Flight cancelled - missed Apex sailing!

LambChopFiend

OP glad you were able to get a good outcome.

I have to say I feel your angst. We are currently on that Apex sailing and had flights booked to get us to Mia on Friday (day prior to sailing)

We then experienced a rolling delay for our flight for most of the day. I was frantically looking at options as time wore on but was coming up with nothing. 
the flight did indeed operate but very late and we eventually made it to MIA after midnight and our hotel in Ft Lauderdale after 1:00am.

Anyhows, we’re here now and having a great time after a stressful time on Friday.

10 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Travel demand is sky high this year on top of it.

Not so sure about travel demand being sky high although with PCR testing recently being eliminated it does seem to be picking up. I was at Pearson International Airport last month heading towards FLL for a cruise. The airport was a ghost town and AC flight was less than 2/3 full, however, I am always monitoring for changes and cancellations.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

SAY WHAT!!!!!  They changed the Apex to terminal 29?  I thought you must be crazy from the travel screw up.... Just checked out the Port Everglade web cams to see the Equinox at terminal 25.  Why in the world did they change terminals? I have never know the Apex or the Edge to get booted from terminal 25.  Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers,

🍸

I should have said "Edge", not "Apex".

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Often wondered about “FLIGHTS BY CELEBRITY”.  Good to know there are no guarantees.  They never offered anything that I couldn’t get myself by booking my own flights.

I book day of embarkation, also.  It works for me.  But, I always have a couple of other flights that would also get me to the pier on time for sailing.

Where are you coming from?  

How could a travel agent "guarantee " your flight(s) would arrive on time.  Glad you are happy with day of embarkation.   It works until it doesn't. 

For example, lots of Phoenix to LA flights.   Some 40!  Unless a crash closes the airport for 3 hours.  Our of Tucson there are some 6 flights on 3 airlines.  Missed the ship once because the VPresident flew into town for a press conference at the airport.  Everything on a ground hold for 4 hours!

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

How could a travel agent "guarantee " your flight(s) would arrive on time.  Glad you are happy with day of embarkation.   It works until it doesn't. 

For example, lots of Phoenix to LA flights.   Some 40!  Unless a crash closes the airport for 3 hours.  Our of Tucson there are some 6 flights on 3 airlines.  Missed the ship once because the VPresident flew into town for a press conference at the airport.  Everything on a ground hold for 4 hours!

I agree they can’t possibly guarantee it without a fleet of private jets, but the point is more that due to the way they advertise it, many people are falsely under the impression that they are somehow guaranteed on the ship in some way (flight to first port).

3 hours ago, zanderblue said:

OP glad you were able to get a good outcome.

I have to say I feel your angst. We are currently on that Apex sailing and had flights booked to get us to Mia on Friday (day prior to sailing)

We then experienced a rolling delay for our flight for most of the day. I was frantically looking at options as time wore on but was coming up with nothing. 
the flight did indeed operate but very late and we eventually made it to MIA after midnight and our hotel in Ft Lauderdale after 1:00am.

Anyhows, we’re here now and having a great time after a stressful time on Friday.

Thank you. Yes it looked like a stressful day for anyone coming in to Florida across the board. 

4 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

SAY WHAT!!!!!  They changed the Apex to terminal 29?  I thought you must be crazy from the travel screw up.... Just checked out the Port Everglade web cams to see the Equinox at terminal 25.  Why in the world did they change terminals? I have never know the Apex or the Edge to get booted from terminal 25.  Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers,

🍸

They said Equinox had “technical issues”. Our sailing is delayed because they said we need to pull back into terminal 25 once equinox is gone so that we can refuel, which will take 2.5 hours. We haven’t moved from 29 as of 6:00pm.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LambChopFiend said:

I agree they can’t possibly guarantee it without a fleet of private jets, but the point is more that due to the way they advertise it, many people are falsely under the impression that they are somehow guaranteed on the ship in some way (flight to first port).

There are only two guarantees in life and we all know what they are.

• Like 3

Any weather problem would impact all flights from a given airport.   Winter weather, just yesterday, caused a thousand cancellations.    The airports just shut down so later flights were not departing either.   If you like to gamble, and obviously many do, keep flying in the day of your cruise.

5 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

OP....glad it worked out for you. 

We're booked on APEX TA next month. Booked flights through Celebrity as pricing was much better than what I could get myself. Problem is the great day before non-stop flight from LAX-FLL was change to an overnight flight ....with 1 stop...with arrival at 6:45 a.m. To change to a day before flight (again) would have cost $$$ as the whole trip would have to be re-booked and the return from AMS in Business class would now be more than 2x what I initially paid. Fingers crossed we get to FLL on time. Same thing happened to a friend for her cruise on EDGE. 

Flights right now are changing a lot. We’re flying to Naples in May to do a land/cruise vacation Italy and cruise on the Edge and United has changed our outbound flights four times and our return twice. I now check daily. We were flying from Palm Springs to Naples with three stops which was doable but when United added the fourth stop and tightened up the layover times we had them to change it to an LAX departure with one stop. Have to work on the return flight tomorrow as it changed yesterday. Who knows what it will look like come May.

• Like 1