Traveling solo on Oceania?

YoPhilly

Like so many people, I have FCCs to use this year, and I'm considering a 10-12 night Mediterranean cruise without my husband.  (It's not intentional - he can't travel this year.). I've been planning a couple of weeks in Greece and thought - why not combine it with a cruise?  🤩.  I'd love to get feedback on your experience.  Any and all perspectives are appreciated.  Thanks!

Wow! I had a great time traveling solo on Riviera’s transatlantic  last November from Rome to Miami. I don’t have time now to re-create my previous posts describing the wonderful experience. Try the search function on this forum. If you’re unsuccessful, post again and later today I can put together something for you. But to summarize, they did a great job, with about five hosted get together‘s and dinners including alcohol. The first solo get together and dinner was on embarkation day so for the entire cruise we already knew a great group of people we could hang out with. More later. 

• Like 1

I just remembered, I think you can click on my profile and easily look up my previous posts. You might have to scroll through a few more recent ones that are not on point. But, let me know if you’re unsuccessful and I can help you later today.

• Like 1

While on Riviera 12/13-23/21 met a retired USAF colonel (medical) at the Veterans Gathering. Her husband had passed recently but she went on the cruise. Would chat with her every time I saw her. And she seemed to enjoy eating outside on the Terrace Cafe like my wife and I did. She told us she was enjoying herself immensely. We had 719 passengers so more opportunity for her to interact. But then she was friendly and outgoing. We chatted for at 30 minutes watching planes land at Roatan's airport, as they have to miss the big earth "mound" at the beginning of their landing. She was a bit bummed that the solo room rates for Vista were 75% of the cost. But they were all booked so she'll have to wait or get on waiting lists. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I just remembered, I think you can click on my profile and easily look up my previous posts. You might have to scroll through a few more recent ones that are not on point. But, let me know if you’re unsuccessful and I can help you later today.

I looked through your postings, but you are a prolific contributor!  I did see you mention that the assistant CD organized some get-togethers and MDR dinners for solo travelers.  Do they automatically do that on every sailing, or would I have to request something special?  The Med itinerary is port-intensive so there's not much chance I'll get lonely or bored.  Then again, it's a whopping amount of $$$$ for single occupancy, and I want to get the most out of the experience.

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

I looked through your postings, but you are a prolific contributor!  I did see you mention that the assistant CD organized some get-togethers and MDR dinners for solo travelers.  Do they automatically do that on every sailing, or would I have to request something special?  The Med itinerary is port-intensive so there's not much chance I'll get lonely or bored.  Then again, it's a whopping amount of $$$$ for single occupancy, and I want to get the most out of the experience.

I have only sailed once on O as a solo, so I'm not the best expert, but I have used the search function to review postings on this topic. Based on that, I'd tentatively say that the are at least a few hosted solo get togethers. A port intensive cruise might have fewer....not sure....

I found my original post briefly describing the solo experience. I never did post more than this, as life caught up with me!!

I'd be happy to answer any questions...

I'm back from solo cruising on Riviera 17NOV Rome to Miami TA. I’m slammed w lotsa stuff going on right now, but before I get a chance to post more broadly about my solo experience on Riviera I wanted to let you know that O does a GREAT JOB taking care of solos! We had an associate cruise director, Cristina Hill, who hosted our Solo Traveler get togethers. The first one was early in the cruise and she hosted us 4 or 5 times throughout the cruise. We’d get together in Baristas at 6:30 and talk (open bar, but limited to barista’s limited alcohol). Cristina would organize our GDR table(s) for 7:15 and most would stay w the group to eat dinner together. Two bottles of wine were provided for each table. We had a group of about 15 each night, and the group would meet up at other times as well. I met some really nice people! I’m really appreciative of the solo experience provided by O and by Cristina!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

Then again, it's a whopping amount of $$$$ for single occupancy, and I want to get the most out of the experience.

BTW, The last time I looked there are currently eight itineraries that are listed with a reduced single supplement. You can search cruises using the special offers button on the left-hand side. Scroll down to the bottom to select the reduced single supplement.
I think the website is not very good about identifying the cost to travel solo with a reduced single supplement. Probably have to work with your TA or call O directly. 

Usually they have several solo dinners  

We  have seen several tables hosted  for the solo cruisers in the GDR on our cruises

We have also dined with solos  & they said they were invited to dinner by some staff members like concierge  etc..

Also join your roll call  where you may meet other solos  to meet up with onboard

join tours etc

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

BTW, The last time I looked there are currently eight itineraries that are listed with a reduced single supplement. You can search cruises using the special offers button on the left-hand side. Scroll down to the bottom to select the reduced single supplement.
I think the website is not very good about identifying the cost to travel solo with a reduced single supplement. Probably have to work with your TA or call O directly. 

Actually I didn’t describe the process v well. Here’s a snapshot

image.thumb.jpeg.e45d612bbcd36d6c1057ddd40e1ce80e.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Thanks, Ph.D, I saw those handful of cruises but I’m interested in fall sailings, of which none are listed. 

6 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Thanks, Ph.D, I saw those handful of cruises but I’m interested in fall sailings, of which none are listed. 

Between you and me, I just booked a 2024 19-day South America cruise on O’s sister cruiseline, Regent. 25% single supplement. Couldn’t pass it up. Regent is more expensive but is all-inclusive, including biz class air. With the low single supplement, per diem prices on Regent compare favorably to paying double on O, especially when factoring in the other costs (tips, excursions, alcohol, biz class air).

There were many more itins w reduced single supplement available on Regent, even 2 years out!

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit

15 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Between you and me, I just booked a 2024 19-day South America cruise on O’s sister cruiseline, Regent. 25% single supplement. Couldn’t pass it up. Regent is more expensive but is all-inclusive, including biz class air. With the low single supplement, per diem prices on Regent compare favorably to paying double on O, especially when factoring in the other costs (tips, excursions, alcohol, biz class air).

There were many more itins w reduced single supplement available on Regent, even 2 years out!

Thanks, Diva, this is great info to keep in my back pocket for the future.  This year, I need to use up my O FCCs but clearly, they need to up their game for single travelers.  My husband, who is older than me, is less and less inclined to travel internationally, and my aim is to travel until I can no longer walk!!

4 hours ago, zoncom said:

Look up Os web site- special offers.  Lists 7 singles offers( usuallly many more.) But those offered are on either Marina or Riviera.

Thanks, I did take a look.  None of them match my interest so I've waitlisted a cabin on the itinerary I had my eye on.  Maybe in the future I'll find something with a low single supplement.  That, or I'll have to convince my husband to get with the program!! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 5:02 PM, PhD-iva said:

I have only sailed once on O as a solo, so I'm not the best expert, but I have used the search function to review postings on this topic. Based on that, I'd tentatively say that the are at least a few hosted solo get togethers. A port intensive cruise might have fewer....not sure....

I found my original post briefly describing the solo experience. I never did post more than this, as life caught up with me!!

I'd be happy to answer any questions...

I'm back from solo cruising on Riviera 17NOV Rome to Miami TA. I’m slammed w lotsa stuff going on right now, but before I get a chance to post more broadly about my solo experience on Riviera I wanted to let you know that O does a GREAT JOB taking care of solos! We had an associate cruise director, Cristina Hill, who hosted our Solo Traveler get togethers. The first one was early in the cruise and she hosted us 4 or 5 times throughout the cruise. We’d get together in Baristas at 6:30 and talk (open bar, but limited to barista’s limited alcohol). Cristina would organize our GDR table(s) for 7:15 and most would stay w the group to eat dinner together. Two bottles of wine were provided for each table. We had a group of about 15 each night, and the group would meet up at other times as well. I met some really nice people! I’m really appreciative of the solo experience provided by O and by Cristina!

Thank you for posting this.   I lost my husband in November and am thinking about a cruise in February 2023, my first solo.   This is great information.    Now if I could only get past leaving my puppy (with my niece, not even boarding).  She's my baby!

• Like 1