Madrid hotels, train, airport questions

BearClaws

After disembarking upcoming Regent cruise, we are traveling by bullet train to Madrid to catch a flight back to USA.  Would appreciate advice on upscale hotel with best location to spend the night and then transfer to airport the next morning.  Also, any tips and comments about airport itself, shuttles or taxis for party of 6, and AA terminal.

All of you frequent travelers and cruisers are such a wonderful resource for those of us new to Regent.  Many thanks in advance.

Would recommend the recently opened Four Seasons hotel which is near Atocha railway station. Transfers to Barajas airport will be easy to arrange. The airport is a large modern efficient airport with plenty of lounge options. Madrid is a lovely city, well worth a few days.

We are doing the same thing and have booked the Hotel Urso. The shipboard Covid test for our return to the US would be too early, so the hotel has arranged a test for us after we arrive in the afternoon train. 

The airport is modern, but huge. If you haven’t been there before allow extra time for walking and at least when I was there in 2019, added security for US flights.

• Like 1

Really depends on what you want to in Madrid.

If just want to crash and head to the airport in the morning -- then I would stay near the airport and take a shuttle.  I usually stay at the Marriott Auditorium which is a 10 minute shuttle.

In city -- yes the 4 Seasons is excellent but $$$$..

Have you been before in Madrid? Such a great city with so much to see!

I usually stay at the Westin Palace, or at the boutique hotel Catalonia Las Cortes, both in the area of Museo Del Prado 

Regarding airport, it’s about 20 minutes from the city center, taxis charge 30 euros flat rate. For a group of 6 you’ll need your hotel to arrange for a van, or take 2 or 3 cabs , depending on the amount of luggage you have

The COVID test can be arranged for in the airport. I suggest making an appointment 

https://flycovidtestcenter.com/en/about-us/

Edited by cruiseluv

7 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We stayed at the Villa Magna, fantastic hotel.  Agree Madrid is a great city.

We took a taxi to the airport, close and very easy.

The airport isn't the greatest.

Depend what terminal you fly from. Terminal 4, which is used by Iberia and American Airlines, is beautiful and very modern

12 hours ago, fluckey said:

I always stayed at the Villa Magna on business.  Very nice, but also $$$$.  Now, as a pensioner, I prefer the Palace.

Quoting another wise CC contributor "Fly first class or your children will"  

More seriously we last stayed there 5-6 years ago.  Looks like the rates have gone up considerably, I don't remember them being with Rosewood in those days.  It is a beautiful hotel but I do remember 2 Gin & Tonics costing $50, our AMEX $100 credit got us 4 G&T. 

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions and responses.  All of the recommended hotels have excellent ratings. 

We are now trying to decide whether to stay closer to the train station or near the airport.  At most we will have only a few hours to explore, realizing that transport for a party of 6 will be a challenge.  And, as someone reminded me, we will all need to be tested before boarding our flight home.

• Like 1