Escape damaged, cruise cancelled, passengers being flown home

Javajitterz

On 3/31/2022 at 3:03 PM, MamSam said:

Here are some pictures. Not the best. 

IMG_2134.jpeg

aw that explains why I see nothing out of the ordinary on the PTZ web cam.  I guess the issues is with the left side or at least that is entry to area to fix.

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Even more, what has or will happen in that port again with any other ship.  did that get resolved?

Did what get resolved?  It was a weather induced accident.  The only thing that would "get resolved" would be whether NCL or the port would change the environmental parameters for docking/undocking.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I guess the issues is with the left side or at least that is entry to area to fix.

Typically, the side under repair would be away from the pier, so that divers can have access for piping plugs, etc.

OK gonna finally chime in here

first: "Typically, the side under repair would be away from the pier, so that divers can have access for piping plugs, etc."

HUH? Ain't been my experience ... commercial divers want their hose runs as short as possible AND if you need to hoist some steel over the side for a patch isn't that easier if the 'hole' is pier side and you can use cranes from the pier? But actually see none of this here ....

My questions .......

NCL has an incident and says it is MINOR but decides to unload all PAX ...... 'similar' incidents have seen the ship return to US under one shaft because of loss of ..... other times a BIG hole was patched while pass' stayed on board ....  image.png.7f675b566512c3376ceaad5603038303.png

I'm military by sea background and our 'damage control' training is, I suspect, a wee bit more aggressive. And I agree a hole that can be addressed by 'lifting the ship out of the water' or iow de-ballast, pump off fuel etc - don't see that happening here ...... watching the ship on port web cams I don't see any introduced list or significant change in draft .... OR any significant diver activity ... certainly nothing to suggest a coffer dam was built and fitted . . .

I've no idea why they came to Canaveral beyond the fact there ARE repair companies here .... it is CLEAR they did not think they needed a dry dock <or NONE was available> Freeport has a substantial shipyard ......

I'd really like to hear what the REAL damage was . . 

of course I'm also surprised how long the authorities are messing with the ship grounded in the Chesapeake GROUNDED with a pilot aboard!!

26 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Typically, the side under repair would be away from the pier, so that divers can have access for piping plugs, etc.

@chengkp75you have offered some of the best insight so I am interested in your speculative guess. Do you think the ship will need to go out for trials or a shake down before being cleared to return? Any word on if Serenade of the Seas is still in dry dock? I have to wonder if the Escape is just waiting until it leaves to head there for dry dock.

15 minutes ago, CannonG said:

@chengkp75you have offered some of the best insight so I am interested in your speculative guess. Do you think the ship will need to go out for trials or a shake down before being cleared to return? Any word on if Serenade of the Seas is still in dry dock? I have to wonder if the Escape is just waiting until it leaves to head there for dry dock.

Just checked a ship tracking site, it shows Serenade of the Seas is still moored in Freeport.

14 minutes ago, CannonG said:

No, there would not need to be any sea trials.  Serenade is out of the drydock, and alongside a wet berth, just shifted about 3-4 hours ago.  I really don't think they are waiting on the dock.

• Like 1

when all is said and done, me thinks there is a lot not being told and more damage than they thought.

I understood most ships went into Amber Cove and where the Escape went was perhaps newer but I could be mistaken.

For some reason I think other ships could have this happen due to weather.  Something still does not sound right to me.  Hope to hear more and hope Escape makes it to Europe too.

• Like 1

Someone posted in the faces that she received an email from an officer on board.  Officer was a she, if that helps anyone.  This officer claimed the ship will be ready for April 9th cruise.  Hoping it wasn't an April fools joke 🙂

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

when all is said and done, me thinks there is a lot not being told and more damage than they thought.

I understood most ships went into Amber Cove and where the Escape went was perhaps newer but I could be mistaken.

For some reason I think other ships could have this happen due to weather.  Something still does not sound right to me.  Hope to hear more and hope Escape makes it to Europe too.

I think Amber Cove is exclusive to Carnival Corporation ships.

41 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Its owned and operated by Carnival, same as Mahogany Bay on Roatan and Grand Turk.  They also own Puerta Maya in Cozumel. Not sure if they're exclusive to  CCL Corp but their ships are certainly going to be given preference.  It's a business, and sometimes it makes sense to take a competitors money.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

okay interesting.

I know up in Alaska NCL is developing newer docks like in Icy Point and Ketchikan.

Both lines have improved things for themselves.

Surprised there are no new posts after yesterdays cancellation of the April 9th cruise.  I am taking the refund and waiting for my next booking.  I have 19 more booked thru Dec 2024 so no need to rush and change plans, especially when I would have selected the Dawn, and I saw Dawn is sold out of the balcony cabins.  Saw a post that someone with an Escape balcony was put in an OV with no price adjustment.  We had an Aft balcony, would not have liked cruising OV.

A couple other things I have heard, not sure how accurate they are.  Someone posted that an Officer on the Epic said the Escape was badly damaged and will need a Dry Dock in Europe.  I am surprised an Officer would discuss this information.  Yesterday in My TWB You tube stream, an East coast (Hilton Head area) TA said the Escape will not be ready until some time in May.  No details though.  Makes me wonder if NCL is just getting the ship ready for a TransAtlantic crossing to get to Cadiz.

• Like 1

Sorry, I really like NCL - but they've dropped the ball on this one, week after week.

Sure, just throw money at the problem (free replacement cruises, FCC), but that does not "fix" everything. At least they could come out and detail the extent of the damage and explain what's going on to repair it (including factors which are complicating the process). THAT'S the kind of information I'd be looking for if I was impacted by this (and I'm not).

Hmmm... seems like I've said something along these lines almost weekly as another cancellation notification drops, and drops, and...

Tom

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sorry, I really like NCL - but they've dropped the ball on this one, week after week.

Sure, just throw money at the problem (free replacement cruises, FCC), but that does not "fix" everything. At least they could come out and detail the extent of the damage and explain what's going on to repair it (including factors which are complicating the process). THAT'S the kind of information I'd be looking for if I was impacted by this (and I'm not).

Hmmm... seems like I've said something along these lines almost weekly as another cancellation notification drops, and drops, and...

Tom

No one really cares about the damage other than the owners and lien holders. Passengers (99.9% of them) only care if they are able to keep their sailing date. 

19 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

No one really cares about the damage other than the owners and lien holders. Passengers (99.9% of them) only care if they are able to keep their sailing date. 

Great - that makes me a .1 percenter  😄  

Tom

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

>95% of customers don't care about the extent of the damage or repairs...

I am surprised they haven't been more aggressive and cancelling at least three weeks out.

Perhaps they actually thought it would only take a week or two to repair.

Perhaps they were wishing it would only take a week or two to repair.

Perhaps they're just taking the Freestyle thing to heart...  🙂

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RVACruiser43 said:

I am with you, like to know what's going on.  

Tom

Me too. I want to know. I liked Escape and hope that it is repaired soon, and is in "new" condition when they are finished. I especially would like to know if I was going to take a trans-Atlantic trip. Wouldn't want to be stranded in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. I was never nervous cruising until my second trip, when the captain announced how deep the water was. It hasn't stopped me though 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Battleship88 said:

i think they had a coats guard inspection today - not sure if that means anything

It could be a survey of the repairs, or it could be a random Port State Control inspection since the ship is sitting idle.

On 4/1/2022 at 5:32 PM, Capt_BJ said:

My questions .......

NCL has an incident and says it is MINOR but decides to unload all PAX ...... 'similar' incidents have seen the ship return to US under one shaft because of loss of ..... other times a BIG hole was patched while pass' stayed on board ....  image.png.7f675b566512c3376ceaad5603038303.png

I'd really like to hear what the REAL damage was . . 

Agree

Yikes that doesn’t look minor to me. 

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It could be a survey of the repairs, or it could be a random Port State Control inspection since the ship is sitting idle.

Any credibility of a post someone said the inspection is to certify the ship for an “Empty” Atlantic crossing.  It will still need to go to a dry dock in Europe.  I am beginning to believe the stories that the ship was damaged much worse than NCL has let on.  Maybe the June cruises will be good to go, doubt that we will see May.