Ultimate Iceland Extension

PBodek

Hello!

We're scheduled for "Ultimate Iceland" a 5 day pre-cruise extension in June. While the extension does include many excursions there are parts of days where we are on our own for exploring and dining.  We are staying at the Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel.  We're on our own the whole first day.  Any recommendations for sightseeing and dining within walking distance of the hotel?  On day three we travel to Snaefellsnes and are staying at the Fransiskus Hotel.  Sights and dining there?  Thanks so much for any input.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can also post your inquiry on the Ports of Call  forums found mon main page. Look for Iceland and there you will find folks who have been tot he places you mention. 

I am sure you will have some  suggestion from Viking cruisers here.

Enjoy our  pre cruise  extension and then you wonderful cruise.  I am envious .😊 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PBodek said:

Hello!

We're scheduled for "Ultimate Iceland" a 5 day pre-cruise extension in June. While the extension does include many excursions there are parts of days where we are on our own for exploring and dining.  We are staying at the Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel.  We're on our own the whole first day.  Any recommendations for sightseeing and dining within walking distance of the hotel?  On day three we travel to Snaefellsnes and are staying at the Fransiskus Hotel.  Sights and dining there?  Thanks so much for any input.

Here is a link to a previous post for a few ideas for Reykjavik ..

• Like 1

Reykjavik is a very walkable city with lots to see. One of our favorite places we visited was The Settlement Museum (Aðalstræti 16). It’s an archeological site featuring the remains of a Viking settlement. It’s a short walk from your hotel. The cathedral, Hallgrimskirkja, is also worth a visit. The view from the top is interesting. Enjoy your visit!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ryan208 said:

Reykjavik is a very walkable city with lots to see. One of our favorite places we visited was The Settlement Museum (Aðalstræti 16). It’s an archeological site featuring the remains of a Viking settlement. It’s a short walk from your hotel. The cathedral, Hallgrimskirkja, is also worth a visit. The view from the top is interesting. Enjoy your visit!

We like the National Museum of Iceland (beautifully done history museum) and have spent hours there looking at the exhibits.

• Like 1

Hallgrimskirkja is a must see.  Also the statue of Leif Eriksson which was given to the people of Iceland by the U.S. government.  As a side note, the plaque on the statue ( in true American style ) misspelled Eriksson. (Ericsson).  Also make sure you eat the national favorite food, pylsur. The Icelandic hotdog with all fixins.

• Like 2

I agree with all the suggestions so far, and you will really enjoy Reykjavik when you go there.  For something totally different the OMNOM chocolate factory tour was truly amazing. Learned a lot about chocolate and had 20+ different batches to sample and learn the differences between them.  Also, the hop on hop off bus was a great way to see a lot of the city in a short time.  

• Like 1

For a great bowl of soup in a bread bowl go to Icelandic  on the main street .  It is awesome and very yummy.  Came recommended on Cruise Critic and didn't fail. Another idea is go to Trip Advisor and look for top 10 things to do in Reykjavik.  Go and walk through the church at the top of the hill. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rljan said:

Hallgrimskirkja is a must see.  Also the statue of Leif Eriksson which was given to the people of Iceland by the U.S. government.  As a side note, the plaque on the statue ( in true American style ) misspelled Eriksson. (Ericsson).  Also make sure you eat the national favorite food, pylsur. The Icelandic hotdog with all fixins.

Agree on Hallgrimskirkja. Just watch out for variations on opening hours that can happen on certain days and with certain services. Here is a link to information on access to the tower.

https://www.hallgrimskirkja.is/is/um-kirkjuna/opnunartimar-og-turn

Also nearby is Cafe Loki - we had good eats there one lunchtime.

https://loki.is/

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 9:29 AM, PBodek said:

Hello!

You also asked for some dining ideas close to your hotel in Reykjavik. From my own favorites experience, there is:

Grillmarkaðurinn

https://www.grillmarkadurinn.is/

Messinn

https://messinn.com/

On our next time in Reykjavik (mid-July 2022) we are definitely aiming for 

Grillmarkaðurinn and Messinn again, and I want to try Matarkjallarinn (see below).

Fjallkonan

https://fjallkona.is/?lang=en

Two places that were also recommended to us, but I can't personally review for:

Fiskmarkaðurinn

https://www.fiskmarkadurinn.is/

I believe the same ownership as Grillmarkaðurinn

Matarkjallarinn

https://matarkjallarinn.is/

We tried as a walk-up here one time in the Fall - no luck. I think you really need to reserve in advance for all these places in the Summer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gojagators said:

I second @SailorPaulH suggestion of Cafe Loki.  In addition to a good lunch be sure to try the Rye Bread Ice Cream.  It's worth every calorie and truly unique!

We did dinner there after our full day tour to the Snaefells peninsula (loved it); definitely worth a few days. I think we both had the lamb shank. Can't remember if we tried the rye bread ice cream.

Alas, we never made it to the hotdog stand. ☹️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 7:29 AM, PBodek said:

Hello!

We stayed at the konsulat last summer. Great hotel. We listed restaurants here with links so you can see menus and make reservations. I highly recommend the sky lagoon - easy taxi. https://www.luxurytraveldocs.com/2021/08/convenient-and-comfortable-oasis-in.html

• Like 1