Netflix in stateroom

southernbreezes

Some people around here have had luck streaming on their TV, but it involves a Roku or maybe a Chrome stick and some electronic gymnastics.  You can search around on that subject, or maybe somebody will post a link to past discussions. There's a guy named Jim that is electronically savvy and has had good luck and posted about it.   Either way, the internet can be fussy on the transatlantic cruises out in the middle of the ocean on those long sea days, so not sure that would even work well.  

Do you have an iPad or some other tablet?  Netflix, Prime, Hulu, & HBOMax all let you download movies and TV shows on their apps, so that might be a good option.  My husband and I do that and often just put the iPad between us to watch movies when we're traveling if the ship/hotel TV doesn't allow me to change the input and run an HDMI cable between it and my device.  The streaming companies won't let you download their content to a laptop, it will have to be a device with an app.  Be aware that the downloads 'expire' so don't do it until you're ready to leave for your cruise.  

It would be lovely if we could just pair our phones/tablets to the TV via bluetooth, but I maybe that would open up a whole host of problems for the ships and they don't want us to have that much control over our in-room TVs?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know my reply is a bit late, but as far as I know, most cruise ships, including Celebrity, usually have smart TVs in staterooms, so streaming Netflix should be a breeze. However, it's a good idea to bring your iPad just in case. With the Netflix app, you can dive into some great content, and if all goes well, definitely check out the series featuring Prince Harry. Rumor has it that this collaboration boosted prince harry net worth! Plus, the series tackles some socially significant topics – definitely worth a watch!

Edited by ChloeWilkins

2 hours ago, ChloeWilkins said:

I know my reply is a bit late, but as far as I know, most cruise ships, including Celebrity, usually have smart TVs in staterooms, so streaming Netflix should be a breeze. However, it's a good idea to bring your iPad just in case. With the Netflix app, you can dive into some great content, and if all goes well, definitely check out the series featuring Prince Harry. Rumor has it that this collaboration boosted prince harry net worth! Plus, the series tackles some socially significant topics – definitely worth a watch!

Only the new ships and in some cabins on revolutionized ships will you find smart tv's, not all Celebrity ships.  In fact on a Sky Suite on Constellation, our TV did not even have the usual movies, access to your account, etc..  And whether streaming will be a breeze definitely depends on the internet on that cruise, which can vary greatly by sailing location as well as cabin location.  Granted, with their updated internet it is usually much better than previously, but you definitely cannot always stream successfully.