Deck chairs?

Scubaqn

20 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

My husband and I sit side by side and take it in turns to go the restroom, down the slides or get drinks or snacks. If we decide to go together we gather up our crap and let someone else have the chairs. I really don't see what is so difficult in actually using the chairs rather than simply using them for the storage of your single flip flop

So if a couple want to go in the hot tub for 10 minutes, their seat can be taken, even though NCL permits their stuff there for an hour? What if they have children, my husband and I would show the kids were we planned on being. This really doesn’t apply to mr, I hate crowds so we find chairs as far away from the pool deck as possible, but it seems like in polite society one could use the pool.

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

So if a couple want to go in the hot tub for 10 minutes, their seat can be taken, even though NCL permits their stuff there for an hour? What if they have children, my husband and I would show the kids were we planned on being. This really doesn’t apply to mr, I hate crowds so we find chairs as far away from the pool deck as possible, but it seems like in polite society one could use the pool.

If I were going in the pool or hot tub I would be within sight of my chair so I would be able to shout out something like "It's OK, I'm just in here" plus there would be more than just my flip flop or towel there, likely my shoes would be next to the sunbed, my drink on the table nearby and my sundress on the bed

1 hour ago, SpainAlien said:

If I were going in the pool or hot tub I would be within sight of my chair so I would be able to shout out something like "It's OK, I'm just in here" plus there would be more than just my flip flop or towel there, likely my shoes would be next to the sunbed, my drink on the table nearby and my sundress on the bed

I wouldn’t be watching my chair, if I could even see it. What if someone wants to get a drink or use the bathroom?  Grab a banana from the buffet? NCL says an hour, if lazy Lucy wants to try and find a chair at 11 am, should she just toss towels off of chairs? Even though NCL’s policy is that folks are free to leave them for a bit?

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I wouldn’t be watching my chair, if I could even see it. What if someone wants to get a drink or use the bathroom?  Grab a banana from the buffet? NCL says an hour, if lazy Lucy wants to try and find a chair at 11 am, should she just toss towels off of chairs? Even though NCL’s policy is that folks are free to leave them for a bit?

As of my cruise two weeks ago, it was 30 mins. I don't think the issue most have is with people that use the chairs all day. You should be free to leave for short periods of time, and come back to find your stuff still there. The problem is with people that "rope off" chairs at 8 a.m., and then don't plop themselves down in them until after lunch. We have all sat a couple of rows back, and observed chairs go unoccupied for hours. I'll usually point them out to a family searching endlessly for a place to sit.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

As of my cruise two weeks ago, it was 30 mins. I don't think the issue most have is with people that use the chairs all day. You should be free to leave for short periods of time, and come back to find your stuff still there. The problem is with people that "rope off" chairs at 8 a.m., and then don't plop themselves down in them until after lunch. We have all sat a couple of rows back, and observed chairs go unoccupied for hours. I'll usually point them out to a family searching endlessly for a place to sit.

I totally agree with you, if you don’t plan on using the chairs leave them for others. Don’t set up your camp at 6 am so you have a seat at 10 after breakfast. We are a family of 7, it would be ridiculous if we secured 7 chairs anywhere, 2 is plenty because if others join us they can sit at the edge of the chairs.

• Like 3

book a haven with the pool and jacuzzi in the haven complex. usually there are enough chairs to go around. problem solved!

i cant believe how many people have posted such hostile reactions over a freaking chair. 

hey "touch my stuff", lighten up! youre supposed to be on vacation.i would suggest dont get your knickers in a twist over a chair.

• Like 2

Several years ago I went on a cruise, I'm an early riser so I went to get a cup of tea at about 6am.  I saw a man put towels and books on 6 poolside chairs. I passed several times that day and never saw anyone in any of those chairs. All still had the towels and books. I'm not sure if they were ever used. The second day I saw the man sitting in one of the chairs, I assume he did the same thing that day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, habc said:

Several years ago I went on a cruise, I'm an early riser so I went to get a cup of tea at about 6am.  I saw a man put towels and books on 6 poolside chairs. I passed several times that day and never saw anyone in any of those chairs. All still had the towels and books. I'm not sure if they were ever used. The second day I saw the man sitting in one of the chairs, I assume he did the same thing that day.

Yeah, but according to Mr Wonderful, you have no idea if he (all6 of them) came back to those chairs as soon as you passed by each time.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Yes and if one person arrives at the pool after the chairs are taken he has to realize he got there after the chairs were taken.  If he thinks someone is violating some sort of ship rule/policy, it is not on him to rationalize him doing something else wrong by touching another person's property.  I said and I stand by, touch my stuff and you WILL have a problem on your hands.  I didn't make any physical threats, I simply stated a fact that if anyone touches my personal belonging while on a cruise, there will be consequences.  I also stand by the 100% FACT That unless someone stands right by a chair and watch it for longer than the allotted time, that person has no way at all of knowing if it was unoccupied the entire time.  I am not a pool or deck chair person so it won't impact me, but go ahead and touch my stuff...

You do realize those towels are not someone's personal property since they belong to the cruise line?

11 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Wow, it is universally accepted that putting a towel on a chair reserves the chair. How the heck can anyone use the pool, or the restroom, if they risk getting up from their chair? The cruise line has posted limits on how long the chair can be unoccupied before it’s considered abandoned. If you want a chair by the pool, get there early. Have some manners, it’s not a free for all.

If you get up to go to bathroom, then you are not using the chair, and someone else is going to use the chair.  Easy.  You'll just find another chair. 

Why should you get a chair that you are not using, while someone waiting for a chair should go without?  Just share the common space.  You should not get to reserve it.

If I go jump in the pool and I want to swim laps, do you also keep people out of the pool because it is your pool?  No.

Deck chairs are a limited resource,  a few hundred for a few thousand.  You need to share.

11 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Wow, it is universally accepted that putting a towel on a chair reserves the chair. 

That makes no sense.  

If you put your towel down to reserve your deck chair, I put down my towel, how would you know which towel and chair is your and which is mine?  They are both NCL chairs and NCL towels.  

If you were to put a sign "mjkanmom's chair", or whatever, I could understand.  But which of the towels in a bunch of chairs is actually yours?

1 hour ago, pdmlynek said:

If you were to put a sign "mjkanmom's chair", or whatever, I could understand.  But which of the towels in a bunch of chairs is actually yours?

It's the one with the dime store novel on top of the towel.  It may have even been jacked from the ship's library.