Oh dear, Iona disappointment, Again!

Welsh pride

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

This appears to be backed up by the numerous comments from passengers disembarking Iona and admit having a great time, quickly followed by 'too big for us'... 

Definitely horses for courses. 

Andy 

Only 3400 passengers currently on Iona.

Our 8 tonne canal boat handled the rough waters of the Shropshire Union canal with no problem. However,  my wife said the night time entertainment was boring, and lacked energy and inventiveness! 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Sounds like it was good for your 10,000 steps !  We've hardly ever got into Manhattan for the cabaret, usually too late for a seat after the 8.30 dinner.  My experience has been crowds going from there after a performance ends - they're usually heading to Brodies - and by the time we get to Manhattan there's one song left and after that the lights are switched on and the bar staff disappear!

Could that be because most of the passengers disappear leaving the waiters twiddling their thumbs if they didn't also head off to the venues that are just about to start their entertainment?

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Could that be because most of the passengers disappear leaving the waiters twiddling their thumbs if they didn't also head off to the venues that are just about to start their entertainment?

Exactly, but the point being P&O are deliberately making people scuttle about the ship creating the walking that was being mentioned as a reason to avoid bigger ships.  I sailed Allure of the Seas (at the time you couldn't get bigger) and venues maintained some form of entertainment at all times so there wasn't a need to scuttle off elsewhere if you didn't want to do a particular thing.  I've sat in the Golden Lion on all three Queens, again it never empties and the Queens Room always has something to entertain you even if it's recorded music to dance to.  I never get that feeling of not needing to move on Azura or Britannia.

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Exactly, but the point being P&O are deliberately making people scuttle about the ship creating the walking that was being mentioned as a reason to avoid bigger ships.  I sailed Allure of the Seas (at the time you couldn't get bigger) and venues maintained some form of entertainment at all times so there wasn't a need to scuttle off elsewhere if you didn't want to do a particular thing.  I've sat in the Golden Lion on all three Queens, again it never empties and the Queens Room always has something to entertain you even if it's recorded music to dance to.  I never get that feeling of not needing to move on Azura or Britannia.

IMO P&O try to spread the entertainment timing round the different venues in order to allow passengers who want to see more than one act to do just that. The same act generally stays in one venue but does 2 or 3 shows, I imagine it would be rather difficult to switch acts between venues because of the set up time needed for each one.

I think I prefer it the way P&O do it, rather than the low tech working man's club approach of having the acts follow each other on the same stage. And it helps you walk off some of the calories you have put on in the MDR.😇

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

IMO P&O try to spread the entertainment timing round the different venues in order to allow passengers who want to see more than one act to do just that. The same act generally stays in one venue but does 2 or 3 shows, I imagine it would be rather difficult to switch acts between venues because of the set up time needed for each one.

I think I prefer it the way P&O do it, rather than the low tech working man's club approach of having the acts follow each other on the same stage. And it helps you walk off some of the calories you have put on in the MDR.😇

All part of the fun. Deciding where you want to go, what you want to see, sitting in the same chair for hours on end has no appeal to us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Only 3400 passengers currently on Iona.

Could I ask graham how your boarding went last week ? How late passengers were still getting on and were you informed about your delay arriving at the terminal in plenty of time . It was such hard work for the crew to keep cleaning while everyone sat around with there cases with many as late as 5.30 disembarking I just wondered what time they started the embarkations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Each to his own.  Do they actually still have working mens clubs, not actually seen one for nearly 20 years although we do have a local sports and social club owned by Wiltshire County Cricket and the Conservative Association but apart from one weekend a year at the former the entertainment tends to be coffee mornings or lunches.

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

if you didn't want to do

Some may as I said like the option to not move.  My husband has chronic fibromyalgia and often after a day ashore is exhausted but wanting to enjoy at least part of the evening with some form of entertainment without further walking being involved because he physically cannot do anymore than sit down.   One of the reasons we like Britannia is because the atrium does keep waiters on duty at all times and the entertainment changes throughout an evening.  We also can book The Limelight Club and enjoy entertainment which is high quality and requires no effort of movement apart from getting there.

One of the reasons I often travel alone on cruises these days is precisely because of this.  My husband's mobility literally changes hourly it is hard to know what he is going to be able to do at any given time. Unfortunately we are in times where we now often miss prebooked excursions and events because it is a day when he is unable to actually get out of bed.

As I say different circumstances for everyone.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Could I ask graham how your boarding went last week ? How late passengers were still getting on and were you informed about your delay arriving at the terminal in plenty of time . It was such hard work for the crew to keep cleaning while everyone sat around with there cases with many as late as 5.30 disembarking I just wondered what time they started the embarkations

@Purdey16

We were informed 2 days beforehand of a 5 hour delay for embarkation time on e ticket.

We boarded about 6.15pm.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Each to his own.  Do they actually still have working mens clubs, not actually seen one for nearly 20 years although we do have a local sports and social club owned by Wiltshire County Cricket and the Conservative Association but apart from one weekend a year at the former the entertainment tends to be coffee mornings or lunches.

Plenty of working mens clubs still in Yorkshire, they haven't changed much since I wor a lad.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Plenty of working mens clubs still in Yorkshire, they haven't changed much since I wor a lad.

Fabulous. Unfortunately a dying breed down here in Wiltshire!   Officially 70% of working population here works for the council, Porton Down or the local hospital. I think they may have their own clubs but not CIU affiliated.  Nice to know the traditional clubs continue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Sounds more fun than the Wiltshire venue. I would prefer my afternoon tea at Bettys.

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Fabulous. Unfortunately a dying breed down here in Wiltshire!   Officially 70% of working population here works for the council, Porton Down or the local hospital. I think they may have their own clubs but not CIU affiliated.  Nice to know the traditional clubs continue.

Swindon has some.

Down here in south Wiltshire we have very poor links to the north of the county. Although less than 40 miles from Salisbury it takes around 1 hour 20 minutes to drive to Swindon and the roads are pretty appalling - my car's satnav insists I have to go via a farmyard and it's very interesting following the local bus through there.

We are more easily linked to Southampton, Bournemouth and Basingstoke, all a bit far for a pork pie and a pint, well that's what used to be offered in Grays in Essex where I grew up.

Edited by Megabear2

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sounds more fun than the Wiltshire venue. I would prefer my afternoon tea at Bettys.

Yes the Betty's afternoon tea would definitely outdo the local church hall on a Friday afternoon.  Unfortunately the novichok incident devastated our local economy along with the merger and closing of the financial services institutes which were the main employers in Salisbury. Virtually everyone employed  by them either moved away, took a job with the NHS/council or took on two or three jobs as taxis, deliveroo or delivery men for local supermarkets. And then came the pandemic ...

I'm not sure if we should be proud or not but even the Bingo Hall, bookmakers, Starbucks and Cash Converters have shut up shop!

• Like 1

One of my old school friends was on Iona a couple of weeks ago. From getting off the coach to embarkation was three hours. She really enjoyed the cruise but felt it was too big for her. We are on Iona next February, we just wanted to have the experience of the latest P &O ship. My favourite is Azura and we are on her in September. We were on Arcadia 3 years ago. The cruise to the Fjords was brilliant but I felt very claustrophobic on Arcadia. That’s just me, I struggle in packed enclosed spaces. I don’t mind the walking round the ship, as someone else said it’s good to walk off all the calories.

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Down here in south Wiltshire we have very poor links to the north of the county. Although less than 40 miles from Salisbury it takes around 1 hour 20 minutes to drive to Swindon and the roads are pretty appalling - my car's satnav insists I have to go via a farmyard and it's very interesting following the local bus through there.

We are more easily linked to Southampton, Bournemouth and Basingstoke, all a bit far for a pork pie and a pint, well that's what used to be offered in Grays in Essex where I grew up.

A few years ago we were on our way to the South West and decided to take the A303 route. Coming down towards Stonehenge the traffic was solid and I did a swift left and decided to cut down to the A30. Satnav said ' are you off your trolley?.' It kept saying ,turn right. After about 30mins Sally satnav went into a strop and didn't talk again until Chard and said ' Ok, we'll try your way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, zap99 said:

Just noticed that Olly Smith is on our October Iona cruise. Now that's one Guest Speaker we may go to see 

How did you find this out, out of interest? I'm on Iona from the 9th April and can't find anything about guest speakers or singers anywhere. The only info I've found is that Gareth Gates is on board, but that's only from his schedule on his website

20 minutes ago, Jambo13 said:

How did you find this out, out of interest? I'm on Iona from the 9th April and can't find anything about guest speakers or singers anywhere. The only info I've found is that Gareth Gates is on board, but that's only from his schedule on his website

I went online to check the price. A star appeared and there was his picture. It said ' Olly Smith is on board.i have heard that Gareth Gates went down well in the Limelight. We saw Chesney Hawkes instead. That saves £3 each. He was good as well.

Edited by zap99
Chesney Hawked???

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that part of the problem is that over the years P&O have reduced the number of bands and entertainers onboard in an effort to keep prices low. For example, there used to be two coctail pianists on Ventura, now there is just one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Denarius said:

I think that part of the problem is that over the years P&O have reduced the number of bands and entertainers onboard in an effort to keep prices low. For example, there used to be two coctail pianists on Ventura, now there is just one.

But was he twice as good. Quality in musicians may be better than quantity. Did they play at the same time?.🤣

On 3/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, zap99 said:

We are on Celebrity Silhouette in July. 7 nights to the Fjords. Deluxe balcony, Drinks, Tips, WiFi and a bit of OBC. £ 1,350 each. Price that up on Saga. Saga are expensive. If that's how folk want to spend their money, fine. But they are expensive.🤔

I’m on the same cruise, paying a similar price having booked a few months ago.  But, this cruise was originally much more expensive when the itineraries were first released.  So much so, I was considering Anthem of the Seas fjords cruise in August for quite a while!

As a previous poster mentioned, it’s often down to the timing of the booking with Celebrity especially; and that’s the line we sail with the most. In January for instance, we had week in the Caribbean on Apex for $2600 for both of us, Concierge class balcony, mid ship with drinks and $150 OBC but not gratuities - less than £2000; booked on board in January 2020.  We saw that price double before it came down again - but never as low as our deal.

I’ve previously had only 2 P&O cruises and found them to be good value and have others in the pipeline.  I’m another who could find many good things about every ship we’ve sailed on.  We have a cruise booked on Iona next year and I would be surprised if that were any different.  I’m looking forward to trying it.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:08 AM, Megabear2 said:

My current experience says it won't go far!  In light of the Italian excursions required situation I've been looking at them for my cruise in June.  We have $600 OBC between us and it just about covers two excursions each!  Then there's the premier drinks package at £150 each - it does cover the gratuity charges and gave us $300 of the OBC. There's a nice Ferrari driving experience in Nice, a mere £580 for 15 minutes. There, I've spent it for you, good job you are travelling alone!

In comparison 

Away from the cruiseline

You can book a 60 minute drive or passenger ride in a Ferrari 458 Italia for £301 in Nice!

with collection and drop off included