Back from the Edge Review of Feb 20 Sailing and hints and Tips I wish I had known before I sailed.

Hello Everyone. I am just back from the Edge. It was cruise number 25 for us and 5th on Celebrity, 1st on the Edge Class.  We enjoyed it overall. I thought in addition to a traditional review I would start a review with pictures and throw in some hints those of you going on the Edge in the near future might find helpful. 

The February 20th Sailing was an odd itinerary we were supposed to go to San Juan, but it got substituted with Nassau and then Tortola and St Maarten.  We booked a Concierge Class room with the new Edge "Infinite Veranda" 

We flew in the day before and stayed in one of the hotels near the cruise port. We booked a Van service as there were notices at the hotel advising not to use Uber and Lift to go to the pier. Apparently there have been problems recently. 

As I mentioned we had a Concierge Class Room with the new "Infinite Veranda" and honestly I am not sure I liked it for the Caribbean. For Alaska it would be fantastic - We did an Alaska cruise and spent a lot of time on the balcony of our state room and it was freezing. With the Infinite Veranda you have wall to wall floor to celling windows. 

Our stateroom was on deck 11, the service was excellent as usual.  

The window is split in two sections a top and bottom, the bottom is fixed in place and the Top moves to open.  It is a novelty. We opened it, the room immediately got hot, (the air conditioning turns off the moment the window opens.) So we rarely opened it making it a very expense Ocean View room. Something to consider when booking. 

There were two other negatives with the Infinite Veranda design in my opinion. 

1) The shade has gaps around the edges and it lets a lot more light in than the traditional curtains so we got woken up early with bright light in the room. 

2) We tend to travel with groups and book rooms next to each other. With Traditional Veranda Rooms we can open the balcony dividers and have a shared space among our group. That is not possible with the Infinite Veranda design. As a result we spent less time than usual in the room.  Honestly if I were to book Edge again, I would seriously consider either booking a suite, (more on that later) or saving money and booking an interior stateroom.

• Like 2

Interesting on the shade, I've never closed the curtains in my room on a cruise that I know of.  IF the sun is up, I'm awake, or should be.  🙂

Does the AC stay on if those frosted doors are closed?  I've seen varying reports.  

Keep bring the tips, I'm sailing Apex later this March. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

27 minutes ago, The Flying Pirate said:

One of the signs explaining the Uber and Lyft Issues at the Port. Could be a "Marketing" thing to take the contracted vans. We decided not to take a chance and booked the Contracted van. It was easy and $11 per person 

Edge Ubar and Lyft Sign.JPG

Easy stay in the car and go back to the hotel and try again turn it over to Uber or Lyft to stort out. 

I have use uber the last ten years without any problems but if you have extra cash for a shuttle, not to mention being shoulder to shoulder with someone you don’t know.

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Interesting on the shade, I've never closed the curtains in my room on a cruise that I know of.  IF the sun is up, I'm awake, or should be.  🙂

Does the AC stay on if those frosted doors are closed?  I've seen varying reports.  

Keep bring the tips, I'm sailing Apex later this March. 

No the frosted doors have no effect on the Air Conditioning. The are just decorative. The window has sensors that control the AC

• Like 1

I’m on the Edge in early April with the same itinerary - following this post with interest.  Thank you for the pics of your room. We booked a sunset veranda in order to get a “real” balcony, looks like we made the right decision. I like to have the option of going outside to read while my husband sleeps in, it doesn’t look like the infinite veranda would work well for this.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, The Flying Pirate said:

One of the signs explaining the Uber and Lyft Issues at the Port. Could be a "Marketing" thing to take the contracted vans. We decided not to take a chance and booked the Contracted van. It was easy and $11 per person 

Edge Ubar and Lyft Sign.JPG

I'm not buying this. An Uber for 2 people would be less than $22, the hotel just wants the revenue.

Plus, if you were indeed "dropped off at the gate" which is a good mile or two from the ship, wouldn't you report that to Uber? And then that driver would be tagged as "unable to deliver to pier" and those trips would not be offered to them via the app. Remember you have to pick your drop off point so its not like the driver and Uber doesn't know where they are taking you.

• Like 8

The check in process at the pier was seamless. I think we were on board in less than 5 min. We did all the pre-travel homework. Had our Covid Test - we purchased the test kit through the cruise line. It was simple and easy. 

Once on board we dropped our carry on bags and explored the ship. We learned from earlier cruises that we enjoyed the specialty restaurants so we took some time to check them out and look at menus. 

We talked to the staff at Raw on 5 which is a new Sushi/seafood specialty expanding on the "Sushi on 5" on the other ships. 

They offer multiple meal "deals" on the specialty restaurants. We have taken advantage of this in the past. We also knew that sailing day they are more likely to make a deal for specialty restaurants for reservations for that day. Raw on 5 did that for us and we took advantage of it. Basically the "deal" was we booked a 3 meal package and then booked Raw on 5 for $45/person and they gave us an "unlimited" meal to sample as much as we liked.  It was amazing, easily one of the top meals we have had at sea. Highly recommend it. (Well unless you have  shell fish allergy then stay away)  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chriskoo said:

I’m on the Edge in early April with the same itinerary - following this post with interest.  Thank you for the pics of your room. We booked a sunset veranda in order to get a “real” balcony, looks like we made the right decision. I like to have the option of going outside to read while my husband sleeps in, it doesn’t look like the infinite veranda would work well for this.

Excellent choice, you are correct. If you have the window shade open he will not be sleeping

• Like 1