Just been downgraded from booked and allocated cabin!!!

Fozzie100

9 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

First off I admit to reading the whole of this thread.

In my case our cruise on Azura out of Malta at the end of May has been affected by a cabin change. What makes this worse is I like a lot of others chose to pay the select fare so I could pick the cabin as we are going with our son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren on a linked booking and chose a cabin close by. Our cabin has been moved but they refuse to say where at the moment and I suspect I will find out the day before we fly out which will be too late to contact P&O.

I fully understand the need although I do think it could have been planned and handled better but what sticks in my throat is that P&O flatly refuse any compensation or extra OBS even though like many have said I have paid for something I'm not getting. @molecrochip I noted you said P&O will offer extra OBS, well sorry but they don't.

This is the final straw for me with P&O and is the very reason I didn't even look at the 2024 launch offers and I will be cancelling by two cruises on Ariva at a loss of £50  per cruise.

We will now cruise Celebrity who have slightly better customer service and have the courtesy to pick up the phone and call if there is an issue and give very generous compensation.   

I would feel the same -  select price and no compensation and they can’t even tell you where you will be located . Dreadful.

• Like 4

From what I can tell, if you're offered an "upgrade" there is no choice/compensation/refund but some people who have been downgraded seem to have been offered any combination of those three options.  What is the difference exactly?  You've paid for something which has not been provided so you should be given the option of having your money back.

This can't be legal - it certainly isn't ethical - but P&O are using the bully boy tactics of a large company and they won't even respond to polite questions.  It stinks.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

I would feel the same -  select price and no compensation and they can’t even tell you where you will be located . Dreadful.

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

In my case our cruise on Azura out of Malta at the end of May has been affected by a cabin change. What makes this worse is I like a lot of others chose to pay the select fare so I could pick the cabin as we are going with our son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren on a linked booking and chose a cabin close by. Our cabin has been moved but they refuse to say where at the moment and I suspect I will find out the day before we fly out which will be too late to contact P&O.

I fully understand the need although I do think it could have been planned and handled better but what sticks in my throat is that P&O flatly refuse any compensation or extra OBS even though like many have said I have paid for something I'm not getting. @molecrochip I noted you said P&O will offer extra OBS, well sorry but they don't.

This is the final straw for me with P&O and is the very reason I didn't even look at the 2024 launch offers and I will be cancelling by two cruises on Ariva at a loss of £50  per cruise.

We will now cruise Celebrity who have slightly better customer service and have the courtesy to pick up the phone and call if there is an issue and give very generous compensation.   

Out of principle take them to small claims court for the difference in fares between  guarantee and select. Then ask for further compensation if cabin you end up with is not like you choose. Big companies often can't be bothered to attend small claims court given cost of lawyers etc., (this is experience  hear about from airline blogs) , so they automatically loose. You pay a fixed sum which is less than £100 which you get back when you win. It is designed so ordinary people don't need legal representation. 

Of course if they give you a suite.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

We got caught up in the hype of the new releases on our recent cruise and booked two future cruises. I am so disappointed in the response to the cabin moves that I am seriously considering forgoing the low deposit and cancelling.

Seems my TA has some clout, just heard back and P&O have agreed to move both cabins so we are close to one another.

The downside is P&O outright refuse any sort of compensation but they have offered that we can go on an alternative cruise which is not an option as it has to suit the grandchildren's school holidays. So I can say with certainty my two cruises on Arvia will be cancelled and I'm saying goodbye (and good riddance) to P&O Cruises.

34 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Out of principle take them to small claims court for the difference in fares between  guarantee and select. Then ask for further compensation if cabin you end up with is not like you choose. Big companies often can't be bothered to attend small claims court given cost of lawyers etc., (this is experience  hear about from airline blogs) , so they automatically loose. You pay a fixed sum which is less than £100 which you get back when you win. It is designed so ordinary people don't need legal representation. 

That's an approach I hadn't thought of.  The total cost of my cruise was well over £16k which is too much for the small claims court to deal with unfortunately.  The difference in fares is around £6k which would be covered...  Thanks!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Great idea!