Oh dear, Iona disappointment, Again!

Welsh pride

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’m on the same cruise, paying a similar price having booked a few months ago.  But, this cruise was originally much more expensive when the itineraries were first released.  So much so, I was considering Anthem of the Seas fjords cruise in August for quite a while!

As a previous poster mentioned, it’s often down to the timing of the booking with Celebrity especially; and that’s the line we sail with the most. In January for instance, we had week in the Caribbean on Apex for $2600 for both of us, Concierge class balcony, mid ship with drinks and $150 OBC but not gratuities - less than £2000; booked on board in January 2020.  We saw that price double before it came down again - but never as low as our deal.

I’ve previously had only 2 P&O cruises and found them to be good value and have others in the pipeline.  I’m another who could find many good things about every ship we’ve sailed on.  We have a cruise booked on Iona next year and I would be surprised if that were any different.  I’m looking forward to trying it.

Gutted. Ours is actually 16th July, sorry. We are a bit careful as to when we press the book button and try to get a decent deal. We booked silhouette when we gave up on Alaska for 2022. We booked Iona some time ago and Anthem recently. There is an RC cruise from Barcelona next year that we fancy. We will wait til we or on Anthem in July to see if we can blag a deal on board. I suspect we may find Anthem a bit too big, but will give it a go. He haven't had a cruise yet that we didn't enjoy, but NCL Epic is now quite low on our repeat list..........but at the right price 🤔

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’m on the same cruise, paying a similar price having booked a few months ago.  But, this cruise was originally much more expensive when the itineraries were first released.  So much so, I was considering Anthem of the Seas fjords cruise in August for quite a while!

As a previous poster mentioned, it’s often down to the timing of the booking with Celebrity especially; and that’s the line we sail with the most. In January for instance, we had week in the Caribbean on Apex for $2600 for both of us, Concierge class balcony, mid ship with drinks and $150 OBC but not gratuities - less than £2000; booked on board in January 2020.  We saw that price double before it came down again - but never as low as our deal.

I’ve previously had only 2 P&O cruises and found them to be good value and have others in the pipeline.  I’m another who could find many good things about every ship we’ve sailed on.  We have a cruise booked on Iona next year and I would be surprised if that were any different.  I’m looking forward to trying it.

A few years ago we were at the London cruise show. We were chatting to a very nice Lady on the Celebrity stand. They had a deal. 12 nights Canaries , balcony, tips, drinks. £2200 for the two of us. Rude not to really.🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Gutted. Ours is actually 16th July, sorry. We are a bit careful as to when we press the book button and try to get a decent deal. We booked silhouette when we gave up on Alaska for 2022. We booked Iona some time ago and Anthem recently. There is an RC cruise from Barcelona next year that we fancy. We will wait til we or on Anthem in July to see if we can blag a deal on board. I suspect we may find Anthem a bit too big, but will give it a go. He haven't had a cruise yet that we didn't enjoy, but NCL Epic is now quite low on our repeat list..........but at the right price 🤔

Yes, we too are on Silhouette fjords 16th July.  Last year we cruised on Anthem for an incredible £1290 for the TWO of us, a week around the UK, again, balcony mid ship.  It was less than 50% full so was good - great entertainment IMHO - but the ship would have little appeal if full; too big for me but with lots to recommend it.  And because we have status with Celebrity, we even had access to the Diamond lounge.  That rates as one of my best bargains 😁.

See you onboard  - maybe …….. 😉

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, Jennizor said:

One of my old school friends was on Iona a couple of weeks ago. From getting off the coach to embarkation was three hours. She really enjoyed the cruise but felt it was too big for her. We are on Iona next February, we just wanted to have the experience of the latest P &O ship. My favourite is Azura and we are on her in September. We were on Arcadia 3 years ago. The cruise to the Fjords was brilliant but I felt very claustrophobic on Arcadia. That’s just me, I struggle in packed enclosed spaces. I don’t mind the walking round the ship, as someone else said it’s good to walk off all the calories.

910 steps to walk the circumference of deck 8 promenade deck.

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

But was he twice as good. Quality in musicians may be better than quantity. Did they play at the same time?.🤣

No (not twice as good) and yes (played at the same time). One used to be resident in the Red Bar, the other in Metropolis. There was always a pianist in the Red Bar so on his nights off the one from Metropolis played there instead and his place upstairs was taken by other entertainers. Like bands or duos which often played in the Exchange before that was given over to quizzes and other cheap audience participation "fun".

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Yes, we too are on Silhouette fjords 16th July.  Last year we cruised on Anthem for an incredible £1290 for the TWO of us, a week around the UK, again, balcony mid ship.  It was less than 50% full so was good - great entertainment IMHO - but the ship would have little appeal if full; too big for me but with lots to recommend it.  And because we have status with Celebrity, we even had access to the Diamond lounge.  That rates as one of my best bargains 😁.

See you onboard  - maybe …….. 😉

If you wear a mrsgoggins hat, I'll watch out for you.🤣

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

910 steps to walk the circumference of deck 8 promenade deck.

That’s good to know Graham, thank you. I love a promenade deck, there is something uplifting about it, particularly when at sea. I try to walk about 5000 steps a day at home but not if it’s raining or very cold (not expecting any of that on our Canaries cruise on  Iona next year).

52 minutes ago, kalos said:

This guy seems a bit gutted with his balcony :classic_unsure:

Wow, that's dreadful 😱. Why on earth do they not either fix it or put it out of use. It must affect other adjacent cabins too...😯

55 minutes ago, kalos said:

This guy seems a bit gutted with his balcony :classic_unsure:

Why on earth do they put anyone in a cabin that makes such a noise! They must know it’s going to upset whoever has the misfortune to be allocated it 🙄

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Wow, that's dreadful 😱. Why on earth do they not either fix it or put it out of use. It must affect other adjacent cabins too...😯

I remember when they added some single cabins next to the main bar on Ventura. Foolish me booked on. It was appallingly noisy when the ship was moving. Creaking and groaning from the walls and ceilings. They moved me next morning without argument. I later found out that when similar cabins were added to a Cunard ship they did not put them on sale until onboard residential contractors had traced and eliminated all the noise, not so P&O. I would not be surprised if years later those cabins had not been fixed.

• Like 1