CRUISE NEWS CDC Lowers Cruise Ship Travel Warning To Level 2

caribill

Maybe CDC will eliminate their recommendation for pre-cruise testing when they downgrade cruising to level 1. 🤞🤞

Level 2 means that, based on statistics, the CDC has seen 50 to 99 COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents in the past 28 days. For cruises, it means that there has been a major decrease in onboard cases among guests and crew for ships operating in the United States.

At Level 2, the CDC advises that everyone is up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines. Those who are not or are at an increased risk for severe illness should avoid cruising.

For the CDC to lower the cruise travel health risk down to a Level 1, ships must have fewer than 50 new cases per 100,000 people over the past 28 days.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

At Level 2, the CDC advises that everyone is up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines. Those who are not or are at an increased risk for severe illness should avoid cruising.

The agency also recommends cruisers wear a mask indoors and in crowded outdoor settings. 

And the CDC's list of those who are at an increased risk for severe illness is at

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

7 hours ago, caribill said:

The agency also recommends cruisers wear a mask indoors and in crowded outdoor settings. 

And the CDC's list of those who are at an increased risk for severe illness is at

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

From the way I read it, which is probably the same way you read it regarding Level 2 guidance, the CDC is now “officially” only recommending wearing a mask indoors or in crowded outdoor settings for those at a high risk of severe illness. However, it doesn’t mean others shouldn’t if they want to,

If you or your family member are at high risk for severe illness, wear a mask or respirator with greater protection in public indoor spaces if you are in an area with a high COVID-19 Community Level. Talk with your healthcare provider about wearing a mask in a medium COVID-19 Community Level.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

From the way I read it, which is probably the same way you read it regarding Level 2 guidance, the CDC is now “officially” only recommending wearing a mask indoors or in crowded outdoor settings for those at a high risk of severe illness. However, it doesn’t mean others shouldn’t if they want to,

Not a cruise ship, but I recently went to an indoor symphony performance where masks went from "mandatory" to "strongly recommended."  Looking at 33 people who passed by in a hallway, i saw 21 of them (64%) were not wearing masks. As this was the first week that masks were not mandatory, I suspect many did not know that and the 36% that wore masks would have been less if all had known about the change.

I would expect that at least 64% of cruise ship passengers would also not wear a mask indoors now that it is not mandatory. I also expect that the number of cases of Covid on cruise ships (including cases not detected until off the ship) will rise.

Not a cruise ship also, but yesterday on a 2 hour plane trip - mandatory masks still

the night before, at a hockey arena - about 3 hours - very few masks for the fans in the stands

we had no problem with either situation - double vaxed and boosted ...

49 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you or your family member are at high risk for severe illness, wear a mask or respirator with greater protection in public indoor spaces if you are in an area with a high COVID-19 Community Level. Talk with your healthcare provider about wearing a mask in a medium COVID-19 Community Level.

Hopefully the cruise lines will be successful in keeping their ships Covid free with the loosening of protocols but what is happening in Europe right now is cases are starting to increase at a substantial rate again since most restrictions have been loosened.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-cases-rising-uk-what-to-expect-us-rcna19891