Which test to get to show positive ... now recovered

Let It Go

We tested positive for Co-vid 19 on a self administered Rapid Antigen Test early March (80 days from sailing on HAL out of Vancouver).  We are double vaxed and boosted.   I am now trying to sort through what we need to do to board as we are inside the 90 day window for testing positive and recovered and therefore do not need to get a viral test before embarkation.   I understand that Documentation of Recovery includes the positive viral test result from a certified lab and a letter from our doctor stating that we are clear to travel.  No problem getting the letter of recovery ... but which test should we get?  Shoppers Drug Mart (ON) offers COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Screening @ $40 pp or COVID-19 PCR Testing @ $150 pp.    

I don't want to take a chance that we will test negative the day before embarkation as we still test + after 2 weeks on home rapid test.

Anyone with experience and advice would be welcomed.

We just got back from a carnival cruise on Saturday with 5/6 of us having had covid fewer than 90 days ago. We had to have a positive pcr test and a doctor’s note. If you didn’t get a pcr test (we lucked in to getting them right after Christmas before they weren’t allowed for general population in Ontario) 

PCR tests MAY a show covid up to 90+ days but a rapid antigen test shouldn’t show positive after 10-15 days. 
You could get a rapid antigen test at shoppers and just show that at the ship. They won’t really even care if you tested positive on a rapid test 80 days earlier if you didn’t take a valid PCR test. They just want you to be negative getting onboard and  that you can say you haven’t had covid in the last 10 days. 

• Like 3

There could be a risk if your cruise line requires PCR test (like Disney).  If you wait until just before you cruise and then test positive from a three month old infection you're probably not getting on the ship.  That test (in this case it could be antigen or PCR) would need to be older than 10 days before the cruise.

14 minutes ago, montrealmommy5 said:

Thank you for posting .. this is interesting we are sailing out of Florida this topic  helps.

(BC.. Before Covid.. lol) We always fly in  1 or 2 days prior.   Is it now  better to fly in day of ?? 

Well things can and will change, but who knows when.  Have you already had COVID?  That's the situation the OP brought up. 

From your username, I'm assuming you're coming from Canada to Florida, and that adds to the complexity a bit.  If you tested positive 10-90 days before flying from Canada to the U.S., then you'll need to show proof of that positive test (provided by a certified lab - not a home evaluation test) along with proof of recovery before getting on the plane (per US regulation).  Depending on your cruiseline, you probably need that same documentation to board the cruise (cruise line rules in coordination with CDC).  To me, I don't think which day you arrive in Florida really matters for any of that. 

Good news is, if you have that 10-90 day-old test and proof of recovery, then you don't actually need to test again anywhere along your trip, as far as I can tell.

All that said, always check with your airline and cruiseline for their current rules, and keep checking back for changes.

Testing positive after just a couple of weeks is not unusual. I'd suggest that you wait another month, then home test again. If you test negative, which I suspect will be the case, then you can relax.

In the off chance that you still get a positive reading, then go to SDM. Although more expensive, you have a better chance of a PCR test being positive. If you do get a positive result from the lab, follow HAL's recovery process as you are still well within the allowed timeframe. If the result is negative, you shouldn't be concerned about your pre-boarding test being positive.

• Like 1

Option one: do a Switch Health telehealth LAMP test (or a PCR test wherever you can get one) asap, hoping for a positive result so that you can then get the doctor's proof of recovery letter in a couple of weeks.  Without a documented positive LAMP/PCR test result from a supervised (in-person or telehealth) test, the recovery letter is generally not enough to board a cruise or fly to the States.

Option two: a few weeks before your cruise, do a home antigen test to confirm you are testing negative by that point, then later on get a pharmacy/travel clinic antigen test within the cruise line's specified dates for your pre-boarding test.  Ignore the fact that you were positive a few months before that test, just board with the regular testing antigen requirement.

Thank you for your responses and trust me I have run the same scenarios ...take the chance that we would test negative on the supervised antigen test the day before embarkation  ... I just have to figure out where to get the antigen test in Vancouver or pay now for the PCR test and hope HAL accepts the lab results and doctors letter.  It is the MAY APPLY that concerns me.

• From HAL ... Exceptions may apply for fully vaccinated asymptomatic guests that have tested positive for COVID-19 in the 90 days prior to embarkation and are fully recovered. Guests will need to provide a letter of recovery from their doctor and laboratory test results that are not older than 90 days. 

Final payment is due on the 29th.  I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 2:18 PM, Let It Go said:

Thank you for your responses and trust me I have run the same scenarios ...take the chance that we would test negative on the supervised antigen test the day before embarkation  ... I just have to figure out where to get the antigen test in Vancouver or pay now for the PCR test and hope HAL accepts the lab results and doctors letter.  It is the MAY APPLY that concerns me.

For what it's worth, you are highly unlikely to still be positive on an antigen test - the testing positive long after infection issue is specific to PCR and molecular tests picking up dead virus.

I'm surprised you're still testing positive two weeks out. 

Edited by cmich068

Re tested on Day 17 on home antigen test and finally negative .  I too was surprised on testing positive on Day 14 (faint but still there).

I was having a problem booking the PCR test in my area ... seems to be a problem when you just want a positive result.  My doctor could order the antibody test but that isn't acceptable for boarding.

We'll re-test before leaving home and will arrange for a supervised antigen test in Vancouver.

Made final payment!

• Like 2