Ship Capacity

a3593

Hello all! I have been out of the loop on cruise protocols by and large since COVID started. Looking to book the Legend this summer out of Baltimore, (yeyyy!)  but I'm wondering what capacity Carnival is sailing at now. Apologies if it's been answered; I found nothing definitive via search.

Question is asked and answered nearly daily.

The ships are sailing as full as they can - they discount as needed to fill every berth they can. I heard the rules are changing soon so that COVID positive guests can quarantine in their own room, so they won't need to reserve rooms for quarantine either. That opens up the rest of the rooms to sell.

The days of 50% capacity are gone and I'm sure Carnival hopes they never come back.

• Like 1

Just now, a3593 said:

Thanks mz-s.  So right now there's no hard and fast rule for CCL?  For example, all ships sailing at 70% capacity, etc?

No, they sell as many berths as they can - only holding back as many rooms as needed for CDC quarantine rules. As I said that rule will soon be lifted so they'll sell every room. The only thing left will be the 95% vaccinated rule, which limits young kids on the ships, I feel that rule will still be with us for some time however.

2 hours ago, a3593 said:

Hello all! I have been out of the loop on cruise protocols by and large since COVID started. Looking to book the Legend this summer out of Baltimore, (yeyyy!)  but I'm wondering what capacity Carnival is sailing at now. Apologies if it's been answered; I found nothing definitive via search.

Currently on Carnival Legend and we are sailing at capacity. Thankfully, capacity on a Spirit-class does not feel nearly as crowded as a Sunshine or Conquest-class ship. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brilliantseas said:

Currently on Carnival Legend and we are sailing at capacity. Thankfully, capacity on a Spirit-class does not feel nearly as crowded as a Sunshine or Conquest-class ship. 

That's one of my favorite things about the Spirit class ships... and the aft corner cabins on deck four, and the two story Supper Club (errr... Steakhouse)!

Tom

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I heard the rules are changing soon so that COVID positive guests can quarantine in their own room, so they won't need to reserve rooms for quarantine either. That opens up the rest of the rooms to sell.

Are you talking about some new rumored quarantine guidance, or the updates released last week? The new CDC quarantine guidance which went into effect on March 18th were for quarantine (for close contacts of infected passengers), not isolation (which is for infected passengers). And the stay in your room for quarantine is only if you were exposed the last 36 hours of the cruise. So they definitely still need cabins for quarantine and isolation for the moment.

But since you said "soon", maybe you're talking about something new that hasn't happened yet and just confused quarantine and isolation. (Which I daresay most of us misspeak on, including me)

5 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Are you talking about some new rumored quarantine guidance, or the updates released last week? The new CDC quarantine guidance which went into effect on March 18th were for quarantine (for close contacts of infected passengers), not isolation (which is for infected passengers). And the stay in your room for quarantine is only if you were exposed the last 36 hours of the cruise. So they definitely still need cabins for quarantine and isolation for the moment.

But since you said "soon", maybe you're talking about something new that hasn't happened yet and just confused quarantine and isolation. (Which I daresay most of us misspeak on, including me)

Earthworm Jim thank you for the clarification. I admit I read too quickly last week and you are correct - I was talking about that.

30 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

With Carnival's current promotion (kids sail for $1) I expect their ships to be very full this summer.

How do they know it's a family with kids booking and not a bunch of adults who want to cram into a cabin to sail cheaply as possible? I've never seen an option to select adults/children on the booking engine. Is this something they will be adding (like most hotels do) or is it an honor system? I seen this promotion too and it got me thinking how they would differentiate. Maybe they're assuming no sane adult would pack into cabins lol? A lot of younger party cruisers may be willing to do this though and I could imagine crazy off-putting capacity if that's the case.  

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

How do they know it's a family with kids booking and not a bunch of adults who want to cram into a cabin to sail cheaply as possible? I've never seen an option to select adults/children on the booking engine. Is this something they will be adding (like most hotels do) or is it an honor system? I seen this promotion too and it got me thinking how they would differentiate. Maybe they're assuming no sane adult would pack into cabins lol? A lot of younger party cruisers may be willing to do this though and I could imagine crazy off-putting capacity if that's the case.  

You have to put the DOB of all passengers at some point. So if you booked a minor and check in adult, best guess they'd hit you with the price then. 

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

How do they know it's a family with kids booking and not a bunch of adults who want to cram into a cabin to sail cheaply as possible? I

I believe this is just the wording on the big promotion on their homepage.  Looking at the details (after going through the booking process) it just applies to 3rd, 4th, 5th person (yes, they actually say 5th) 😄 in a cabin (they don't seem to care if they are kids or not). 

We are traveling with our kid who just turned 18, so technically 3 adults, but we qualify for this offer.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

I believe this is just the wording on the big promotion on their homepage.  Looking at the details (after going through the booking process) it just applies to 3rd, 4th, 5th person (yes, they actually say 5th) 😄 in a cabin (they don't seem to care if they are kids or not). 

We are traveling with our kid who just turned 18, so technically 3 adults, but we qualify for this offer.

Thanks for the info. As crazy as it sounds, some will cram 5 in an inside and shower/change in the gym/spa, the pool showers and use the general public bathrooms and such. I don't cruise in the summer time (too hot) but it'll be interesting to read about peoples sailing experience during these times. Seems to be targeted at summer sailings and I'm sure there will be a lot of young adults who will be filling the ships if it's essentially buy 2, get 3 for $1. 

• Like 1