2024 Panama Canal Cruise Options

iluvthe-c

Does anyone know if I am jumping the gun booking a January, February, or March 2024 Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity, NCL, Princess, or RCCL?  If I use a 3rd party TA site to search those 3 months this far out I get 10 results.  If I look at the same months for 2023 I get 30 results.  

A couple of the options for 2024 are OK, but the options are definitely limited.  I am not finding my ideal itinerary, size of ship, amenities, # of days, and departure port all wrapped into one.  Maybe I'm being too selective.

Any insight on when lines post new cruises?  Is there specific release timelines they follow?

I think you answered your own question. It might be a bit early. Every cruise line has its own schedule on releasing their schedules, but would expect most schedules for that time frame to be complete in the next month or two. Out of curiosity, did you see scheduled cruises from all 4 lines, or was there one or more lines with no Canal cruises scheduled?

What are your specifics on what you want?

Any reason your are limited to this cruise lines? Prior to Covid, Holland America was probably doing the most Canal cruises.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response.

Of the 10 findings (of the 4 lines (NCL, Princess, RCCL, Celebrity)) 2 were Celebrity and 7 were NCL.   So yes, more from one particular line.  

What I want:  A ship small enough to go through the old locks and a sail date of Jan or Feb 2024.  Partial transit is OK, but I, unlike my husband, prefer 14 or 15 nights rather than 7 or 8.  So full or partial  is still undecided

I'm curious since there were the 2 itineraries listed for Celebrity, if they add additional ships to the PC line up.

I've never sailed HAL, but hear good things.  I need to expand my search criteria to encompass that line as well.  

Will be checking back in the next 60 days for additional options.

50 minutes ago, iluvthe-c said:

Thanks for the quick response.

Of the 10 findings (of the 4 lines (NCL, Princess, RCCL, Celebrity)) 2 were Celebrity and 7 were NCL.   So yes, more from one particular line.  That would tell me RCCL and, particularly Princess, which does a fair number of Canal voyages, haven't released their schedules yet.

What I want:  A ship small enough to go through the old locks and a sail date of Jan or Feb 2024.  Partial transit is OK, but I, unlike my husband, prefer 14 or 15 nights rather than 7 or 8.  So full or partial  is still undecided Probably 95% of cruise ships go through the old locks...normally. There may be some surprises, but its not hard to find ships using the old locks. If you preferred the new locks, that is probably the harder find.  I don't anybody who does a partial in 7 or 8 days...10 is more common, but there may be some. Plan on no less than 14 for a full transit...but again, someone may surprise you. Our first full transit was a 10 day...San Juan to Acapulco, but I haven't seen that replicated.

I'm curious since there were the 2 itineraries listed for Celebrity, if they add additional ships to the PC line up.

I've never sailed HAL, but hear good things.  I need to expand my search criteria to encompass that line as well.  All HAL ships will go through the old locks.

Will be checking back in the next 60 days for additional options.

See comments above in red.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I said I was going to wait a couple months to decide but I'm ready to book now.  

Two sailings have made the Short List:

NCL Gem partial transit 2/5/2024 11 night Miami r/t

NCL Joy full transit 1/2/2024 15 night LA, CA/Miami

The reason I am booking now is because I don't think I will see comparable prices like this again for Jan or Feb 2024 sailings on NCL or any other line.

The all-inclusive perks with the free air for the 2nd person is too good to pass up at this time.  The quote for air roundtrip from Denver is $200 for both of us.  

Just torn between the 2.  Gem will go through old locks, Joy will go through new.  If it was the other way around it would be an easy decision.

My complimentary hold expires tomorrow.  Leaning toward the Joy full transit through new locks and taking an excursion on a ferry through the old locks.  This is an option, correct?

19 minutes ago, iluvthe-c said:

My complimentary hold expires tomorrow.  Leaning toward the Joy full transit through new locks and taking an excursion on a ferry through the old locks.  This is an option, correct?

It should be an option.  The only reason it would not be an option would be if for some reason the partial transit through the original locks and the Cut was unavailable and therefore not offered.  It looks to me the Joy will be calling at Ft. Amador for the Panama stop so that could actually simplifies the logistics for the partial transit excursion.  Depending on where the excursion vessel is positioned you may depart on the tour directly from Ft. Amador.  While I would prefer a full transit through the original locks as my first choice for my initial transit, I would also pick a full transit using the new locks over just a partial transit using the original locks.  The route through the Canal is essentially the same, you will see the exact same sights, passing under the same bridges, same route through the Cut and across Gatun Lake using the same channel.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2022 at 1:48 PM, iluvthe-c said:

I know I said I was going to wait a couple months to decide but I'm ready to book now.  

Two sailings have made the Short List:

NCL Gem partial transit 2/5/2024 11 night Miami r/t

NCL Joy full transit 1/2/2024 15 night LA, CA/Miami

The reason I am booking now is because I don't think I will see comparable prices like this again for Jan or Feb 2024 sailings on NCL or any other line.

The all-inclusive perks with the free air for the 2nd person is too good to pass up at this time.  The quote for air roundtrip from Denver is $200 for both of us.  

Just torn between the 2.  Gem will go through old locks, Joy will go through new.  If it was the other way around it would be an easy decision.

Where did you find the air quote? I was looking at NCL for this same itinerary but nothing came up regarding the airfare. I have only ever cruised with Royal unless I can verify what/ if anything I would save with the 2 for 1 on airfare, I can't really see if I am saving anything by going with the higher cruise rate on NCL. Thank you

17 hours ago, PugM0m said:

Where did you find the air quote? I was looking at NCL for this same itinerary but nothing came up regarding the airfare. I have only ever cruised with Royal unless I can verify what/ if anything I would save with the 2 for 1 on airfare, I can't really see if I am saving anything by going with the higher cruise rate on NCL. Thank you

I had to call the travel agents to get the airfare quote.  If you do not want the drink package then I can see RCCL being less expensive.  

I did decide on the Joy full transit and have an inside cabin booked for now.  I hope to upgrade on my own accord or through the upgrade program closer to the sail date.  Very happy with the price I paid.

We just booked Royal Caribbean's  Panama cruise for March 2024.

Unfortunately, we are limited to travelling March Break only , so this was just the right dates for us.

Never been through the canal, and have never been to Costa Rica, also included in this 7 night cruise. Looking forward to the planning! 

Also interesting that you were quoted Airfare, no options yet for us. 

10 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

Also interesting that you were quoted Airfare, no options yet for us. 

I was surprised they were able to lock in a price.  Surely it will cost more than $200 per person to fly from Denver to LA and then Miami to Denver.  With the BOGO airfare offer it was such a great deal.

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2022 at 4:45 PM, CruiserBruce said:

I think you answered your own question. It might be a bit early. Every cruise line has its own schedule on releasing their schedules, but would expect most schedules for that time frame to be complete in the next month or two. Out of curiosity, did you see scheduled cruises from all 4 lines, or was there one or more lines with no Canal cruises scheduled?

What are your specifics on what you want?

Any reason your are limited to this cruise lines? Prior to Covid, Holland America was probably doing the most Canal cruises.

I'm booked on Holland America In October of next year for the Panama canal. I'm looking forward to it