Any reason to upgrade drink package before cruise?

NCterri

1 hour ago, NCterri said:

Is there any reason to upgrade drink package before cruise?  We are not Elite.  

I would suggest to check if your preferred drinks are included in the Classic Package.  If not, you can wait to board and you will be asked to upgrade.  Often, you can get a discount from one of the sales individuals that will approach you..  

Remember to consider that you only pay the difference in price between the classic maximum  allowable  and  the premium drink price  plus  a 20% tip. 

Edited by keesar
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have always upgraded to premium before cruise until last Dec.  Saw a post here about crew member selling package gets credit for the sale.  On Dec cruise, got unboard and asked server about credit and he said yes.  So upgraded with him.  Plan to upgrade on board next month rather than save ~$14.

• Like 2

I upgraded on board Constellation and had to ask for the Elite+ discount = 10%.  On a cruise this coming July, I called Celebrity to upgrade, and the discount was the same.   

If you upgrade on board, ask for the Elite+ discount, or you won't get it.

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

I upgraded on board Constellation and had to ask for the Elite+ discount = 10%.  On a cruise this coming July, I called Celebrity to upgrade, and the discount was the same.   

If you upgrade on board, ask for the Elite+ discount, or you won't get it.

Celebrity’s website says the discount isn’t available onboard, so that’s nice you were able to get it.

On 3/6/2022 at 5:21 PM, NCterri said:

Is there any reason to upgrade drink package before cruise?  We are not Elite.  

You might get charged  state sales tax if you do it after you board and while still in port.    It’s not exactly the same thing as buying an upgrade, but that happened to me on a wine package purchase.

Edited by Mark_K

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

You might get charged  state sales tax if you do it after you board and while still in port.    It’s not exactly the same thing as buying an upgrade, but that happened to me on a wine package purchase.

I was thinking the same thing because when we’ve bought individual drinks when in port if we haven’t had the beverage package we’ve had to pay sales tax. 

46 minutes ago, T^2 said:

I saw no indication of sales tax on drink package upgrade in Dec from FLL.  We did upgrade shortly after boarding.

Florida charges sales tax on any purchases made within 3 miles of shore.  Sometimes they will wait to process the charge. . .

47 minutes ago, T^2 said:

I saw no indication of sales tax on drink package upgrade in Dec from FLL.  We did upgrade shortly after boarding.

I've never heard of getting the 10 percent Elite discount onboard. When I called Celebrity the answer was no have to do it pre cruise. 

Has anyone successfully been able to upgrade on the website under your reservation? We have the always included classic package, but when I try to add the premium drinks, it is charging me the full price. It actually lets me also add and pay full price for the classic package, which we already have...

Not sure if that's always how it is and you have to call, or there is something wrong with my reservation. I double checked my invoice to make sure always included is on there, and it is...

10 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Has anyone successfully been able to upgrade on the website under your reservation? We have the always included classic package, but when I try to add the premium drinks, it is charging me the full price. It actually lets me also add and pay full price for the classic package, which we already have...

Not sure if that's always how it is and you have to call, or there is something wrong with my reservation. I double checked my invoice to make sure always included is on there, and it is...

My cruise planner won't let me upgrade the classic package and get the 10% Elite+ discount.  It will let me upgrade and charge me $12 a day.  You have to call to get the discount, which comes out to $10.80 a day.

If you check your reservation on line you may see offers.  I got 10% discount for upgrading prior to boarding so I went for it.  9 nights only $81. for the upgrade.  If you are Elite, Elite+, and I believe Select you also receive a discount so check your options.

1 hour ago, PatC said:

If you check your reservation on line you may see offers.  I got 10% discount for upgrading prior to boarding so I went for it.  9 nights only $81. for the upgrade.  If you are Elite, Elite+, and I believe Select you also receive a discount so check your options.

Plus gratuity. I paid $97.20 for my 9 night. Actually, the CS agent also extended the 10% discount to my cabin-mate. It’ll be her first Celebrity cruise.  $194.40 for the both of us. 

I would wait until day 2 after checking out the classic offerings at your preferred bar. If you then feel you need to upgrade you can with your favourite bartender who will get his commission, you save $12 and you will be remembered for sure.

18 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Not sure when you booked, but if you wait until closer to your sailing, it should just show the upgrade price.  One of X’s many website glitches is first showing a full upgrade price for  beverage packages, but it eventually shows the upgrade.

If you are eligible for a Captain’s Club discount, you or your TA need to call and purchase the upgrade before the cruise to apply the discount.