Increased Specialty Restaurant Prices

Falckon

We just got off the Dawn on Sunday. Practically every menu item at the specialty restaurants has been raised. Including a $25 Dining Package Supplement for the Lobster Thermidor, up from $10. Here are some of the menus.

1902230086_CruiseDawn2022(10).thumb.PNG.adb465a48385605acc16555bf6ccff31.PNG

624702369_CruiseDawn2022(11).thumb.PNG.ca6e7000b88435e1f87fbd9fc62da747.PNG

410888660_CruiseDawn2022(12).thumb.PNG.5e1d1c84292386e4b99d69ac70bd5e0e.PNG

I noticed the increase when I booked a cruise last week. I was on the Escape in December and remembered the prices being lower. Have the platinum & over meal vouchers been raised in tandem to cover the specialty dining price increases or do passengers just have to pay more out of pocket with the vouchers still at $35 maximum entrée pricing?

1 hour ago, Bonobochick said:

Have the platinum & over meal vouchers been raised in tandem to cover the specialty dining price increases or do passengers just have to pay more out of pocket with the vouchers still at $35 maximum entrée pricing?

The limit is still $35, but I had the filet which is now $45, and they did not charge me extra. My bill was $0.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just off Breakaway this morning.  Our Platinum vouchers had the ‘up to $35’ on the back, but were good for any entree we wanted. We would only pay the supplemental amount  if listed. The UDP meal was the same. 
Also, in 1 restaurant we were not charged for a cappuccino and in another we were. ($4.67). 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jkloni said:

Just off Breakaway this morning.  Our Platinum vouchers had the ‘up to $35’ on the back, but were good for any entree we wanted.

Same thing: off the Getaway this morning.  The staff didn't upcharge us if we pierced the $35 threshold.

That said, in my opinion, I don't think any of those entrees, if paying the retail price, would be worth it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jkloni said:

Just off Breakaway this morning.  Our Platinum vouchers had the ‘up to $35’ on the back, but were good for any entree we wanted. We would only pay the supplemental amount  if listed. The UDP meal was the same. 
Also, in 1 restaurant we were not charged for a cappuccino and in another we were. ($4.67). 

This was also my experience on the getaway last week. I was also able to get a side with my meal too

You have to have more money than brains to pay those prices ala carte on a cruise ship.  $10 for a slice of apple pie that you can get many other places on the ship for free?  Please.

I could possibly understand if it was great food, but it's Applebee's cuisine at best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

You have to have more money than brains to pay those prices ala carte on a cruise ship.  $10 for a slice of apple pie that you can get many other places on the ship for free?  Please.

I could possibly understand if it was great food, but it's Applebee's cuisine at best.

The thing is, the majority of people don’t pay the ala carte pricing.

11 hours ago, mnpurple said:

I know i can look for the answer to this, but does the specialty package include one app, one entree and one dessert?

theoretically, but in practice you can have more than one app and dessert, along with one entree. YMMV.

• Like 1

The goal of the higher à la carte pricing is to sell more dining packages - guests see the à la carte price and hopefully say to themselves, you know for what I would spend for the one meal I can do a 2 night package instead for only a small amount more.  The fact that the dining package pricing also went up with the menu price hikes, along with a decrease in # of included nights in Free@Sea are not coincidental.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The goal of the higher à la carte pricing is to sell more dining packages - guests see the à la carte price and hopefully say to themselves, you know for what I would spend for the one meal I can do a 2 night package instead for only a small amount more.  The fact that the dining package pricing also went up with the menu price hikes, along with a decrease in # of included nights in Free@Sea are not coincidental.

Bingo!  Just another revenue increasing measure by a financially crippled cruise line.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:22 AM, UKstages said:

theoretically, but in practice you can have more than one app and dessert, along with one entree. YMMV.

It’s actually the other way around. There is no restriction in the number of apps and desserts but apparently the staff sometimes incorrectly try to limit people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2022 at 2:52 AM, Old & Retired said:

Bingo!  Just another revenue increasing measure by a financially crippled cruise line.

It’s really to pay for the additional cost of the food. Have you bought a steak in your local grocery store lately?  

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 2:52 AM, Old & Retired said:

Where have you shopped or eaten recently where the prices have not increased in the past two years?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It’s really to pay for the additional cost of the food. Have you bought a steak in your local grocery store lately?  

tell me about it - 80/20 ground beef up to $5.99/lb at Kroger today from $3.49/lb a few months ago - a 58% increase in less than 6 months.  And that's just for everyday crummy ground beef!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, BirdTravels said:

Nope.  It is to increase revenue to pay for ALL of NCL's cost.  In addition to the billions of added debt during covid.