Cruising Alaska Vancouver; flying to Seattle

NCTribeFan

I have an email out to my PCC, but since it's taking him about 2 days (during the week) to respond, I've probably missed my window to hear back from him today.  And I'd really, really like to get my travel arrangements taken care of today.

I sail from Vancouver on 6/1.  I'm on a B2B.  I started looking at flights several weeks ago but didn't book because I was just unsure of timing and whether I wanted to fly into Vancouver or not.  And testing timing, too, was a concern.  Hopefully not now but I haven't read everything yet about Canadian requirements and whether they're dropped for sure or not.  Of course, several of the flights I was looking at have doubled in price.  Some are no longer available at all.  Sigh.

Tentative plans are that I'll fly to Seattle on 5/31.  If I book the SeaTak Hilton through HAL, it seems as though they cover both the transportation from the airport to the hotel that day (not a big deal) but also the long trip from Seattle to Vancouver the next morning to board (this is a big deal).  Is this correct?

I had planned on flying home from Seattle, too, but am now thinking I'll just bite the bullet and fly from Vancouver, despite the cost.  By the time I figure out how to get back to Seattle, and pay for that, I'd have to either stay overnight there or take a redeye home, and I don't really want to do that.

Does this sound reasonable?  Is my interpretation about what's included in the hotel stay correct?  Thanks!!

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

I have an email out to my PCC, but since it's taking him about 2 days (during the week) to respond, I've probably missed my window to hear back from him today.  And I'd really, really like to get my travel arrangements taken care of today.

I sail from Vancouver on 6/1.  I'm on a B2B.  I started looking at flights several weeks ago but didn't book because I was just unsure of timing and whether I wanted to fly into Vancouver or not.  And testing timing, too, was a concern.  Hopefully not now but I haven't read everything yet about Canadian requirements and whether they're dropped for sure or not.  Of course, several of the flights I was looking at have doubled in price.  Some are no longer available at all.  Sigh.

Tentative plans are that I'll fly to Seattle on 5/31.  If I book the SeaTak Hilton through HAL, it seems as though they cover both the transportation from the airport to the hotel that day (not a big deal) but also the long trip from Seattle to Vancouver the next morning to board (this is a big deal).  Is this correct?

I had planned on flying home from Seattle, too, but am now thinking I'll just bite the bullet and fly from Vancouver, despite the cost.  By the time I figure out how to get back to Seattle, and pay for that, I'd have to either stay overnight there or take a redeye home, and I don't really want to do that.

Does this sound reasonable?  Is my interpretation about what's included in the hotel stay correct?  Thanks!!

My Coles (Cliff's) Notes interpretation of the fluid, recently revised guidances (source links provided below):

As of April 1, 2022 - fully vaccinated travellers do not have to test coming into Canada.

However!  you still need to test prior to embarkation on a Cruise ship.

Cruise Ship Requirements:

Testing to embark a cruise ship in Canada:  no change; testing required
Testing to disembark a cruise ship in Canada:  revised - no longer required as of April 1, 2022.
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

Pre-entry requirements to enter Canada (plane / bus / train / car, etc) - As of April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers are no longer required to test.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 1

Thanks.  That's helpful.  Of course, even this could change in 2-1/2 months.

Hoping someone can chime in on how the hotel/port transportation works.  I could try calling, I guess.  Or I could go ahead and book the hotel and if the transportation isn't what I think it will be, I'll take it from there. 

The drive from Seattle to Canada Place is only 3 hours. Would be an easy drive the morning of the cruise. 

No test is required to enter Canada if you are fully vaccinated but to leave out of Canada on a cruise you need to take a test 1 day in advance. 

I'm boosted.

Think I'll go ahead and book the hotel.  Just checking air and everything is up since I checked a couple of days ago.  Oh well.  This is why I'm still working and not retired.  Gotta pay for all this travel (10 cruises in a 12-month period that started last November plus a land vaca in May).

It's only money, right?  Could be worse.  Could still be in lockdown and unable to travel at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We booked our own travel to Seattle because I had AA frequent flyer points.  We booked the bus from Seatac to Vancouver and it picked us up on the ground floor a  little ways from baggage claim.  I recall that announcements weren't made and we went to the desk/office near the doors to the buses to figure out which was ours.  It went smoothly and we were dropped off at several locations in downtown Vancouver. 

The only hiccup was customs.  We had to get off the bus and tote our luggage inside and have it x-rayed and our documents inspected.   Then we had to haul it all the way back out to the bus.  It was not a long way but we had a lot of baggage because we were doing a lot of active shore excursions and Denali.  There were no carts.  Other than that it was very easy.   

I booked the hotel.  Got an immediate confirmation from HAL of the purchase.  I'm guessing at some point I'll get a confirmation from the hotel and instructions on how the transport will work.

I wouldn't be obsessing so much about the flights (and the cost) if I didn't have all these other trips planned.  Especially the B2B2B (Med/Med/TA) in October.  Got to book my flight to Rome.  Those, of course, have also increased in the past several weeks.

I "should" be retired but I continued to work when the pandemic hit because I couldn't go anywhere, so why not?  Plus, I got a late start at my career and don't have the retirement funds I should have at this point in life.  The idea was to work part time during busy season.  I can work more hours if I need to.  I just don't want to.  But you do what you gotta do.  If I have to continue working so I can travel, that's what I'll do.  If I have to work even more hours to pay my other bills, I'll do that, too! 😄

5 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I wouldn't be obsessing so much about the flights (and the cost) if I didn't have all these other trips planned.  Especially the B2B2B (Med/Med/TA) in October.  Got to book my flight to Rome.  Those, of course, have also increased in the past several weeks.

I also have a TA booked for this fall and booked my air with HAL's Flight Ease. I have found that the prices fluctuate, sometimes on a daily basis. A couple of weeks ago, I had a little time and decided to check prices and found that the price of my flight came down close to $1,000. (Business class) so I rebooked it with the new fare. This new fare was only a couple of hundred dollars more than Economy. I don't think the price will come down much further but I will keep checking. 

I booked the hotel directly as HAL's prices were high. I booked three nights for less than HAL's price for one night. Yes, I still need to arrange transportation from the airport to the hotel but I will book a car service and I am ok with that.