No More Kids in the Suite Lounge During the Evening Hours

I understand this is a change in policy starting this week.  Only those of drinking age will be permitted in the Suite Lounge in the evenings.  I hope people don’t put the concierges in the position of enforcing this new policy and instead go to management if they disagree with it.  Changes such as this come from listening to feedback.  It is clear what feedback Royal is getting.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-dining/suite-lounge

Edited by SailorMarg
  • Like 2

take your kids to a bar often?

its a couple of hours, only place it really has any effect is on Oasis class ship when the CK and suite lounge are combined.

There they allow kids.

Really did you take your kids to the Diamond lounge during the old HH

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, lovelife said:

I don't see anything in the linked info about children. I'm on board this week and the concierge letter says guests 20 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during cocktail hours in the suite lounge.

I think OP is referring to this section, near the bottom:

"PRO TIP

Kids are welcome at the Suite Lounge during breakfast hours. In the evenings, the space is open to guests of legal drinking age.".

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruisegus said:

its a couple of hours, only place it really has any effect is on Oasis class ship when the CK and suite lounge are combined.

There they allow kids.

My kids are both well into their 20s now.  But, yes, my son and his older sibling started regularly attending pub quiz at a local Irish pub when they were 14 and 16.  When the oldest moved away for uni I started going with my son right up until they closed during Covid (reopening next week, we're very excited).  

Not to mention all the time spent in bars on ships, playing trivia, game shows, karaoke, just socializing, etc.  Or going to bars in the US (when legal, the US can be weird about these things) to see their uncle's band perform....

And also yes, the "kids" were in the lounge often as teens (we didn't start sailing RCI until the youngest was 12, otherwise it would've happened sooner).  We usually took cards and played euchre and enjoyed snacks and drinks (sodas for the kids, and most of the time for me) before dinner.  Sometimes we just chatted and socialized with each other and other guests.   

Personally, I never understood the thought process that taking a kid where people are drinking is in and if itself a problem.  And I am happy with any person behaving politely sitting in the lounges.  Kids being loud or running around?  Sure kick them out.  Also kick out the adult loudly talking on his phone, watching videos at volume in the lounge, drunkenly yelling at staff, etc.

• Like 25

2 hours ago, cruisegus said:

There they allow kids.

I do take our son to bars and have taken our son to the old DL happy hour many a time if the letter in the cabin say it is ok when he is accompanied. He is happy to chat with us for an hour before dinner.

There isn't really the big taboo with this in the UK that there appears to be in the States, our drinking age is 18 and I'm pretty sure its lower in Europe. Some bars are welcoming and encourage families with children by providing play areas and the like.

I can't actually see anything on the link though that states the change but if that's the rule then fair enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Personally, I never understood the thought process that taking a kid where people are drinking is in and if itself a problem.  And I am happy with any person behaving politely sitting in the lounges.  Kids being loud or running around?  Sure kick them out.  Also kick out the adult loudly talking on his phone, watching videos at volume in the lounge, drunkenly yelling at staff, etc.

In the US, taking a child into a bar is illegal. Not taking a child to drinking places (such as a restaurant) but specifically into a bar. As for the other things you listed, while they may be obnoxious, they aren't illegal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Tin can said:

I do take our son to bars and have taken our son to the old DL happy hour many a time if the letter in the cabin say it is ok when he is accompanied. He is happy to chat with us for an hour before dinner.

There isn't really the big taboo with this in the UK that there appears to be in the States, our drinking age is 18 and I'm pretty sure its lower in Europe. Some bars are welcoming and encourage families with children by providing play areas and the like.

I can't actually see anything on the link though that states the change but if that's the rule then fair enough.

It's not a taboo in the States, it's a law. A bar can lose it's liquor licenses if a minor is caught in there during operating hours. Not right, not wrong, it just is what it is.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

It's not a taboo in the States, it's a law. A bar can lose it's liquor licenses if a minor is caught in there during operating hours. Not right, not wrong, it just is what it is.

Yes understand its law, I was talking more generally about how our societies view things.

Minors can't drink alchohol in the UK but I quite often bring my son with me when I visit a pub or bar, I did last night for an hour early evening as it happened. I wouldn't hesitate taking him into the DL happy hour.

Even it wasn't law in the US I'm  not sure this would sit well with the majority of Americans. Its not a big thing over here but as this is mainly an American forum I expect some criticism of my comments.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tin can said:

Yes understand its law, I was talking more generally about how our societies view things.

Minors can't drink alchohol in the UK but I quite often bring my son with me when I visit a pub or bar, I did last night for an hour early evening as it happened. I wouldn't hesitate taking him into the DL happy hour.

Even it wasn't law in the US I'm  not sure this would sit well with the majority of Americans. Its not a big thing over here but as this is mainly an American forum I expect some criticism of my comments.

I've been stationed in the UK and Germany and married a German and I've taken my kids to the pub or gasthaus many a time with no ill effects but I have never taken them to a "bar". From my point of view a pub or gasthaus is a family environment but a bar isn't. That being said I think most US laws are too uptight and prudish but it is what it is.

Funny incident (to me) is when my 7 year old nephew (in a gasthaus) actually went up to the bar and bought a beer.....for his dad (who didn't want to get up and get it himself). No one batted an eye there but here many folks would have had a conniption fit and there would be protests the next day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Most pubs in the UK are family friendly or have one bar that is family friendly. A lot of the pub gardens have swings, slides etc 

I guess there may be old fashioned pubs in backstreets of big towns or cities where children are not welcome but I've never been in them.  Having said that I think most families who go to pubs are having a meal. 

In the old days of my childhood, people didn't often eat out. There were no fast food restaurants and if the adults went into a pub for a drink on a day out, the kids would stay in the car with a bottle of coke and packet of crisps , different times. 

Pubs have changed over the years to be more inclusive and not just drinking dens

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

In my state, minors can be IN the bar, just not AT the bar.    

we have certainly brought our kids to the pub for dinner (and drinks for us) .  Just can’t sit at the bar itself. 

I know a lot of families who spend a lot of money on their suites.   I would hate for them to be excluded from using all of the privileges.   Suite guests don’t get vouchers loaded onto their sea pass cards.  

I hope the pro-tip is just a tip that warns you the atmosphere is different in the evening.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

Yeah, my kids gree up in Germany, where they could legally buy their own beer, wine and cider at 16 and hard alcohol at 18.

They both drink far less than their same aged cousins who grew up in the states though 🤣 and my oldest was positively shocked as a college freshman in Colorado by the dangerous drinking culture so prevalent in that age group in the states.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

But it's a law (in some states) based on attitudes about it bring taboo to take kids to drinking establishments.

Edited by xxHadleyxx

Just now, Cel_cruise said:

In my state, minors can be IN the bar, just not AT the bar.    

we have certainly brought our kids to the pub for dinner (and drinks for us) .  Just can’t sit at the bar itself. 

I know a lot of families who spend a lot of money on their suites.   I would hate for them to be excluded from using all of the privileges.   Suite guests don’t get vouchers loaded onto their sea pass cards.  

I hope the pro-tip is just a tip that warns you the atmosphere is different in the evening.

It does seem strange to me when Royal sell themselves as the family line with waterslides, laser quest and the likes and the people paying the most for this in suites can't sit with them in the evening.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Tin can said:

It does seem strange to me when Royal sell themselves as the family line with waterslides, laser quest and the likes and the people paying the most for this in suites can't sit with them in the evening.

Well, the kids aren't the ones paying, are they?

I see no problem with having some adult only locations.

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cruisegus said:

There they allow kids.

I always did to Both DL & CL, made Diamond over 20yrs ago. Single Parent raising 3 Kids on my own, where else should they have gone. Growing up my Parents always took us to Bar/Lounge, VFW, American Legion, grew up on Cheeseburgers and Pizza. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

In the US, taking a child into a bar is illegal. Not taking a child to drinking places (such as a restaurant) but specifically into a bar. As for the other things you listed, while they may be obnoxious, they aren't illegal.

Not in any state where I've ever lived.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Not illegal to bring my kids into a bar in New Hampshire, either.   Heck, our bartenders and waitresses in bars are only required to be 18.  

• Like 6

There's always going to be a debate on this.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as children are supervised and know how to behave I have no issue.  What I take issue with is those parents who disregard their child's behavior and allow them to become a nuisance to others.  IMO, those parents should be banned from the lounge.

• Like 10