New To Oceania - a few Questions

3113Timmy

Hi there!! I'm Timmy (not my real name). 

My profile: I am a friendly and handsome** medical doctor in my early forties, physically fit, health-conscious, well-read and travelled. I am happily single although I would not be averse to a suitable suitress of similar background. This is my first overseas trip since the beginning of the pandemic.

I've been on three cruises previously and enjoyed all of them, though they all had their shortcomings. Royal Caribbean to Alaska in 2012, then Cruise and Maritime to Iceland in 2013, and Victoria Cruises on the Yangtse River in 2019. (I've been on two overnight cruises on Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound but I'm not counting them.) For me, cruising is most about the destinations rather than the boat, but food is a very high priority. I am almost teetotal but not quite (I will occasionally go to wine tasting or have a couple of drinks on New Year's Eve if I don't have to drive).

Just a few housekeeping questions:

(1) Would I get assigned seating in dining (main dining room) or would I get my own table? I love meeting people of all ages and nationalities but I'm happy either way in the present pandemic environment.

(2) The cruise departs at 1900 hrs but boarding begins at midday. I want to maximise my pre cruise sightseeing as much as possible - much more valuable to me than one free lunch. When is the latest I realistically need to present for boarding?

(3) Would the demographics of this cruise make me feel young again?

(4) Being a spring (April) departure, would I expect the cruise to be less busy and crowded than during the peak summer season?

(5) Do you have any suggestions on how to make the most of this cruise!?!

(6) How hard is it (as, say, a B veranda guest without priority) to make reservations at the specialty dining halls?

(7) When does breakfast start in the morning?

**Debatable - with some degree of sarcasm. It's a cruising forum so some self-promotion is obligatory.

Welcome aboard

1) it is open dining so you can eat alone or share with others

they do have solo get togethers  (there was a recent thread on solo cruising)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2831831-traveling-solo-on-oceania/#comment-62746898

2)you should be ONBOARD at least 2 hrs prior to sailaway

3) maybe

4)the itinerary will dictate how busy they are plus if covid restriction are still in place

5)Join the roll call for your sailing  & relax /enjoy

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/321-oceania-roll-calls/

6)Specialty restaurant  are not a problem if you cook when the time slot for you opens up 45 days out  (I believe)

7)some start 6:30 am  depends on where you want to eat

Room service 24/7

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 3113Timmy said:

Hi there!! I'm Timmy (not my real name). 

My profile: I am a friendly and handsome** medical doctor in my early forties, physically fit, health-conscious, well-read and travelled. I am happily single although I would not be averse to a suitable suitress of similar background. This is my first overseas trip since the beginning of the pandemic.

I've been on three cruises previously and enjoyed all of them, though they all had their shortcomings. Royal Caribbean to Alaska in 2012, then Cruise and Maritime to Iceland in 2013, and Victoria Cruises on the Yangtse River in 2019. (I've been on two overnight cruises on Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound but I'm not counting them.) For me, cruising is most about the destinations rather than the boat, but food is a very high priority. I am almost teetotal but not quite (I will occasionally go to wine tasting or have a couple of drinks on New Year's Eve if I don't have to drive).

(1) Would I get assigned seating in dining (main dining room) or would I get my own table? I love meeting people of all ages and nationalities but I'm happy either way in the present pandemic environment.

(2) The cruise departs at 1900 hrs but boarding begins at midday. I want to maximise my pre cruise sightseeing as much as possible - much more valuable to me than one free lunch. When is the latest I realistically need to present for boarding?

Being in your 40s will make you one of the youngest people on the ship! By far!  Oceania  passengers tend to be an older group. In my experience very similar to Holland America. 

On 3/13/2022 at 5:50 PM, 3113Timmy said:

(5) Do you have any suggestions on how to make the most of this cruise!?!

(7) When does breakfast start in the morning?

Wife & I did Riviera 12/13-23/21 W. Caribbean A4 Concierge Veranda...

(1) We never did eat in the GDR. Found just getting a table aft outside in the Terrace Cafe was so refreshing. The grilled lobster & lamb & steak & shrimp to die for at dinner! Met a nice retired USAF doctor sailing solo due to loss of spouse. We'd see her out aft there daily and chat. And being ex-USAF myself, whenever I'd see her we'd discuss our service times.

(3) I counted about 10 people in their 20s, mainly 23-25. We had 719 passengers. A smattering of 30s and 40s somethings, too. NO children or teens that I saw. I'm 58 and felt young around so many passengers in the ate 60s and up.

(4) Our cruise had 3 "Solo Travellers Meet with Social Hostess Christina" in Baristas at 1830. Days 1, Day 4, and Day 8. Read the daily Currents to see if there are any groups meeting that fit you (e.g., we had a Veterans group meeting early and I met about 30 veterans, many of whom I'd talk to on the cruise).

(7) Check out the daily Currents for the hours. For example, on Day 10 Breakfast-in-Suite, Coffee Corner Horizons, and Waves Grill opened at 0630 while the Terrace Cafe opened at 0700 and the GDR at 0730. But on Day 9 Waves opened at 0730 and the GDR at 0800. Baristas opened at 0630.

@3113Timmy I am in my 40s, started cruising on Oceania in my 30s. I will say yes, fellow passengers will make you feel young again, but completely in a good way. Many will comment "you must be one of the youngest in the ship!" but this is an active, engaged and energic bunch. And many of them can stay up later than I can... You are not checking into a floating long term care facility. 😉 Enjoy!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lorimay said:

Being in your 40s will make you one of the youngest people on the ship! By far!  Oceania  passengers tend to be an older group. In my experience very similar to Holland America. 

Doc....most will have kids as old or older than you.    On the other hand  you can learn a lot from listening and sharing  in their conversation...    its a  very well traveled and experienced diverse group open to conversation and cuisine.  A very stimulating  well mannered and low key bunch to hang with.  It is that sort od demographic  unlike others.  While port exploration may be the stage  the passengers tend to be the drama.     Enjoy

I don't mind that at all. I used to work with obviously mostly older people during my residency years and they were from all over the world and always had something to talk about and learn from in the few spare moments I got to sit down and talk to them. In many ways that was the best part of my job!

Personally, I really look forward to being able to do long-term cruising when I retire in 25 years' time. But I do have the responsibility of making sure my mom and dad who are non-cruisers get through their life with maximum extent, quality and dignity first!

We began cruising in our 40/50's and enjoyed it so much we're still cruising in our 70's.  Have met many lovely people from all sorts of demographics, and enjoyed them all.  The only cruises we regret are those we weren't able to take (mostly during the past couple pandemic years).

I cruise to visit places without driving and lugging suitcases, and not having to search for a good restaurant.  Meeting compatible people is a great plus!

• Like 3

I am hoping to tag in on this thread with some more New to Oceania questions.  I’ve sailed quite a bit but mostly on Princess with some on Cunard and Celebrity. 

We’ve been wanting to try out Oceania for some time now and the Regatta has an 8 day sailing out of LA this year that I just put a hold on. 

I am wondering a few things.  

Will Oceania refare you if the price drops between booking and sailing?  Even after final payment?  

I put a hold on an A1 and have read the differences between the A and B category.  I am wondering what folks actual experiences are with ordering from MDR menus for room service.
Does the food come hot and just as nicely presented as in the MDR?  

The A cabins on Regatta are quite tiny.  How challenging is it to actually eat a meal in the room?  

Will they bring food course by course or do you have to order appetizers, main and dessert all at once?  

Is MDR open for lunch on port days? 

What has your experience been with the free laundry, clothes pressing upon embarkation and shoe polishing?  I like to have DH jacket pressed and shoes shined upon boarding. I understand dressing up is not required but it is our personal preference to do so.  

thank you in advance for any help you may provide

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am hoping to tag in on this thread with some more New to Oceania questions.  I’ve sailed quite a bit but mostly on Princess with some on Cunard and Celebrity. 

We’ve been wanting to try out Oceania for some time now and the Regatta has an 8 day sailing out of LA this year that I just put a hold on. 

Hi Have Dog.

We also are O newbies, sailing Regatta from FP to Los Angeles on April 6, I promise to do a live from cataloging our experiences through first timers eyes.  We too are Princess veterans with substantial expectations of Oceania.  Watch for our thread starting two weeks from today.  I won’t be able to comment on shoe shining or jacket pressing, that’s over for me since I retired.

As it happens we’re also booked on the 8 day coastal in September, actually we’re booked on both back to back, which one did you reserve?

jon 

22 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Hi Have Dog.

We also are O newbies, sailing Regatta from FP to Los Angeles on April 6, I promise to do a live from cataloging our experiences through first timers eyes.  We too are Princess veterans with substantial expectations of Oceania.  Watch for our thread starting two weeks from today.  I won’t be able to comment on shoe shining or jacket pressing, that’s over for me since I retired.

As it happens we’re also booked on the 8 day coastal in September, actually we’re booked on both back to back, which one did you reserve?

jon 

Hi Jon

I recognize you from the boards.  Just curious was it the replacement of the Ruby by the Royal that sent you looking for a new cruise line like me?  

I am seriously interested in the Sept 9th sailing that goes to Eureka. That’s where my family still lives so win-win there.  I know it has an overnight in SF which is our home port but we never tire of visiting our favorite places in the city. Although we will eat on the ship since we really have been intrigued by the food reviews here. 

If you’ve sailed on the Grand or Jewel class with Princess I would be very interested in your take on the comparison of movement on the R class vs those ships. DH does tend to get a wee bit sea sick at times. 

I’m excited to read your live from. Hopefully more of your fellow sailors will chime in as well. 

jacqueline 

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am wondering a few things.  

Will Oceania refare you if the price drops between booking and sailing?  Even after final payment?  
They rarely go down  but you may get  an OBC as compensation

Prior to final payment you can usually get the new price

The A cabins on Regatta are quite tiny.  How challenging is it to actually eat a meal in the room?  

It will be  a challenge as the table is not that big  & with  a topper it is  a small space to  eat comfortably

Will they bring food course by course or do you have to order appetizers, main and dessert all at once?  

All together

Is MDR open for lunch on port days? 

usually  but some ports they may not be

What has your experience been with the free laundry, clothes pressing upon embarkation and shoe polishing?  I like to have DH jacket pressed and shoes shined upon boarding. I understand dressing up is not required but it is our personal preference to do so.  

Free pressing  will take a day or so to be returned  free laundry that is sent out is  a 2-3 day turnaround

The self server laundry  is free

I usually just do it myself if we need something that night

thank you in advance for any help you may provide

Enjoy

Welcome to O! I truly think that you will have an amazing experience. On this board we have several very knowledgeable, detail oriented, responsive posters so I am confident that you will get all of your questions answered. Maybe even multiple times. I’m probably not the best source of information since I only have two cruises under my belt (but several more are booked!).

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Welcome to O! I truly think that you will have an amazing experience. On this board we have several very knowledgeable, detail oriented, responsive posters so I am confident that you will get all of your questions answered. Maybe even multiple times. I’m probably not the best source of information since I only have two cruises under my belt (but several more are booked!).

Enjoy your cruise!

PhD-iva, I wonder what you did your PhD in!

Just now, 3113Timmy said:

Accounting at UCONN.

Ok, since you asked: 

undergraduate degree at Berkeley with honors

MBA at New York University

Masters of accounting at UConn

PhD in accounting at UConn

Oceania/Regent: retired and cruising!

OK, I will stop blowing my own horn now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi Jon

I recognize you from the boards.  Just curious was it the replacement of the Ruby by the Royal that sent you looking for a new cruise line like me?  

I am seriously interested in the Sept 9th sailing that goes to Eureka. That’s where my family still lives so win-win there.  I know it has an overnight in SF which is our home port but we never tire of visiting our favorite places in the city. Although we will eat on the ship since we really have been intrigued by the food reviews here. 

If you’ve sailed on the Grand or Jewel class with Princess I would be very interested in your take on the comparison of movement on the R class vs those ships. DH does tend to get a wee bit sea sick at times. 

I’m excited to read your live from. Hopefully more of your fellow sailors will chime in as well. 

jacqueline 

Hi Jaqueline

Actually, it was the sale of Pacific Princess by Princess that sent us to O.  We had been booked with Princess in FP, Covid cancelled that sailing and Princess sold her shortly after eliminating that possibility in the future.

We are booked on the Sept 9 sailing and the one that follows.  Like you SF is our home port (another reason we’ve been loyal to Princess) we prefer Grand to Ruby but to decision to post Royal to SF a played no role.  Like you we look forward to overnight in the port so SF (twice in our case)

We have sailed Grand many times, including her Ill fated voyage which landed us at Travis two years ago.  Sailed her in February to put good memories on top of the bad ones.  I will comment on what I expect to be some large differences.  DW also suffers a bit of motion issues at times, will report that as well though we sailed the old Fair Princess which was R size with no issues.

Edited by jondfk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Enjoy

Thank you very much for this very useful information.  The smallest cabin I’ve ever sailed in was 274 sq ft. I watched the you tube videos of the Regatta 216 sq ft cabins and am struggling a bit with whether or not my 6 ft 2 DH and I will ever stop bumping into each other. Although this could be marketed as a perk. 🤗

Does the balcony have a “table height” table?  The videos were a bit old and a lot may have changed. 

If full MDR meals can’t be comfortably consumed in the cabin I will need to rethink if the A category is really worth it. 

Thanks again

Jacqueline 

20 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Accounting at UCONN.

Ok, since you asked: 

Oceania/Regent: retired and cruising!

OK, I will stop blowing my own horn now.

My late grandfather was an accountant and by all accounts (no pun intended) was a perfectly satisfactory one, but he could never balance his own family's budget sheet. Expensive tastes for food, ladies, cigarettes (his liver was genetically unable to process alcohol!) and clothing definitely didn't help.

This is why none of us ever became accountants after. Luckily, I put enough into my social security and savings to go on cruises in later life.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

PS I didn’t mean to imply that I have ever worked at Oceania or Regent. Just that they are my preferred cruise lines! 

I still dream to do a PhD in public health obesity and diabetes. Oh, the irony.....

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 3113Timmy said:

27 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

ccounting at UCONN.

Ok, since you asked: 

Normally when I mention my masters in Statistics (UCDavis) with degrees in mathematics, computer science and environmental sciences folks’ eyes glaze over. I can see this might be a slightly different experience.  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Normally when I mention my masters in Statistics (UCDavis) with degrees in mathematics, computer science and environmental sciences folks’ eyes glaze over. I can see this might be a slightly different experience.  😎

I was a mathematician before I became a doctor. I still love numbers and read the math books in popular science. When I retire I'll volunteer to teach an adult numeracy class, like my grandmother did for literacy. Not being able to do your sums is like inability to swim: you drown in debt!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you very much for this very useful information.  The smallest cabin I’ve ever sailed in was 274 sq ft. I watched the you tube videos of the Regatta 216 sq ft cabins and am struggling a bit with whether or not my 6 ft 2 DH and I will ever stop bumping into each other. Although this could be marketed as a perk. 🤗

Does the balcony have a “table height” table?  The videos were a bit old and a lot may have changed. 

Jacqueline 

AFAIK  the balcony has more of  a footstool  height table  but we have not been on an R ship for several years

Hopefully someone will comment further

You may need a PH for your  needs