Timing of Covid tests travelling to the USA

BulldustHHH

While not strictly a cruise question, I feel others here will probably have an answer to this. As we need to fly from Australia to the USA before our next cruise, the regulations state that a Covid test is required within 24 hours of the trip departure. This means that if your flight were to go to the US from London, for example, and it leaves at one minute to midnight on a Thursday, a test result as early as one minute past midnight on the previous Wednesday would be valid - an extreme example, this is not my question.

From Perth there is no such thing as a direct flight to the USA. We will be travelling Perth-->Dubai, short transit (3 hours or so) and then Dubai--> NY. My question is whether the test has to be on the previous calendar day of the departure from Perth, or the second leg into NY, as this makes a difference. To play it safe, we probably should have the test on the day of the leg out of Perth, but I find it frustrating that the person at the US Embassy in Canberra (Oz capital) couldn't even answer the question. Anyone have experience with this issue?

2 hours ago, BulldustHHH said:

While not strictly a cruise question, I feel others here will probably have an answer to this. As we need to fly from Australia to the USA before our next cruise, the regulations state that a Covid test is required within 24 hours of the trip departure. This means that if your flight were to go to the US from London, for example, and it leaves at one minute to midnight on a Thursday, a test result as early as one minute past midnight on the previous Wednesday would be valid - an extreme example, this is not my question.

From Perth there is no such thing as a direct flight to the USA. We will be travelling Perth-->Dubai, short transit (3 hours or so) and then Dubai--> NY. My question is whether the test has to be on the previous calendar day of the departure from Perth, or the second leg into NY, as this makes a difference. To play it safe, we probably should have the test on the day of the leg out of Perth, but I find it frustrating that the person at the US Embassy in Canberra (Oz capital) couldn't even answer the question. Anyone have experience with this issue?

I can help with part of your question. Per the CDC for flights coming to the USA, it is not 24 hours.  It is one day.  If you flight leaves on Friday then a test anytime on Thursday is OK.  Flight time does not come into play.   Per the CDC this approach was intentional to provide some flexibility.   

I recall reading about connections and delays but honestly cannot remember the details.   Hopefully someone will be able to help you with that.   

We decided to test on the morning of the flight out of Perth, as this is the safest (from the point of view of not being rejected by US authorities) timing as it would satisfy the previous calendar day from the Dubai departure to NYC criterion. Still frustrating that these things get changed pretty much on a whim, and people required to know about, or enforce, the ever-changing rules don't really know how to apply them.

On 3/23/2022 at 7:43 PM, BulldustHHH said:

We decided to test on the morning of the flight out of Perth, as this is the safest (from the point of view of not being rejected by US authorities) timing as it would satisfy the previous calendar day from the Dubai departure to NYC criterion. Still frustrating that these things get changed pretty much on a whim, and people required to know about, or enforce, the ever-changing rules don't really know how to apply them.

I just received test requirement info for a flight we are about to take to Europe.  Made me think of your question.  

Coming to the US from Australia, the carrier says the test must be no more than one day before departure from the first embarkation point.   They go on to reinforce by saying one day before a first flight in a series of connections booked for the same itinerary.   As I read it, a re-test is not needed for flight delays of up to 24 hours (48 hours on connecting flights).   Sadly, my carrier doesn't offer connections through Dubai, so I couldn't check that.   

Of course it would be wise to confirm with an authority.  

Edited by ldubs