Trans Atlantic Crossing

jjfarns

We are considering a repositioning cruise either later this year headed west or next spring headed east. Is there a better time to go? My better half is concerned that the seas will be rough and with five or six days at sea we would get bored. Any insight on weather/sea conditions and what activities are on board would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, jjfarns said:

We are considering a repositioning cruise either later this year headed west or next spring headed east. Is there a better time to go? My better half is concerned that the seas will be rough and with five or six days at sea we would get bored. Any insight on weather/sea conditions and what activities are on board would be greatly appreciated. 

We have done it in both directions and have had calm seas and rough days in both directions. Some folks like traveling west since you get to move the clock back and therefore they believe you get longer days.  

For me, either way still messes with my internal clock.  Heading east, I get tired if I get up at the same time each day or I sleep late and miss morning activities. Heading west, I get tired because I tend to wake up before I need/want to. I end up going to bed earlier. So while it’s so much better than jet lag, it’s still an issue #firstworldproblem

We love the sea days but of course YMMV. Do you need to be constantly entertained or can you be happy walking the promenade, reading a book, conversing with others, etc. If those activities with lectures, trivia, wine tastings, using the Nordic spa, etc will keep you occupied then you should be fine.  

We were introduced to Viking on a Transatlantic and frankly think it’s about the best value out there….especially if you are headed to/from Europe and don’t want to fly. For about the same as one way biz class you get two weeks of pretty luxe living. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jjfarns said:

Welcome to the Viking Board. For information on Trans-Atlantics, I suggest checking out the Board, which has numerous relevant threads.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2474-transatlantic-transpacific-repositioning-trans-ocean-cruises/

• Thanks 1

We took the Southern Atlantic Crossing, Barcelona to Buenos Aires Nov. 2019.  The seas were very calm almost all of the trip - a little choppy for half a day outside Rio.  We absolutely loved the trip and despite quite a few sea days we were never bored.  Viking had some fascinating speakers, I played bridge, swam and even enjoyed their screening of Evita just before landing in BA.  We now have a thirst for TA and are hoping to book another next year and yes we would even consider doing the Southern Atlantic Crossing all over again.

• Like 1

We were on the South Atlantic crossing from Barcelona to Buenos Aires Nov/Dec 2021.  We had a very smooth crossing, but a lot of consecutive sea days (9 of them).  We like sea days, so these were not a problem for us.  It was funny, we were busier on sea days than port days!

I would like to do it again and hit the ports we missed.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

We were on the South Atlantic crossing from Barcelona to Buenos Aires Nov/Dec 2021.  We had a very smooth crossing, but a lot of consecutive sea days (9 of them).  We like sea days, so these were not a problem for us.  It was funny, we were busier on sea days than port days!

I would like to do it again and hit the ports we missed.

Michelle - we do hope to do so in the future (2024?) as we cancelled the one about to begin.  We also enjoy sea days (on our recent TA from Barcelona to San Juan) - they have a totally different atmosphere for sure.  You wind up getting into a nice routine, as do many others on board.

Hope to see you again - this time on the Southern Crossing - in the future.

• Like 1

Just now, CCWineLover said:

Michelle - we do hope to do so in the future (2024?) as we cancelled the one about to begin.  We also enjoy sea days (on our recent TA from Barcelona to San Juan) - they have a totally different atmosphere for sure.  You wind up getting into a nice routine, as do many others on board.

Hope to see you again - this time on the Southern Crossing - in the future.

It’s been on our watch list for several years!  We’ve even had flights booked using award miles twice but have yet to book it. #someday

• Like 1

Thanks all for the insight. I personally am content with lazy days on a beautiful Viking ship. Lounging by the pool. Relaxing in the Nordic Spa. Sipping a cocktail in the Explores Lounge….the list goes on and on. 

• Like 2

I’ve done several Trans-Atlantic cruises on other cruise lines. I find November a good month to go. I like it getting warmer every day as we come across to Florida. And, I absolutely love sea days.

Southern crossings are much smoother than North Atlantic which usually get affected by hurricanes.

Can’t wait to come over on the Neptune in December.

• Like 1

I have  crossed twice in the Northern Atlantic region. Both times we had rough seas and one time the tail end of a hurricane. I won’t do it again in late August through September!  If you like rough seas and holding on to ropes to move about the ship (smaller ship than Viking), go for it! 

• Like 1