Horseshoe Bay transfer

cruisingalong2018

I have a 5 day cruise to Bermuda scheduled for June.  I did this same cruise (different ship) pre-Covid.  On the earlier cruise we did pay for the Horseshoe Bay transfer through Royal.  I saw many taxis at the port, and probably didn't need to purchase from Royal.  Should I purchase the transfer this time? I was wondering if there are restrictions due to  Covid, and maybe the taxis aren't running.

54 minutes ago, cruisingalong2018 said:

I was wondering if there are restrictions due to  Covid, and maybe the taxis aren't running

Things could and likely will change by June - wait till reports start coming in. 

In the early days of the restart when Vision was supposed to sail from Bermuda, Bermuda had some very strict protocols for ground transportation.  Most buses became impractical to the point it was difficult to get from the airport to the ship on boarding day.  

I stopped following how protocols progressed on Bermuda but if they are still strict with protocols it might be smart to buy the "excursion" now knowing you can cancel it a few days before the cruise.  Once we get closer to your cruise look into it again.  

• Like 1

NCL shared some 2022 cruising protocol info today at this link: 

www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country 

Be sure to scroll down the page to the "by country" section to view the Bermuda protocol specifics. 

Kind of sounds like even getting off the ship is going to be an involved process... PRC test required no earlier than 4 days before cruise departure,  PRC results and travel authorization form to be sent to the Bermuda Tourism website prior to sailing,  and then an antigen test required upon arrival in Bermuda before disembarking the ship.😲

Whew... I am tired just thinking about getting all that straight during the few days pre-travel when I am already worried about packing and making sure all is in order to sail. 😉 I love Bermuda and Horseshoe Bay, but I am not sure all that work would be worth it.... lol. 

Edited by patrioticgirl

20 minutes ago, patrioticgirl said:

Be sure to scroll down the page to the "by country" section to view the Bermuda protocol specifics. 

Kind of sounds like even getting off the ship is going to be an involved process..... 😲

Sure hope these change before I sail in the fall. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, katiecat said:

My thoughts exactly. Just today I considered booking a 9 night May voyage to Bermuda and the Bahamas simply because the overnight in Bermuda made it tempting, but with those protocols in place, I think not.. lol. 

Edited by patrioticgirl

1 hour ago, patrioticgirl said:

Kind of sounds like even getting off the ship is going to be an involved process... PRC test required no earlier than 4 days before cruise departure,  PRC results and travel authorization form to be sent to the Bermuda Tourism website prior to sailing,  and then an antigen test required upon arrival in Bermuda before disembarking the ship.😲

Whew... I am tired just thinking about getting all that straight during the few days pre-travel when I am already worried about packing and making sure all is in order to sail. 😉 I love Bermuda and Horseshoe Bay, but I am not sure all that work would be worth it.... lol. 

42 minutes ago, katiecat said:

35 minutes ago, patrioticgirl said:

My thoughts exactly. Just today I considered booking a 9 night May voyage to Bermuda and the Bahamas simply because the overnight in Bermuda made it tempting, but with those protocols in place, I think not.. lol. 

Although that page was updated today it was other countries, not Bermuda's requirements, that were updated. The Bermuda requirements listed are still from 2021.

Bermuda has new less onerous requirements that come into effect on March 7. For example antigen tests will now permitted for entry .

Bermuda has not yet finalized the details of its 2022 cruise protocols . They're expected to do so shortly and when that's done the cruise lines will publish them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisingalong2018 said:

I have a 5 day cruise to Bermuda scheduled for June.  I did this same cruise (different ship) pre-Covid.  On the earlier cruise we did pay for the Horseshoe Bay transfer through Royal.  I saw many taxis at the port, and probably didn't need to purchase from Royal.  Should I purchase the transfer this time? I was wondering if there are restrictions due to  Covid, and maybe the taxis aren't running.

Taxis are running. You may want to consider the shuttle mini buses for transportation to Horseshoe Bay. They're much cheaper than either taxis or cruise line transfers. I don't know the current price but IIRC it was $7  per person in each direction.

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Although that page was updated today it was other countries, not Bermuda's requirements, that were updated. The Bermuda requirements listed are still from 2021.

Bermuda has new less onerous requirements that come into effect on March 7. For example antigen tests will now permitted for entry .

Bermuda has not yet finalized the details of its 2022 cruise protocols . They're expected to do so shortly and when that's done the cruise lines will publish them.

njhorseman, thank you for the clarification... 🙂

I just found the 2022 protocol information posted on the Gov't of Bermuda website: https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation 

Edited by patrioticgirl

26 minutes ago, patrioticgirl said:

njhorseman, thank you for the clarification... 🙂

I just found the 2022 protocol information posted on the Gov't of Bermuda website: https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation 

However if you scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Are you a cruise passenger" the page it takes you to still hasn't been updated to reflect the new protocols. Last years procedures are still displayed there. The new procedures are expected to be available soon.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 8:52 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Bermuda has not yet announced protocols for summer sailings.

Taxis tend to be expensive in Bermuda.  We love to take their public buses and get to meet locals.  

I like the buses too but that walk up the hill from Horseshoe Bay is absolutely brutal after a beach day.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, billslowsky said:

I like the buses too but that walk up the hill from Horseshoe Bay is absolutely brutal after a beach day.

I thought they used to (pre-covid) have shuttle buses that would take you up the hill?

2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I thought they used to (pre-covid) have shuttle buses that would take you up the hill?

22 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

The old days had some vans, $1 to go down the hill or $2 round trip or uphill only.

Haven't seen the shuttle for a few years...ever since mini buses became the primary mode of transportation between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay. 

7 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

The minibuses that cost $7 a person from the Dockyard go down and up the hill. The fellow that did the $1, then $2 rides gave that up after the advent of the minibuses. Probably did not have enough business. I saw him driving  a $7 minibus. a few years ago. The mininbuses from the Dockyard have really taken off. Also Bermuda eliminated the Express Public buses to Horseshoe.