Biodegradable sunscreen on board?

Hello, 

I am planning a cruise on the Oasis soon and am going to see if I can do it with a carry on only. Since I'm flying I can't get the biodegradable sunscreen I need for my excursions before I go. Do they sell it on board? In the ports? Or should I find a place to buy it in Miami?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, mrskitkat said:

Hello, 

I am planning a cruise on the Oasis soon and am going to see if I can do it with a carry on only. Since I'm flying I can't get the biodegradable sunscreen I need for my excursions before I go. Do they sell it on board? In the ports? Or should I find a place to buy it in Miami?

Thank you!

Okay, I will bite and dare to ask what they make it out of.

Sailed Allure in December. They had one option for reef-safe sunscreen. Not my favorite (I thought it felt a little greasy), but it works well enough. 

4BC7B4B7-C962-40E7-9747-B880D235886B.thumb.jpeg.f717187c15c0a601c2d13f7aa240aa12.jpeg

We always try to pack a sunscreen “stick” or two when we fly. That plus swim shirts/rash guards and we’re set.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Okay, I will bite and dare to ask what they make it out of.

I have no idea but they are free from chemicals that are harmful to ecosystem.   I just hope it works aw well as normal sunscreen since I burn just thinking about the sun.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, topnole said:

Is “regular” sunscreen not biodegradable?   

I guess not. From a website I looked at to figure out what it was "Biodegradable sunscreen is actually a type of sunscreen that is free from a majority of the chemical ingredients that are often found in regular sunscreen. It is considered to be eco-friendly in that it will not damage plant and animal life as it washes off".

It's required at all of our snorkeling excursions. 

• Thanks 1

I bought some "reef friendly" sunscreen yesterday.  I got Banana Boat at Walmart and it has a little blue label on the can that says "Reef friendly".  That is what you want.  Most of the brands that I looked at were "reef friendly".  Must be a new eco thing.  It was about $10 for 2 cans of spray.  Not sure why you can't fly with it - I pack it in my checked luggage.

Edit - Oops!  just saw that you are going to try to carry on your luggage.  I would buy it in Miami as everything on the ship has a big markup.

Edited by RNCindy
Add on correction

2 minutes ago, RNCindy said:

I bought some "reef friendly" sunscreen yesterday.  I got Banana Boat at Walmart and it has a little blue label on the can that says "Reef friendly".  That is what you want.  Most of the brands that I looked at were "reef friendly".  Must be a new eco thing.  It was about $10 for 2 cans of spray.  Not sure why you can't fly with it - I pack it in my checked luggage.

OP said they were doing carry-on only...no checked luggage.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mrskitkat said:

Hello, 

Thank you!

Amazon (at least) has some called "Reef Repair" that comes in 1.7 oz tubes.  Two pack for $16-$20 depending on SPF.  Those are small enough containers for carry-on I believe.  Some other brands in 3 oz tubes as well.

• Like 2

I once went through TSA security with a tube of sunscreen in my carry-on bag and they confiscated it. 

I told them my doctor required me to use sunscreen. They asked for a note or prescription and of course I didn't have one, so goodbye very expensive brand new tube of suncreen. 

But - maybe this is your loophole - get a note from your doctor and then pack the sunscreen in your carry-on bag. 

15 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

I once went through TSA security with a tube of sunscreen in my carry-on bag and they confiscated it. 

I told them my doctor required me to use sunscreen. They asked for a note or prescription and of course I didn't have one, so goodbye very expensive brand new tube of suncreen. 

But - maybe this is your loophole - get a note from your doctor and then pack the sunscreen in your carry-on bag. 

TSA has no restriction specific to sunscreen.  

They restrict the size of the container - no more than 100ml (3.4 oz).

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all-list

Scroll down to see sunscreen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

TSA has no restriction specific to sunscreen.  

They restrict the size of the container - no more than 100ml (3.4 oz).

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all-list

Scroll down to see sunscreen.

Right. It was a big 7+ ounce tube of sunscreen. They implied I could have brought it if I could document the doctor's instructions.

• Like 1

Be careful of the major brands listed as reef friendly on the front.  My google search (yup my friend google) indicates they still contain the non-reef friendly ingredients.  All of those “o” chemicals are NOT reef friendly 🤷‍♀️

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Make sure your sunscreen does not contain the following harmful substances on the "HEL list:
  • Oxybenzone.
  • Octinoxate.
  • Octocrylene.
  • Homosalate.
  • 4-methylbenzylidene camphor.
  • PABA.
  • Parabens.
  • Triclosan.
  • Like 2

In my experience you can never fully count on any specific item being stocked onboard.....things are oftne out of stock, etc (and that might get worse with current supply chain issues).

The post above suggesting to buy at the airport when you land is probably your best bet if flying in same day.  If you are flying  day early, check to see if a CVS, Wlagreens, etc is within walking distance of your hotel (it seems like in Florida that is nearly always teh case!).  Even with a checked bag I usully don't check saline or conditioner and just buy some at whatever drugstore is near my hotel before boarding.  

• Like 1

A travel tip: if you are flying in a day before and not renting a car, check out door dash or alike and purchase items for hotel delivery. Many major cities have the ability to hire a shopper to grab the stuff you want and deliver it directly to you. 

Zinc oxide is the best, in my opinion, for reef safe sunscreen. I have used Neutrogena Sheer Zinc with success but I just picked up Coppertone Pure & Simple I’m excited to try. It was a good deal about $9 for 6oz at my grocery store and went on smooth. The other brands can get pricy. 

When flying, one can purchase empty bottles in advance that are ok with the TSA and fill them with the liquid of their choice. I have been on snorkel excursions that said reef safe, which I have, but I don't know how they would be able to check what one had applied ahead of time.  There was never any mention of it during the excursion. Along the same lines, dolphin excursions have stated "no jewelry", but many had large earring, necklaces, etc., and it was never mentioned.

Good luck and Blessed cruise!