Question for cruisemom42

jbdawg

You have extensive knowledge in the rome/italy area. what are your must have take back home things from this area. I assume wine is at the top of most peoples  lists, what else do you find best here? We are coffee snobs, always get Blue Mountain in Jamaica and Kona in Hawaii. I have lived in Germany a couple of years in the past and assume coffee not much different, is it remarkable?

Edited by Host Bonjour
topic description was CC member handle only

Let me start by saying that I am not that much of a shopper, although I enjoy window shopping and casual browsing. A long time ago I purchased a gorgeous ceramic oversized platter in Turkey and tried to carry it home with me. I made it all the way to my home airport when a clumsy person whacked my bag with their heavy suitcase when trying to grab it off the luggage carousel and -- let's just say heartbreak ensued as well as a vow to not try to bring anything large or breakable home from my travels.

Now to Rome. Rome is a large capital city, so of course you'll find all the major designer shops there in the vicinity of via Condotti (near the Spanish Steps).  I find the Italian designers (at least those based in Rome) to have more interesting men's apparel than women's. In Italy men are peacocks, lol. (And that reminds me, silk ties for men tend to be interesting, colorful, and a good purchase.)  This is as opposed to Paris where the focus seems to be primarily on women's fashion.

Some one off/unique things to shop for in Rome:

Leather goods:  Italy is known for leather, but be sure you're getting the "real deal". Cheap leather often has an unpleasant smell from the cheap tanning/processing/finishing. Bags and shoes are good buys; shoes are often cut narrow.  For a really unique experience, buy some leather gloves at Sermoneta; I've posted about this elsewhere.

Antique prints: There are a couple of stores near the Pantheon that sell antique prints of places like the Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon as well as other iconic Roman (and Italian) sites if you want to bring a souvenir of your travels that will look nice at home. Many sizes and price ranges, framed or unframed. It's fun to spend time choosing one. (Antique and rare books are also another specialty in Rome....)

Modern design:  Modern Italian design is unique and quirky. A number of stores sell small home accessories that look stylish but are still easy to carry home -- things like kitchen utensils, candle holders, etc. that can make nice gifts. Here's a link to a list of some stores that are located near areas where tourists are likely to venture: The Best Interior Design Stores in Rome | Romeing  Chez Dede is another new favorite for many.

Knitwear:  Italy is known for knitwear, from Missoni (designer) to mid-level cashmere and merino knits to Benetton for the masses. A Missoni scarf makes a nice (and unmistakeable) souvenir.

These are just a few ideas. I'm sure others who shop more than I do will share more. Both gold jewelry and costume jewelry are probably good items -- Italians are known for their workmanship in gold and for their design -- but I'm not really a jewelry person. I would venture to guess that you will find lovely designs/pieces but do not expect bargains.

I would say Rome is NOT the place to shop for ceramics (many other cities in Italy specialize in these, but Rome, not so much...) or olive oil. I've never shopped for wine -- With the exception of a few wines out of Tuscany, Italy is more a culture of good, affordable wine, and I can easily find many of the varieties I enjoy at home. DON'T buy the specialty pastas (strange colors/shapes) in the touristy stores -- they are more for looks than for taste!

Link to an earlier post about Sermoneta:  

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

I appreciate the Info for sure, I will look at the prints, i think I will tell my wife customs wont let you bring back shoes ;>). after Rome we are headed to Greece (santorni/athens)  hoping for some epic olives and oil there. for unique  leather since you mentioned it, I go to Australia a lot for work and found this place

https://www.rmwilliams.com/

they are in many cities there, really good boot and belts if you want a good gift, they have cowboy culture there in almost all of the rural areas and a lot of leather shops. williams is very high quality.

sorry to hear the platter story, I know that one hurt!

thanks again for the info!!

I have not been impressed with shopping in Rome.  I'll pick up some earrings that will remind me of Rome when I wear them. Unless you are buying an unusual bottle of wine, it's not worth the hassle of wrapping and putting it in your checked bag.   Like Cynthia said, Rome is not a ceramics center.  That said, I do remember a little shop near Il Tempio di Adriano that had a nice selection of Italian ceramics.  

If you want to bring back some coffee,  hit up the Tazzo d' Oro coffee shop near the Pantheon.  Pick up a bag of beans and a caffe granita with whip on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Strolling Via Condotti to window shop is always fun. On our last visit, found a small china/glass store (can't remember the name) who sold a nice collection of Alessi items. Purchased the cutest coffee spoons in the Anna collection.  Easy to pack and great memories every time we use them.

2 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Strolling Via Condotti to window shop is always fun. On our last visit, found a small china/glass store (can't remember the name) who sold a nice collection of Alessi items. Purchased the cutest coffee spoons in the Anna collection.  Easy to pack and great memories every time we use them.

Sounds like Modigliani. Nice store and agree it has some nice (and authentically made in Italy) items. I bought some espresso cups there a few years ago.

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sounds like Modigliani. Nice store and agree it has some nice (and authentically made in Italy) items. I bought some espresso cups there a few years ago.

Your are right cruisemom42!  Just googled Modigliani and recognized the store front. Thanks for refreshing my memory:classic_biggrin:

Window shopping is all I can do on Via Condotti!  I saw a nice enameled bracelet in one window - Co.Ro - looked at the price EU560!! Walked away.  

There was a really nice crystal jewelry store a block or two off Via Condotti.  Really reasonably priced.   I wish I could remember the name.  I bought a nice necklace and earrings there for under EU200.  My thing is to walk the streets 2 blocks parallel to Via Condotti on both sides of it - you can find some good things around there. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluecruisin said:

Cruisemom, I have read your advice on Rome hotels. If I can please quickly change the subject, Have you ever stayed at the Liberty Boutique hotel or know anybody who has? Thank you

I am not personally familiar with it. The hotel looks nice BUT it is located on the far side of Termini station. Is that your prime reason for booking it?  It's not the most central for sightseeing....

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

I am not personally familiar with it. The hotel looks nice BUT it is located on the far side of Termini station. Is that your prime reason for booking it?  It's not the most central for sightseeing....

I wanted something with a terrace, clean comfortable and good breakfast. I can not walk far, we have tours hat provide hotel pickup. It seems like there are several good places lo eat within a half block. I plan on

writing a review after our stay.

• Like 1

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Question for cruisemom42