Has CVS just changed its free Covid testing policy?

DaveOKC

In planning for my late March cruise I have been checking out Covid testing options.  Last Dec we did CVS.  However, on their website recently we have only been able to book one day prior.  Also, I noticed that the questions they ask you do not include anything about testing for travel.  When I answered the questions honestly, it tells me that I do not qualify for free Covid testing!  

Has anyone else experienced this in the past 1-2 weeks?

We are cruising 4/3 and I, too, have been checking our CVS site, where we were tested three times for cruises last fall.  We're still 13 days ahead for reservations.  I answer yes to question one and no to all other questions; it's turned out okay for me since they've changed the wording.  I think keep trying, but be ready with an alternate way to test, perhaps.

I think you need to make a claim with your insurance company.  I would call the insurer and ask them, of course I submit everything to the insurance company like throwing spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

In planning for my late March cruise I have been checking out Covid testing options.  Last Dec we did CVS.  However, on their website recently we have only been able to book one day prior.  Also, I noticed that the questions they ask you do not include anything about testing for travel.  When I answered the questions honestly, it tells me that I do not qualify for free Covid testing!  

Has anyone else experienced this in the past 1-2 weeks?

Same here, I think the quote was $139 pp that @aa7yy posted.  We're doing Walgreens. 🙄

I just had a covid test done yesterday thru Rite Aid (San Diego).   I checked the box "I have been exposed to someone with covid".....heck, I went to the grocery store 🙂.   I wanted to have a PCR test done 3 weeks prior to our cruise just in case I had gotten covid and didn't know it.  I didn't want to be surprised come cruise time because PCR tests can pick up covid for up to 3 months.   If my test came back positive, I was going to call my doctor so I could get a note stating I had recovered from covid before our cruise in early April.    

My test came back today (negative).    I was NOT charged for the test.    Also, my insurance company reimbursed me for the Abbot Antigen tests I purchased.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I just had a covid test done yesterday thru Rite Aid (San Diego).   I checked the box "I have been exposed to someone with covid".....heck, I went to the grocery store 🙂.   I wanted to have a PCR test done 3 weeks prior to our cruise just in case I had gotten covid and didn't know it.  I didn't want to be surprised come cruise time because PCR tests can pick up covid for up to 3 months.   If my test came back positive, I was going to call my doctor so I could get a note stating I had recovered from covid before our cruise in early April.    

My test came back today (negative).    I was NOT charged for the test.    Also, my insurance company reimbursed me for the Abbot Antigen tests I purchased.   

That is a good system you have worked out.  I ordered the free at home tests and plan to do them soon for the same reasons.  Good to know you were reimbursed for the antigen tests, was that the proctored test?

23 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is a good system you have worked out.  I ordered the free at home tests and plan to do them soon for the same reasons.  Good to know you were reimbursed for the antigen tests, was that the proctored test?

yes, it was for the proctored test.   I ordered 6 sets back in Sept and another 6 in January.   I sent in both receipts not expecting any reimbursement but thought it was worth a try.   Got reimbursed for both which was over $320.   I was please to see 2 checks in the mail.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

We're still able to book (free) CVS appointments 2 weeks out with plenty of appointment availability here in San Diego. Both my wife and I have Medicare primary, and CVS bills Medicare.

Hi,

We are doing a river cruise that requires a PCR (not antigen) test. Can you get a rapid PCR through all CVS locations? I didn't want to enter personal data before I knew the options. 

Edited by Cruizer Diana
spelling

19 minutes ago, Cruizer Diana said:

Hi,

We are doing a river cruise that requires a PCR (not antigen) test. Can you get a rapid PCR through all CVS locations? I didn't want to enter personal data before I knew the options. 

PRC results take 2-3 days for results at CVS and Walgreens. ID Now results within 24 hrs. Rapid Antigen results in one hour or less.

2 hours ago, Cruizer Diana said:

Hi,

CVS does both Rapid (antigen) and PCR testing (at least the ones here in San Diego do). As PROCRUISE mentioned, PCR test results take longer (2-3 days), whereas rapid test results are usually available in 1-2 hours.

Which ones does HAL accept? I am so confused. We've come through the last two years with only 1 of the 4 of us even needing to get a test done.

I went on the CVS last night as we have a 4/3 cruise and it did not look free but Walgreens did. But when I put in for the PCR there was nothing available unless I went 3 states over.

50 minutes ago, kentuckycruiser said:

Which ones does HAL accept? I am so confused. We've come through the last two years with only 1 of the 4 of us even needing to get a test done.

I went on the CVS last night as we have a 4/3 cruise and it did not look free but Walgreens did. But when I put in for the PCR there was nothing available unless I went 3 states over.

We did the Rapid Antigen last time at CVS and it was accepted by HAL.

You might also want to check with your local Urgent Care places - we are doing this in two weeks.  We can book a month out, get results in 15 minutes and they said it is free.  I will report back my findings.  However, read the fine print as some of them are charging up to $200 for this test (here locally) if insurance rejects.  The one we are going to charges $75 if insurance rejects.

• Like 2

I did Rapid Antigen test at CVS on Sunday.  Booked two weeks out.  No idea if they will charge my insurance company or not but I did not pay anything.  Results came in about 70 minutes this time, vs 10 minutes the last time.

4 hours ago, kentuckycruiser said:

Currently HAL accepts either test, so it makes to get the rapid test for quicker results, if you can get it.

16 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Not sure.. since this is a HAL Board, perhaps you should pose your question on RCI?

Sorry didn’t notice that just saw the question…thank you

Our CVS is So Cal is still doing the tests for free.  You must answer yes to the first question, which is something like, "Do you need this test because you will be someplace that you cannot socially distance?"  So, even though it no longer asks about travel, answering yes to that question is not a lie.  If you are flying, or even plan to attend a show onboard, you cannot properly socially distance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1