Brief observations from recent Carib Nav cruise

sita2

After 4 cruises on the Paul Gauguin, my husband and I decided to give the Navigator. (1/27 – 2/3) a try. There was a nice additional Society Savings, we were looking for some easy Scuba diving and made use of frequent flyer miles. The dining and service were very good, (though we did miss the superb pastries/bread from the PG – the Nav’s were very average), and the suites were larger – the walkin closet and the separate shower and bath were great. The demographics were definitely older than we’re used to (we’re 40-ish), and the ship seemed to be more of a miniaturized version of larger cruise vessels in terms of overstated décor, art auctions, lines at luncheon buffets…. very different from the private yacht feeling of the PG where we never had to wait in line at a buffet and the emphasis on the locale – but different strokes…… The 50% increase in passengers from the 320 PG to the 490 Nav confirmed for us our preference in smaller ships and I think we’ll consider Silversea for future non-Polynesian itineraries. I must comment that our cruise seemed packed with many difficult-to-please passengers -- so much griping about the insignificant or the unavoidable. I sometimes wonder how these people cope with real life…. And marvel at how the crew maintains their cheer in dealing with them.

Also, wanted to mention that we were on the “wrong side” of Deck 6 in Cabin 628 (last cabin avail) and only had a crew member go by twice that we noticed and both times while we were in port. I believe the ship had 475 passengers on board.

Sita, nice to hear your comments! If it is size that bothered you, maybe check out Silversea or Seabourn(no real balconies on that line). It is the pricing on Silversea that bothers me, although I love the line (having cruised them only once)

Unfortunately, you were assigned one of the worst suites on the Navigator, --- the even numbered suites on deck six with no balcony, and the window looks out on a deck used only by the crew. I find that the quality of my suite greatly effects my overall attitiude toward the cruise, and you had (IMO) one of the worst suites in Radisson's fleet. Had you been just across the hall in one of the balcony suites on deck six, I feel your report would have been more cheery. Also, your Navigator cruise was hampered by "cranky" fellow guests. We have cruised her twice, and have never experienced this (thank heavens!). Unfortunately, cruise lines don't make prospective guests pass "personality tests" upon booking. All I can say is that you encountered fellow guests far different from the usual, and I'm sorry that you did. The Nav. IS larger than the PG, and Radisson's Mariner and Voyager are larger than the Nav. We, too like the smaller ships. But, as we have spent five weeks on the PG, we know that the experience there will not be equalled by any ship large or small. With the PG, it is the itinerary and the onboard programs that make it great. As to the ship, the suites are too small, the balconies are too small, but when you are in Polynesia, who cares?

Of course, try a cruise on Silversea if you like smaller ships. Indeed, our next booked cruise is on Silversea. But please don't write Radisson off your list --- we are not doing so. The Mariner is an excellent all balcony ship with spacious public areas and great food and service. It is larger than the Nav., but trust me --- you'll never feel like it is.

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for your comments. I agree that French Polynesia is in a category of its own – already have a 5th cruise on the PG booked and can’t wait!

We do not feel the cabin was a big deal – we knew what we were signing up for and, as I indicated, did not find our privacy compromised. Look forward, Richard, to hearing your review after cruising Silversea… I don’t like to ever say never, but I doubt we’d ever consider the Mariner or the Voyager… might be short sighted of us, I admit. Very likely we do a RSSC Antarctica voyage someday though.

Oh, ice-hulling* reminds me that I wanted to speak to the listing/ vibration, etc. (*found out on the bridge tour that Nav has a steel hull capable of ice cutting); We had some severe weather the first couple of days…. Yes the ship lists in high winds…. Being on the 6th deck rather than some of the higher decks, I’m sure, reduced the effect for us, hardly more than a funny observation. Did not notice listing at other times – even while at higher decks (around pool, etc.) Vibration very noticeable at stern and, according to the bridge, not resolvable and has to do with the length of the propeller shafts as related to the hull (according to the First Officer)… also, I’ve read in previous posts that the ship lacks stabilizers…. This is not the case.

None of this was felt to hamper our cruise – even the weather was fun to experience.

My husband and I sailed to Bermuda on the Navigator in June. We have sailed on the Norwegian Dawn, and will be sailing on the Dawn again in March. Loved the service on the Navigator. The Dawn is a newer, larger ship so we didn't feel the sea as much. The food and service were great, but the entertainment was better on the Dawn.

Radison was much more expensive, but I would not count it out for future cruises. icon7.gif

For what it's worth, we have sailed on Mariner (twice, and our favorite) and Voyager; Navigator was the ONLY one of the three where we ever had to stand in line for a buffet meal. The two bigger ships have two of everything, and two entrances into La Verandah, so that people are able to move through MUCH more smoothly. I was taken by surprise at the lines because I hadn't ever seen them before. Navigator was very nice, but I prefer the slightly larger versions.

I find this review interesting considering I was just down and across the hall in 617 on the same cruise. I agree with your assessments of the food and desserts and the vibration and listing. I also agree with the assessment of the art auctions and luncheon buffets, but I found the decor to be elegant and understated, though a bit worn in places. We were probably on the bridge listening to Christian at the same time too.

I did hear a bit of griping mostly about the seas the first two days, which is understandable because I believe most people those first two days were not feeling up to par because of the rough seas, but nothing like you're describing. Also consider when one isn't feeling well, it is harder to cope with even the most insignificant things.

Also I found a good mix of ages on the cruise and was surprised to see the younger demographics after expecting an older crowd. We sat with two couples most nights; 1 who was in their 30's and the other in their early 40's. I am in my early 50's. My guess would be that the average age on the cruise was around my age.I

I also recall one couple and two single women we met several times who could not find anything they liked, but you'll find that anywhere. Most of those I met were friendly, and enjoyed the tours. As stated previously we mostly ate with friends but two nights we sat with new people at dinner and found them lowkey and quite delightful.

While we haven't been on the Navigator for a couple of years, we do read reports about her. From these, it just may be the case that Radisson has let her cruise too long between dry docks (or wet docks) for the purpose of refurbishing carpet, upholstery, bedding, and the like. As a result, it is a fiar conclusion from all of the posts on this subject that the Navigator is presently sailing with the condition of such items somewhat below Radisson's customary standards. She will, however, be giong into dry dock soon for correction of this problem. Hopefully, Radisson will learn from this and not let these items go for so long in the future before replacement.

As far as interior decor of public areas is concerned, it is done in "modern art deco" of the '20' and '30s, which architects and designers of that period actually called "international style" (Think of South Beach, Miami.) From here, it becomes a matter of personal taste, but it is well done, whether one likes that particular style or not.

Thanks,

Richard

While we were onboard (Jan 7-17), they completely replaced the carpet in Compass Rose. Guiseppe told us that they decided it simply couldn't make it to drydock so they spent a fortune on solvent that had absolutely no odor, and did it in sections at night.

We just came back from the navigator Feb.14th till the 21st.May i add 1st timers.The bread on our cruise was excellent as was all the foods..To be on a cruise where you were the only one in the buffet line is scary,were you the only one on the cruise?And to say you saw 2 workers pass your cabin your cruise is a shame.We had Stateroom 949 and every time we came out of our cabin or into the cabin we saw our girl Sisi.Any questions about the ship i would be happy to respond.

I was on the same cruise as you, and Ivopera - see his note. I have no complaints whatsoever, had a great time. See the other "review" from Ivopera.

Did you get a reservation for Portofino, to your satisfaction? I know you were concerned about that. Hope you managed to ge tthe night you wanted, and that you really enjoyed it (I always do).

Do you recall seeing Ivopera and his wife and beautiful little girl Natacha (see the other thread)??

Glad you had fun!

Charlene

This is crazy that people complain about carpet and bread,vibrations etc. Why don,t you read some of these posts before you travel and i bet you would never go away.

Nothing "crazy" about that. Just people making observations. Take from them what you want and if there is nothing for you, just ignore them.

This is crazy that people complain about carpet and bread,vibrations etc. Why don,t you read some of these posts before you travel and i bet you would never go away.
actually no it's not. this is considered a 6 star cruise line. People who prefer better quality should get it if they're paying for it (which they are). If I am in a cabin where everything is worn and stained, that will impact my experience. With food, if the bread, desserts or anything else, isn't very good, that too will impact the experience, especially since I'll be eating 2-3 meals a day on the ship. Each of us has different expectation of what is important to us. For some it's the food, others feeling they're in a six star floating resort, others the entertainment or ports.

For some reason criticisms on Cruise Critic are criticized. Many of us (including the majority - who are lurkers) want all the information, good and bad. I think Radisson is a very good cruise line, but struggle with the concept that it is "6 Star" (which, alas, is a marketing ploy started somewhere in time to be better than 4 star, which became 5 star, which is now 6 star...as opposed to Gold cards, which became Platinum, which became Titanium, which became...)

Comparing bedding, breadsticks, stewardesses, TVs, what is included in the "all" or "partial" inclusives, etc. is all part of a discussion of what makes the line similar or different from another line. Heck, even the pricing makes a difference.

Because A says it is similar to Seabourn or Silversea doesn't make it so, nor does B stating that they are different. It is, alas, the facts, the consistency (or inconsistency), the amount of agreement or disagreement, etc. that gives people information to make their own decisions...and not be attacked for expressing them.

As of late I have decided not to post anything which is "informational" because that information gets lost in the challenges and attacks. Hopefully this board will return to a place where an observation of worn carpeting or wonderful breadsticks is met with appreciation for the input and contribution to this little community.

Honestly, Iamboatman, that post of yours makes no sense to me, whether I am a lurker or a previous cruiser, which I am. I certainly respect your right to post here. I met your previous challenges about pricing with facts. They stand today where ever that thread is.

I think a thread stopped dead as someone posted that were in "error" about Radisson pricing - we should celebrate posters who admit to "wrong information" - I want information too - but only from reliable sources - No credibilty???? No credibilty -

Notr trying to hijack this thread, I had posted a number of examples of the huge price increases and comparisons, but the posts were pulled. After attempting three times I gave up. I then traveled on a business trip and felt that raising the issue again would be counterproductive.

If I gave bad info (and I do not think I did, but my posts are gone so you wouldn't know that), I would most certainly be the first to admit it. There is no dishonor in admitting a mistake.

Cruising should be a fun topic; not a crusade. The problems/tenor with the Radisson board of a couple of years ago has returned and it is clear that productive posting is just not possible if you have a contrary opinion.

So be it.

From my experience on this board, all views are and always have been appreciated, both good and bad. This is a fabulous source to compare notes, obtain information, plan journeys, share experiences, and meet people on your next cruise.

The posts that are often met with scorn or ridicule here are complaints that appear on their face to have no merit; posters who provide innaccurate information; and those who seem to have an agenda. I have seen examples of all three on this board.

Regarding the first, certainly if someone has a negative experience or legitimate complaint, we all benefit by hearing about it. No cruise, or cruise line, is perfect, mistakes are made, trends can slide downhill before they are discovered and efforts made to improve. I know that Radisson reads this board, and other similar boards, and has taken action relative to what they've read. We all also benefit by hearing what, if anything, was done about encountered problems.

The complaints that elicit scorn and ridicule are those that seem unreasonable, unfair, or simply a twisting of the facts. For example, if someone comes on here and rants that their favorite drink wasn't waiting for them every time they bellied up to the bar, well that seems a leeetle bit unreasonable to expect it. Certainly it does happen occasionally, and it's great when it does, but if someone complained that it didn't happen every single time, well that comes across rather prima donna-ish, and would probably be met with a lot of laughs and snide comments. If someone comes on here and rants that the cabin walls were too thin and the darn room attendant wouldn't do anything about it, well, some folks on here are probably going to ask, what'd you expect her to do? Re-insulate them? If someone complains that about the weather, or that the seagulls pooped on their balcony railing, and so their cruise was ruined, well you can imagine the reception these kinds of complaints are going to get. These are all just silly examples, but I think you catch my drift.

On the other hand, if someone posts that they paid for an excursion that was supposed to visit X, Y & Z, but instead only went to X and then left them in an unairconditioned bus on the side of the road, you can bet that we're all going to extend lots of compassion and empathy to the poster, and want to know more about it. Naturally we're going to hope that the cruiseline makes appropriate amends, but if they don't, we'll surely all grouse, and then vow never to book that excursion. If someone had a room attendant that only cleaned their room every other day, or a waiter who dumped a plate of foie gras in someone's lap and then snottily tossed a rag at them and said "clean it up", well you can be darn sure we're all going to want to know the names of those staff members, and encourage the poor beleaguered passenger to write to Radisson and inform them that they have an incompetent employee. And if the problems encountered are bad enough (and, of course, are believable and, even better, confirmed by others), we'd all probably hold off on booking more Radisson cruises until we heard that the issues were resolved. We're all experienced travelers on here who've worked hard to get to the point where we can take these wonderful cruises, and surely none of us want to toss our vacation dollars away on a company that doesn't give us what we paid for.

Regarding providing inaccurate information, many of us consider this board to be such a valuable resource to all cruisers, new and old, that we jump quickly on falacious and inaccurate statements, in order to maintain the integrity here. If inaccurate postings are allowed to remain unchallanged, how can anyone find anything of value in here, when none of it can be trusted? The good news is that there are enough experienced, knowledgeable Radisson cruisers here that inaccuracies are usually noticed pretty quickly, and dealt with. I really appreciate that, as it makes me feel much more secure about the information that I find on here.

As for folks with an agenda, one must look at posting patterns. If there's a poster who regularly comes on here to post maligning and disparaging posts, repeatedly, telling the same tired stories over and over and debating sarcastically and offensively with anyone who might disagree with them, then that person is probably going to be met with scorn and ridicule virtually every time he or she posts. It starts to look like a campaign, or even an obsession. At the very least, one must question that person's motive.

I think we've all seen some of these situations. I agree that it's up to each reader to decide if posts are worthy of reading. And when one person keeps saying the same negative things over and over, most of us decide they are not worthy.

And finally, as for removed posts, it's probably a good idea for all of us who post here to review the Guidelines and FAQ's occasionally, to be sure we don't cross the line. Posts are always removed for a reason, and I have faith in our wonderful volunteer moderators who are so dedicated to maintaining the integrity of this board.

From my experience, the vast majority of people who frequent this board are wonderful, caring people who share a passion for cruising, love to talk about it, plan it, tell our stories both good and bad, learn things, share what we've learned with others, and generally enjoy a community of people with similar interests and passions. And I for one hope it remains this way! :) :) :)

LeeAnne

LeeAnne,

Well written and excellent reply. I could not agree with you more. Have a wonderful time on your Windstar cruise....you must be in the midst of packing?

I will post a review of my Mariner March 13th mother/daughter cruise upon return. Looking forward to the Mariner (1st time) as some say this is their favorite ship in RSSC's fleet.

Cheers, Pam

Pam,

Yes, I'm scrambling like CRAZY to get ready! We leave in a couple of days. I'm very eager to hear your report from your Mariner cruise. We get home the day you embark. I'm also really looking forward to my own mother/daughter Mariner cruise in November.

But I had to take the time out of my cruise preparations to defend our wonderful board here. :) Thanks for the kind comments!

Costa Rica, here I come!

LeeAnne

Unfortunatel,one finds across various boards that there are people who regard either a negative comment,or criticism,irrespective of it's validity,re their favourite Cruise Line as a personal attack,and respond in a personally insulting manner.

Radisson's 2007 prices are much higher,if only for the fact that the initial discounts accompanying the release are lower than in previous years.

For example,an entry level price of $8997 for a 14 night Norway cruise is by any criterion expensive.

I have read about a bad vibration in the Navigator and don't have my records with me just now, but believe I am in cabin 945 for the monaco to copenhagen trip 6/3/06. Did you experience any problems?

Archived