BUYER BEWARE ! READ YOUR PAPERWORK VERY CAREFULLY!

HulkSmash181

On April 15, 2021, during the decline of the first Covid surge, we decided to book a “Empires of the Mediterranean” cruise departing May 4, 2022 (a full year later), thinking Covid would be history by then. Of course, we had to pay in full by June, a full year before departure. We decided to include insurance for the trip due to the large gap between paying and departing. We were told if we cancelled for any reason, we would “not lose a penny”, except for the non-refundable cost of the insurance ($1600). On Jan. 7, 2022, we decided the Covid risk was too great to ignore. Viking required masks at all times on board and during Viking sponsored excursions. Plus, the trip involved 5 different countries, each with their own Covid rules. Viking stated they reserved the right to change the itinerary at any time due to local Covid mandates, meaning the itinerary for the entire trip could be totally different than what we paid for! Didn’t sound like fun to us, so we called to cancel. We were informed of their “cancellation penalty” schedule, and gee, Viking was very sorry, but we were within 120 days (4 months!) of departure, so it would cost us 20% of the total cost to cancel! ($3400 !!) If we had called 4 days sooner, it would only have been $100 per person! Additionally, Viking informed us we had to go to the third party insurer, the totally bogus “Trip Mate” to claim the rest of the cost. After 4 hours of struggling with their website, “travelclaims.com” with no success, we finally got a phone number from Viking to call them direct. They told us that Covid was not on their “official list of approved” reasons for a cash refund, and they offered a voucher instead! This was a last blow-out trip for us, we have no plans for any future cruises, so a voucher for us is worthless. So, we ended up losing $5,000 total ($1600 on the insurance and $3400 for the 20% “fee”) on a trip where we never got out of our front door. A four (!) day delay in when we called to cancel cost us $3200!! Yes, the penalty schedule is printed on the paperwork, but being told we wouldn’t lose a penny was deceiving, at best. We were also not made aware the insurance was administered by a third party. Needless to say, we are done with Viking, and I would tell anyone who asks me about them to book any other cruise line. We feel robbed and cheated. 

We have taken the Viking Trip Mate insurance and were well aware that if we wanted a CASH refund we would need to cancel before the refund schedule kicked in OR for one of the clearly stated reasons on the policy.  We also knew that if we wished to use the - Cancel for Any Reason up to 24 hours before sailing clause underwritten by Viking - that the monies we paid would not be lost because we would have a voucher to use toward another cruise.  I thought it was a very clearly stated and fair policy.  

• Like 10

We canceled a trip recently for personal reasons, not COVID, but made sure to do it before the 120 days. That way it only costs us $100 each and we got our full refund of travel insurance, which BTW was Allianz. 
Viking is very clear on their rules. We just kept the rules with each booking that they applied to due to when we booked them. 
Sorry you lost so much money. This can be a very confusing time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HulkSmash181 said:

On April 15, 2021, during the decline of the first Covid surge, we decided to book a “Empires of the Mediterranean” cruise departing May 4, 2022 (a full year later), thinking Covid would be history by then. Of course, we had to pay in full by June, a full year before departure. We decided to include insurance for the trip due to the large gap between paying and departing. We were told if we cancelled for any reason, we would “not lose a penny”, except for the non-refundable cost of the insurance ($1600). On Jan. 7, 2022, we decided the Covid risk was too great to ignore. Viking required masks at all times on board and during Viking sponsored excursions. Plus, the trip involved 5 different countries, each with their own Covid rules. Viking stated they reserved the right to change the itinerary at any time due to local Covid mandates, meaning the itinerary for the entire trip could be totally different than what we paid for! Didn’t sound like fun to us, so we called to cancel. We were informed of their “cancellation penalty” schedule, and gee, Viking was very sorry, but we were within 120 days (4 months!) of departure, so it would cost us 20% of the total cost to cancel! ($3400 !!) If we had called 4 days sooner, it would only have been $100 per person! Additionally, Viking informed us we had to go to the third party insurer, the totally bogus “Trip Mate” to claim the rest of the cost. After 4 hours of struggling with their website, “travelclaims.com” with no success, we finally got a phone number from Viking to call them direct. They told us that Covid was not on their “official list of approved” reasons for a cash refund, and they offered a voucher instead! This was a last blow-out trip for us, we have no plans for any future cruises, so a voucher for us is worthless. So, we ended up losing $5,000 total ($1600 on the insurance and $3400 for the 20% “fee”) on a trip where we never got out of our front door. A four (!) day delay in when we called to cancel cost us $3200!! Yes, the penalty schedule is printed on the paperwork, but being told we wouldn’t lose a penny was deceiving, at best. We were also not made aware the insurance was administered by a third party. Needless to say, we are done with Viking, and I would tell anyone who asks me about them to book any other cruise line. We feel robbed and cheated. 

A few questions occurred to me after reading your post:

*   Did you read the penalty schedule before or after you booked the cruise?

*   Did you read the insurance policy before or after you selected it?

*   When the agent said you "wouldn't lose a penny," did you inquire further with him/her as to how you'd be compensated under the policy, e.g., with cash, a voucher, etc.?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, HulkSmash181 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, looks like you just joined as this is your first post.

Most of the regular posters on the Viking Board do not require your "Buyer Beware" warning, as we are informed consumers. We actually read the information that Viking provides and it is also discussed extensively on this platform.

When you booked the cruise, the Guest Statement includes the following information:

• Guest Cancellation Schedule, which outlines that for a full cash refund, less $100 you must cancel more than 120 days before departure. This schedule is also included in the Viking Terms & Conditions.
  • Risk Free Guarantee (RFG) - a link is provided to the terms of the RFG and the booking confirmation always includes an attachment with the RFG terms & conditions.
  • Viking Terms & Conditions (Cruise Contract) - it provides a link to this document and when receiving a booking confirmation they also attach a copy. The cancellation schedule is included.

If you purchase the Viking insurance they also attach the plan summary document, which contains a link to the full plan document.

Had you been an informed consumer and actually read and understood the information Viking provided, you would not have your current issue. Some key points are:

• Viking provides an almost full cash refund up to 120 days, surely you had this date written in a calendar. After 120 days it is a clearly stated sliding scale. In addition to me having this date in my Outlook calendar, my Travel Agent also enters it in her calendar and sends a reminder a few days before.
  • The RFG provides the option to cancel and receive FCV valid for 2-years. You could have received FCV's for every penny you paid Viking.
  • The Viking insurance clearly states the reasons that you can cancel and receive a cash refund. The CFAR only provides FCV and they are only valid for 1-year.

Your issue clearly isn't Viking's fault, as they provided all the information to you regarding their policies & procedures. Unfortunately, for what ever reason you did not read and understand them.

• Like 8

I know that your post is your first one and we are not supposed to criticize the appearance of a post but I would like to make a suggestion.  It would have been a lot easier to read your post if you divided int into paragraphs.  A single long paragraph is hard to read.

With regard to your problem, as Heidi13 has said, anything verbal is always none binding.  Also, you could have had the same problem if you had booked on another line.  Trip cancelation policies are always confusing.  That is one of the reasons that you should find and book with a good TA.  Not a mass market TA but one who cares for you as a person.  They will help you with issues such as the ones that you encountered,

DON

• Like 1

20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I know that your post is your first one and we are not supposed to criticize the appearance of a post but I would like to make a suggestion.  It would have been a lot easier to read your post if you divided int into paragraphs.  A single long paragraph is hard to read.

With regard to your problem, as Heidi13 has said, anything verbal is always none binding.  Also, you could have had the same problem if you had booked on another line.  Trip cancelation policies are always confusing.  That is one of the reasons that you should find and book with a good TA.  Not a mass market TA but one who cares for you as a person.  They will help you with issues such as the ones that you encountered,

DON

Yes a good TA is quite valuable.  And sadly, a valuable lesson learned for you in a painful way - always read everything.  As someone here stated, many of us on CruiseCritic already know this and we occasionally see unfortunately, the person who comes on feeling victimized.  Sorry for your loss.

But seriously - ALL CAPS ????    Not going to garner much sympathy that way.  This forum is not the book of faces.

On 3/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, HulkSmash181 said:

we are done with Viking

It could be worse.  It could be MSC...

As others have said, find a good TA.  At the very least the TA is another set of eyes to look over the T&Cs for you before pulling the trigger on booking and cancelling.

• Like 1

We have had to cancel several times and rebook, due to Covid-19.  We knew what the guidelines were and quite frankly were pleased the way Viking handled it.   Years ago, my mother in law who lived with us passed away three days before the start of our cruise.  When speaking with Viking, they were very accommodating in allowing us to cancel the cruise at the last minute.  We did have to go through the insurance, but had no problems with it at all, receiving a full refund.  We feel their policy is fair as long as you understand what it is and and what it is not.  JohnEB

• Like 3

In 2016 when Viking Oceans was just a pup ( and only had one serviceable ship) my dear husband and I had a trip booked on the Viking Star which got stuck in Tallin after a stop in St. Petersburg.  We were to pick the ship up on its next run out of Olso. If it had not been for CC and our super TA we may have already been on our way to Olso to meet the ship.   She worked miracles and somehow managed to cancel everything without penalties. I followed CC and knew how passengers were being treated, off loaded to other venues to fly home and what happened to fellow cruisers on the rest of their cruise.  It was very interesting to follow and it has taken me this long to think and reconsider again Viking Oceans. Still have not decided.