Car rental Juneau

jsscuba2

I looked into this on a different thread.  I was told to try Avis Alaska.  The least expensive car I found was $252 for the day, and we decided against it.  I looked for the thread and didn't find it, which has me questioning my sanity!  The title must not have been specific.  I just found the info in my Mendenhall Glacier thread.

We want to spend a good amount of time at Mendenhall Glacier since we didn't go the last AK cruise, and we're happy to be taking the $45 RT bus.  The pick up schedule is fluid, allowing us to spend as much time as we wish there.

Edited by GloriaF
  • Thanks 1

We have rented a car several times in Juneau and plan to do so again on our upcoming cruise in May. The only rental agency in town these last few years has been Juneau Car Rentals, but unfortunately they currently limited to their airport location. But they are offering shuttle service from the dock. We are renting a van on our May cruise - $149 for the day. We enjoy having our own wheels to get outside of town to visit places like Eagle Beach, Treadwell Mine, to name a couple. There’s a lot more to the Juneau area then just the small downtown. A car lets you see it. 

• Like 3

Have used Juneau Car Rentals numerous times.  Great customer service.  We loved the ability to be able to visit/tour on our own.  Be sure to get to Mendenhall Glacier before the cruise line buses show up—much more enjoyable.  We also like to picnic at Eagle State Park.  

The vehicles are a little bit older and more gently worn than a traditional rental car.  Just adds to the charm of the experience!

• Like 2

We rented from Avis Alaska in 2019. We got to Mendenhall Glacier before the excursion crowds. We had a decent fish and chips at a little hole-in-the-wall out that way. We went to the Shrine of Sainte Terese, Eagle Beach and Echo Cove north of town. We went over to Douglas Island, where there were great views of Mendenhall Glacier from across the sound and the cruise ships in Juneau. We went to Savikko Beach, where there are ruins of  an old gold mine. We stopped at the Whale Sculpture and visited the state capitol area. It was a nice day.

We encountered a group of marmots at Sainte Terese, which was an unusual sight. Marmots normally live up in the mountains, but some have moved down to sea level. Scientists are studying them, trying to find out why they have come down from the mountain.

• Like 2

I've done it once where I took the public bus up to the airport and rented from the airport.  At the end of the day dropped the car off back there and bussed back to town.  Does chew up a fair amount of time doing that, but depending on what times you're in, you can still have enough time that it's not an issue.  I think on that day we were able to hit most of the sites we wanted to, including mendenhall, and also taking the road as far out of town as you can.  As I recall it was also significantly cheaper to do that than to try renting anywhere right down near the cruise piers.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear of van rental from Juneau Car Rental for $149.  That is a great price, especially considering just the bus for two to Mendenhall Glacier will cost $90.  Thanks for the info!  Looking into it!

On 3/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, karatemom2 said:

We have rented a car several times in Juneau and plan to do so again on our upcoming cruise in May. The only rental agency in town these last few years has been Juneau Car Rentals, but unfortunately they currently limited to their airport location. But they are offering shuttle service from the dock. We are renting a van on our May cruise - $149 for the day. We enjoy having our own wheels to get outside of town to visit places like Eagle Beach, Treadwell Mine, to name a couple. There’s a lot more to the Juneau area then just the small downtown. A car lets you see it. 

Where are you renting the van from?  We will be there in June.

We have rented from Avis in the past but they are closed.  We are renting from Juneau Car Rental and they say they are running their shuttle every two hours, I hope it is more often though.  If it isn't available when we get off the ship, we plan on taking a taxi to the airport to get the car and will take a taxi when we return the car if necessary.  We like the flexibility to stay at Mendenhall as long as we want and will visit other areas depending on how much time we have.  If you are planning on booking, do it now.  When we booked a couple of months ago, smaller cars were already sold out and they said they had very few cars available the day we are there.  I do know there are four ships there when we are there in May.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, karatemom2 said:

Hello KarateMom2,

We are also coming into the Juneau port on May 18 (our first time). This is very helpful !

If anyone wants to share a car/van rental, please let me know !

1 hour ago, SSM-SRG said:

Hello KarateMom2,

We are also coming into the Juneau port on May 18 (our first time). This is very helpful !

If anyone wants to share a car/van rental, please let me know !

Post on the rollcall for your sailing.  You might find someone there that wants to share.