Has anyone used the NAVICA app to test for Covid?

On 3/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

We will be using iPads.  How do you set the iPad so it stays focused on the test card for the 15 minutes?  Videos I watched all had phones hooked up to some kind of flexible holder.  It’s too late to try to get one.  Even if one of us holds the iPad for the other, I think it will be wobbly to hold for that long.

We used our phones, propped up on the kitchen counter, no holder necessary. We could walk around and do other things but left the test sitting in view and all was good.

11 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

So I just completed my home test.  

1.  Connect to emed.com

2.   Select Start Testing

3.   Log in using creds created in Navica

4.  Answer a few questions and the disclaimer - normal stuff.

5.  The tool will confirm audio, video and network operability.  When it checks for audio input say something so it can hear you.

6.  A proctor will come on to walk you through the test.  He'll identify you and scan your photo ID.  Then he'll scan the QR code on the box and check the dates.

7.  Next he'll have you angle the camera.  On my laptop that was a tilt of about 45 degrees.  He'll then confirm he can see the box on a flat surface and tell you to open it and place the contents where he can see them.

8.  Now comes the hard part as he tries to scan the QR on the test card.  Took about 5 minutes.

9.  Now he watches you put the drops in the card then swab your nostrils and stuff the swab in the card.  Then he makes sure he can still see the card and gives a short lecture about the importance of not moving the card during the 15 minute period.  Then he starts the timer and leaves.

10.  When the timer ends there will be an annoying alarm.  You'll have to click on the box that says "I'm Ready" so the verification proctor will show up. You show him the card and when he sees the results sends them to Navica.  I got my confirmation email in about 5 minutes.

When you open the confirmation pdf it will be password protected.  It's your birthdate.

So it did change a little since our November testing but it's no big deal.

I did the test 2 weeks ago and this is the process we followed. I’ll highlight #10 as it is very difficult to see the “I’m ready” button that you need to click with the laptop screen tilted and I didn’t know that it wasn’t automatic at the end of the 15 minutes. You can void the test if you move the screen such that the test is out of view too.

Our tests also said nothing about the emed website, only NAVICA. Luckily we were with friends who had a sleeve on their tests with the website and code. I guess Optum messed up when they shipped the tests to us. 

I'll add that it helps to have an account with the navica app before starting the testing.  

Also, before omicron the tests had pretty short expiration dates.  I just ordered and received tests with expiration dates in early 2023.

Finally, HAVE A BACKUP PLAN, my father in law was going to use an extra test I had before his hawaii cruise and the testing solution bottle was empty.  As this was in early Jan when omicron was everywhere and there was a rush on tests, he had to pay for a very expensive rapid travel test at a clinic the day before sailing.  Fortunately Optum refunded my complete purchase for the 2 pack of tests I purchased when I reported this.  They indicated about 1% of tests have this issue.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 7:28 AM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

This is the same process as we had in January except for #8, we didn’t have any trouble scanning the code

I held the QR in the same manner all 3 times.  2 of the 3 proctors had me moving it all around but the 3rd had no problem.  User error on someones part.  😁

On 3/4/2022 at 12:31 PM, azbirdmom said:

I did the test 2 weeks ago and this is the process we followed. I’ll highlight #10 as it is very difficult to see the “I’m ready” button that you need to click with the laptop screen tilted and I didn’t know that it wasn’t automatic at the end of the 15 minutes. You can void the test if you move the screen such that the test is out of view too.

Our tests also said nothing about the emed website, only NAVICA. Luckily we were with friends who had a sleeve on their tests with the website and code. I guess Optum messed up when they shipped the tests to us. 

For DW an me I kind of looked under at the angled screen and was able to click it.  Kind of annoying.  So when we did our daughter I just stood the screen up, clicked then re-angled the screen.  I told the proctor when she came on and she saw no problem with that since the recording was done.

• A quick comment on QR scanning and video.  The code for the test card is scanned before taking the test.  Then the test is videoed supposedly to test anyone tampering with the card.  After the test the code is scanned again.  I don't know much about QR codes but if someone swapped cards wouldn't the scans show different results?

So we just finished our take at home tests.  Used my laptop for both myself and husband.  Had no issues other than audio (they couldn't hear us), however the proctor said let me reconnect something and it was fixed and he could hear me.  When my husband connected same issue, however this proctor didn't know what to do and said it was on my end?  So he had to type his answers in a chat box at the bottom right hand corner.  No problem, just a work around for anyone having this issue.  I use FaceTime all the time on my MacBook Air and have no issues, so I'm assuming it was in the connection itself.  But one proctor did know how to fix it while the other did not.  Also found it interesting how they are all different in their process while observing my husbands session.  But we were both negative!!!  So all is good. Would highly recommend this process to do at home over going to a facility and waiting for those results . . . .  The test averages out to $35/pp and can be reimbursed through HSA or FSA accounts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DiRonT said:

If we set up a Navica account last November for our Majestic cruise, can I use that same account for our April cruise, or do I have to set up a new account?

We set ours up late November for a cruise on Sky.  Used the same creds for this week on Caribbean.  Being a little paranoid I checked them a week before we needed them.

4 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We set ours up late November for a cruise on Sky.  Used the same creds for this week on Caribbean.  Being a little paranoid I checked them a week before we needed them.

Great - thanks for your response.  Our tests last November were purchased from Optum and this time from Emed - but since they both use the Navica app I was hoping this would work.

2 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Can you use an Apple Ipad instead of a laptop to connect with Navica?  We don't drag a laptop around with us.

My wife used an Ipad three times, never had a problem.

My $0.02: I just did this for the first time this morning. Android phone, Linux laptop. No issues. I got on at 6 AM EDT. There was no wait. Very happy with how simple it was. I was pretty anxious beforehand. Result on the app came maybe 5 minutes after we were done. Result came by email while we were still talking.

I printed out the result in case that's simpler at boarding. 

Forgot: I did have to lock up the cat. They didn't ask me to but he came up right as I was opening the test kit. 

Edited by epistax

5 hours ago, skents said:

My wife used an Ipad three times, never had a problem.

Was this recently? We could not get it to work for our December cruise.  The eMed website kept crashing and they were blaming it on the recent iOS updates.  They said they would call me back shortly but they never called.  They sent me an email after we had already returned home from our cruise. They told us to try it again, it should work now (already home from cruise) so I went ahead and tried it again and it still did not work.

48 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Was this recently? We could not get it to work for our December cruise.  The eMed website kept crashing and they were blaming it on the recent iOS updates.  They said they would call me back shortly but they never called.  They sent me an email after we had already returned home from our cruise. They told us to try it again, it should work now (already home from cruise) so I went ahead and tried it again and it still did not work.

She has used her IPad three times - Thanksgiving Day, the first week of January, and the last week of January. No problems. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skents said:

She has used her IPad three times - Thanksgiving Day, the first week of January, and the last week of January. No problems. 

1 hour ago, skents said:

It looks like we had the one month when they had a problem, lol.  I will try it again for our next cruise.  Thanks!