of people are going all over the place at the same time...And companies that make systems like that charge a lot of money for custom changes.

If you wanted to not have your elevator car stuffed, you could push the number of people multiple times. So, if 2 of you want to get from level 0 to the Lido deck, you'd depress the button four to six times. Sometimes, it would work and you wouldn't be stuffed like a rotund dachshund.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, icft said:

We have been happily cruising while avoiding all Vista class ships since our Vista cruise in 2018.

Oh, the Vista is "safe" as far as Crazy Newfangled Elevators are concerned.  Unless they brought the smart elevators back, the Vista only had the smart system for about two or three weeks , which happened to coincide with our sailing.  

I thought the system was nifty -- I had never seen a smart elevator system before -- but I agree:  there should be some pre-cruise info or email sent to passengers on the Panorama and the Horizon giving a heads-up on how the system is (or...can be) more efficient, and to press the floor button once and only once for each member in your party.  

wow.

This has to blow up all the time. I can't imagine more than half the people following these instructions reliably.  The first few days must be chaos.  And then there will be an elevator with 2 mobility scooters that can't fit the assigned number. So now you re-enter the queue behind all the other people waiting?  screw that.

5 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

wow.

This has to blow up all the time. I can't imagine more than half the people following these instructions reliably.  The first few days must be chaos.  And then there will be an elevator with 2 mobility scooters that can't fit the assigned number. So now you re-enter the queue behind all the other people waiting?  screw that.

So you haven’t actually tried it? But already you know it can’t work and have decided not to try following the directions. Mobility scooter people are supposed to enter more than one person to allow for the extra room. (These elevators rarely fill if properly used because they are so efficient) It would also be pretty difficult to get two scooters in one elevator, but again if properly called, there would be not problem. The one thing you are right about is that half the people WILL not rather than CANNOT follow the instructions. These things do work better if only people weren’t such A’s.

I try to teach efficiency at my job but most people are unwilling to learn or try—especially those who complain the loudest about being overworked.

• Like 2

How many people do they cram into the elevators? I am extremely claustrophobic and usually use the glass elevators so I can see out. I will use the stairs a lot but will also need to use the elevators at times. 

16 minutes ago, tytanbri said:

How many people do they cram into the elevators? I am extremely claustrophobic and usually use the glass elevators so I can see out. I will use the stairs a lot but will also need to use the elevators at times. 

When people follow the directions, there are way fewer people in the smart elevators than in the others. Not having buttons on the inside helps to deter some of the offenders and the efficiency allows fewer people in each car. Full cars are not stopping on every floor when no one can get in.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

wow.

There's a handicapped button that those with scooters or wheelchairs touch.

3 hours ago, tytanbri said:

Just push the button for the amount of people in your party.  If there are two of you, push it five times and you'll have your own elevator

• Like 1

The biggest problem is Carnival doesn't use enough signage for new people to learn the system. When we were on the Panama, the only sign that described the elevator operation was the electronic sign by the elevators. It was constantly switching from one screen to another, describing various activities on the ship. If you were not looking at it at the right time, you would have no instructions on how to use them.