AMASiena excursion choices

Cissy Travels

Thank you! I enjoyed reading about your trip. I’m sure things are just slightly different now. 😂😷😂😷😜

We are especially interested in the hiking and biking tours that are offered. Hoping someone has taken a recent trip and done some of these excursions and can give us some reviews. 

• Cissy Travels changed the title to AMASiena excursion choices

AMA was an early adopter of bikes on board, and they remain one of the more active-oriented river cruise companies.  Next month we are taking their 7-nt Tulip Time cruise, and there are 5 bike tour options!

The AmaSiena is very new so may have different options from older ships but generally I reckon Amawaterways will keep the choices on the Rhine similar. So perhaps you could look at the roll calls to see if people have commented there?

I tried to find reviews from last year's German cooperation but could not find in them any comments on the bike tours.

notamermaid

My husband and I took the AmaSiena Christmas cruise from Basal to Amsterdam in December.  We enjoyed the vineyard hike (about 6 miles) in Rudesheim with a guide knowledgable about wine growing.  I enjoyed the bike tour in Cologne.  The bikes were in excellent condition.  We had a local guide leading the way and the fitness instructor bringing up the rear for just two participants.  We also did the active walking tour of Strasbourg.  It was combination speed walk and guided tour by a guide with very long legs!   

Hi.  We sailed on the AMASerena in June 2019 Amsterdam-Basel.  We loved it so much that we are taking my mom on the Basel-Amsterdam cruise this June, on the AMASiena (perhaps we are on the same cruise). I looked at the excursions this weekend and it appeared to be 99% of the same ones from our 2019 cruise.  All the excursions were very well done. 

Below is a short summary of the hike/bike excursions we took in June 2019, that are showing as options for our 2022 AMASiena Basel-Amsterdam cruise.  AMA gives a strenuous/difficulty level, which I assume is based on their average guest.  I put what we found to be the strenuous/difficulty level for us.  For reference on strenuous/difficulty, my husband and I are mid-40’s, early 50’s and are runners, cyclists. 

Cologne Bike Ride

This is a light (and rather short) bike ride.  Since we were in a group, we never went fast or even at what I would call a moderate pace (likely we were around 8 mph).  There was a good bit of stopping so the guide could tell us what we were seeing and give us historical information.  We went from the side of the river that the boat was docked to the other side and back. The only real hill was riding up and over a bridge, but those who found it too steep just got off and walked their bikes up (the picture is of the bridge back over the river). Our difficulty:  1.5

1458891237_BridgeonBikeTourCologne.thumb.jpg.a8df673d2cf7edda92965015436b4853.jpg

Rudesheim Bike Ride

This was a light but, more strenuous bike ride than Cologne as there were a few hills (well to us they are hills, we live in FL) and it was a bit longer.  This ride was extremely scenic, both along the water and then out into the vineyard area.  This ride stopped a few times but, not as much as Cologne.  Pic is of a vineyard we saw on the tour.  Our difficulty:  2

20190612_142208096_iOS.thumb.jpg.b0722532de91e8e1d81286b9ded440ce.jpg

Black Forest Hike

A motorcoach takes you to the Black Forest area and it is a nice drive; about a 45 minute ride.  Once there the hike takes you through the forest, which is quite stunning.  It was neat to see the small waterfalls and running water throughout the forest.  There were a few areas that had slight hills and a couple areas that had stairs to get you to the next level.  There were a few less active folks on this tour and they just took their time going up the stairs and hills, stopping as they needed.  It did not hold us up as we were stopping frequently to take pictures.  The hike ended at a little outdoor café owned by a family.  Grandma baked the most delicious black forest cake and we washed it down with a refreshing German beer.  We spent about 30 minutes here.  Some in our group hiked more during the 30 minutes but, it was such a fun atmosphere at the café that we relaxed and enjoyed the day.  Our difficulty:  2.5

20190615_080359187_iOS.thumb.jpg.1072ae0fbf968565f572428992d97bc7.jpg

Philosopher’s Path Hike

A motorcoach takes you to Heidelberg, which is the starting point for both the Philosopher’s Path Hike and the Heidelberg City Tour.  Unlike the Black Forest Hike, the drive to Heidelberg isn't particularly pretty. This hike was scenic, interesting and different.  It was uphill and parts along the way were quite steep.  The picture I’ve attached where you see down into Heidelberg should give you a good idea of the steepness as we hiked up from the city to past where I took the picture.  Almost at the top was an old amphitheater built in the 30's for 'cultural events'.  For us, this was the most active of the hikes.  That is likely because we are not used to hills or any steepness being from FL.  We had a very small group for this hike (only 8 of us) and 2 of the group were in their 70’s from Vancouver.  (They had an easier time on this hike up the hills than us.)  Our difficulty:  3.5

20190613_134802265_iOS.thumb.jpg.c4bc15af567df20cc57c6c47e36493e4.jpg

---For some reason, I can't get all the pictures to load right side.  Any tips are appreciated.  

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Diane

Edit:  Pictures loaded many times.  grrrr.

Edited by sunnydrk