Grand Turk ....Whale Watching pictures...March 3, 2022

clginal

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Lucky! Seeing breeches isn't that common on whale watching expeditions. That's awesome.  

Was just in Grand Turk the other week and didn't do the excursion because that's what I thought. But I was just there I think the day after OP! Next time for sure!

• Like 1

Just now, mz-s said:

Was just in Grand Turk the other week and didn't do the excursion because that's what I thought. But I was just there I think the day after OP! Next time for sure!

We've only done 2 Whale Watching excursions, ever........this 1 & another in Juno, Alaska about 7 years ago.  We knew it is hit or miss & I hate paying the price knowing we may not see any.  We did get lucky both times.  The time in Alaska, we probably saw 20 whales......and a mom/baby was the hit.  

Personally, I like seeing the tails......and I did get a Mom/Baby tail picture in Alaska, too!!!  I will be framing those for my wall!!

• Like 1

Just now, clginal said:

We've only done 2 Whale Watching excursions, ever........this 1 & another in Juno, Alaska about 7 years ago.  We knew it is hit or miss & I hate paying the price knowing we may not see any.  We did get lucky both times.  The time in Alaska, we probably saw 20 whales......and a mom/baby was the hit.  

Personally, I like seeing the tails......and I did get a Mom/Baby tail picture in Alaska, too!!!  I will be framing those for my wall!!

Wife and I are planning an Alaska cruise for 2024 tentatively, Whale Watching is absolutely an excursion we will do. We just didn't expect to see it at Grand Turk and were skeptical. Your post has proven me wrong! 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, mz-s said:

Wife and I are planning an Alaska cruise for 2024 tentatively, Whale Watching is absolutely an excursion we will do. We just didn't expect to see it at Grand Turk and were skeptical. Your post has proven me wrong! 🙂

I know what you mean......you just never know. 

Also, Carnival actually showed it was sold out before the cruise.  Then the day we boarded the ship, I was looking to see what we could do & it had 4 openings.  We grabbed 2 before thinking about it.  But, then they announced, the day of, there were 30 spots open......kind of worried me.  I didn't want a big boat packed.  But, it was fine...they were a good crew!!

The one we did in Alaska, we did not book through the cruise ship.  I normally do when out of the country (like this one).  But, in Alaska, I felt safe enough if we missed the boat...LOL.  So, that one, was a smaller chartered boat with only 6 of us on there.  It was wonderful!!!  The crew catered to us & took us around to do a little Eagle watching, too!!

Hope you have good luck in Alaska, too!!!  Grand Turk one was nice but, Alaska topped this one, for sure!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clginal said:

I know what you mean......you just never know. 

Also, Carnival actually showed it was sold out before the cruise.  Then the day we boarded the ship, I was looking to see what we could do & it had 4 openings.  We grabbed 2 before thinking about it.  But, then they announced, the day of, there were 30 spots open......kind of worried me.  I didn't want a big boat packed.  But, it was fine...they were a good crew!!

The one we did in Alaska, we did not book through the cruise ship.  I normally do when out of the country (like this one).  But, in Alaska, I felt safe enough if we missed the boat...LOL.  So, that one, was a smaller chartered boat with only 6 of us on there.  It was wonderful!!!  The crew catered to us & took us around to do a little Eagle watching, too!!

Hope you have good luck in Alaska, too!!!  Grand Turk one was nice but, Alaska topped this one, for sure!!!

Did you use Harv and Marv in Alaska? 

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Darn, I thought it was sold out.  It looks that they were breeching in view of the ships.

yes...but, we were a good ways out.  That's why the ship is blurred in the picture.  I guess you could see with binoculars but, it would have been tough.  I was surprised we could see the ships.  Glad to get it in a picture.  

It kept saying Sold Out before the cruise...I was shocked when I saw an opening.  

• Like 1

Just now, clginal said:

yes...but, we were a good ways out.  That's why the ship is blurred in the picture.  I guess you could see with binoculars but, it would have been tough.  I was surprised we could see the ships.  Glad to get it in a picture.  

It kept saying Sold Out before the cruise...I was shocked when I saw an opening.  

let me post the original picture........the one I put on here looks closer than it was.

original with ship.jpg

• Like 1

You most certainly got lucky.

I did the whale watching excursion in Grand Turck in February of 2020 and saw NOTHING, just bobbed around in the ocean for a few hours while a couple of people on our boat got seasick.  To add insult to injury the excursion operator played recorded whale sounds and claimed it was from a hydrophone.

I was pretty ticked about the entire thing.  This excursion is definitely a crap shoot.

Edited by groundloop

These are awesome!  Thanks so much for sharing!  Hubby and I were there in early Feb and booked that excursion but it was canceled due to rough water.  I’m jealous!  Lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BUNNYGIRL1955 said:

This looks awesome!  We're going on John Healds FFS Cruise next month, and have booked the whale watching excursion.  I hope we get as lucky as you were. 

fingers crossed for you!!!  let us know how it goes

9 hours ago, groundloop said:

You most certainly got lucky.

I did the whale watching excursion in Grand Turck in February of 2020 and saw NOTHING, just bobbed around in the ocean for a few hours while a couple of people on our boat got seasick.  To add insult to injury the excursion operator played recorded whale sounds and claimed it was from a hydrophone.

I was pretty ticked about the entire thing.  This excursion is definitely a crap shoot.

dang, I'm so sorry....yes, it is a crap shoot & not cheap for it to turn out like that, either.  

7 hours ago, mlshum said:

These are awesome!  Thanks so much for sharing!  Hubby and I were there in early Feb and booked that excursion but it was canceled due to rough water.  I’m jealous!  Lol

sorry yours was canceled but, would rather that happen then rough waters & no sightings.