Testing

13 hours ago, Button14 said:

Thank you all for your help

Looking at all the options you have given to me but unfortunately do not know anyone in the USA so that won't be an option.

My wife and I are in the same position as yourselves. What we are doing is to take in extra testing kits from the UK (same ones we are using for our US flights) and doing the online test. Only thing to be aware of is the time difference when booking the appointment times.

We are using Edocs ones, used in the past and no issue. Only 19 quid each.

I am pretty sure the OP's initial test to fly to the US will be OK for RCI. It is 2 days before testing but boarding day is classed as day 0 so testing on Wednesday and sailing on Friday will be fine.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

1868811924_Screenshot2022-03-28at14_02_06.thumb.png.4fac86170ea01b5d16f6c7d08300c210.png

WE are also flying in from the UK to take a cruise out of USA. We are taking our test at Lloyds Pharmacy on the Thursday morning, using that test to fly on Friday to the US and using the same test to board RCI Radiance of the Seas on the Saturday. Lloyds tests are approx £30 and you get results whilst you wait. 

4 hours ago, Digjharper said:

My wife and I are in the same position as yourselves. What we are doing is to take in extra testing kits from the UK (same ones we are using for our US flights) and doing the online test. Only thing to be aware of is the time difference when booking the appointment times.

We are using Edocs ones, used in the past and no issue. Only 19 quid each.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but for those taking tests from the UK to do once in the USA - they are NOT accepted, even the ones where you test via video link. I checked with Royal and they clearly said that unless I tested in the UK, then my only other 2 options were to test in USA or get a RCI test sent to my hotel. Any test that originated from the UK CANNOT be used for boarding stateside unless its taken in the UK and falls within the 2 day testing rule.

2 hours ago, 38anchor said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but for those taking tests from the UK to do once in the USA - they are NOT accepted, even the ones where you test via video link. I checked with Royal and they clearly said that unless I tested in the UK, then my only other 2 options were to test in USA or get a RCI test sent to my hotel. Any test that originated from the UK CANNOT be used for boarding stateside unless its taken in the UK and falls within the 2 day testing rule.

It all depends if the test kits have been approved by the US FDA as per the reply I got from RCI this morning. Many kits sold in the UK are approved by the US FDA. For example, the ones I am taking in to the US are certainly approved by the US FDA so according to RCI they are acceptable.

https://dochq.co.uk/shop/

“Telehealth self-tests taken at home must meet these requirements:

Per U.S. CDC guidance, only vaccinated guests may present self-administered telehealth COVID-19 test results at the terminal to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement. The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA. The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative. The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.

International guests sailing from the U.S. are able to complete their testing using telehealth test kits, providing the kit has been authorized for use by the U.S. FDA. Telehealth test kits obtained internationally that do not meet this requirement will not be accepted”.

Edited by Digjharper
Updated with proof of FDA approval
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Digjharper said:

Per U.S. CDC guidance, only vaccinated guests may present self-administered telehealth COVID-19 test results at the terminal to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement. The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA. The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative. The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.

I fully understand what has been posted. However, I have another question.

The US Government provided us free test kits for home self testing.

Why cannot I take that test to my personal Dr. and have him/her watch or administer that free

test and verify or certify the test results? This would be much more supervised than over the video call. 

Can you imagine how this would help relieve the concern many have about making and meeting an appoint with CVS or Walgreens?

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

Why cannot I take that test to my personal Dr. and have him/her watch or administer that free

test and verify or certify the test results?

If the doc would provide the documentation which RCI accepts, that would work.

26 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If the doc would provide the documentation which RCI accepts, that would work.

How do we find out if RCI would accept this?

Afraid to  call and ask just anyone at RCI as we all know that Customer Service in any organization is not well informed.

Is there anyone who has a valid RCI contact?

Thanks In Advance!!!!

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I suggest asking your doc first if he would 'certify' one of those tests from the government.  If not, then you wouldn't be wasting your time calling RCI.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Oxo said:

RCI will refer you to their FAQ which states:

• The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. 
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Realistically, the port workers look at the documentation for about 5 seconds and only look for the highlighted part.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Digjharper said:

It all depends if the test kits have been approved by the US FDA as per the reply I got from RCI this morning. Many kits sold in the UK are approved by the US FDA. For example, the ones I am taking in to the US are certainly approved by the US FDA so according to RCI they are acceptable.

https://dochq.co.uk/shop/

International guests sailing from the U.S. are able to complete their testing using telehealth test kits, providing the kit has been authorized for use by the U.S. FDA. Telehealth test kits obtained internationally that do not meet this requirement will not be accepted”.

Thats interesting, and thanks for posting  - I have it it writing from RCI that states that NO tests from the UK can be used... Just shows you that the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing 🤣

11 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

Thats interesting, and thanks for posting  - I have it it writing from RCI that states that NO tests from the UK can be used... Just shows you that the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing 🤣

Hopefully there have been some Folks from the UK that have cruised out of the US since November that can confirm what has been accepted in the way of testing. When I spoke to a RCI rep on the phone last week they said that if the test was good enough to enter the USA it should be good to get on our ships but I wanted this confirmed in writing.

I probably will still try to get a test in either Walgreens or CVS as an insurance just in case.

Talked to my Dr. He would not do it. Suggested to use CVS. We have used CVS on our last 3 cruises at no cost to us and was quick, results within 30 minutes.

Thanks!

Edited by Oxo

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

test and verify or certify the test results? This would be much more supervised than over the video call. 

Can you imagine how this would help relieve the concern many have about making and meeting an appoint with CVS or Walgreens?

well I guess they figure your doctor could lie.  I mean I do agree.

this whole testing crap has taken so many twists and turns it is exhausting to keep up with.

Yes for now a stranger at a drug store is more reliable as far as the cruise lines are concerned.   kinda of sad in a way.

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Talked to my Dr. He would not do it. Suggested to use CVS. We have used CVS on our last 3 cruises at no cost to us and was quick, results within 30 minutes.

Thanks!

Not sure CVS in Ft Lauderdale is doing these tests if you answer the questionnaire honestly - ie have you been exposed.   They do it on Michigan at current time for travel.  There is a Walgreens nearby on Federal highway.   Has anyone used the Lab doctor for rapid antigen? We sail April 23.  

On 3/25/2022 at 12:52 PM, little britain said:

I have already admitted my error. No need to flog the point 

I posted before I say you had admitted it.

Life on the internet.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:22 PM, Oxo said:

Some of the free tests are iHealth.  You can do at home testing for a $20 proctoring charge.

Check your tests.  I got two sets, one set is iHealth and the other is not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 7:38 PM, Digjharper said:

Hopefully there have been some Folks from the UK that have cruised out of the US since November that can confirm what has been accepted in the way of testing. When I spoke to a RCI rep on the phone last week they said that if the test was good enough to enter the USA it should be good to get on our ships but I wanted this confirmed in writing.

I probably will still try to get a test in either Walgreens or CVS as an insurance just in case.

Did you find out anymore on this? We are due to travel in a week but have a week in Orlando beforehand and not sure what to do about the tests! 

On 4/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, bigjcruiser said:

Did you find out anymore on this? We are due to travel in a week but have a week in Orlando beforehand and not sure what to do about the tests! 

No, unfortunately I have not seen any more replies on this subject. My wife and I are travelling to the US on Wednesday and will do our monitored LF tests on Tuesday morning to (hopefully) allow us entry. What we have done is take some additional test kits with us and have an online appointment the day before we cruise. We also plan to do Walgreens drive through testing before we head to the cruise,

Out of the two tests, surely one will be acceptable to board, that is provided they are negative.

I started a new thread earlier with a similar question as I hadn’t seen this one. Mine is slightly different as we fly in 29th cruise is 30th, so we can get the tests done 28th which is within 2 days but what I wasn’t clear on was whether the 2 days is classed as 48 hours or not as with time difference it could make our invalid.
As others have said I have tested using VPN to access US testing appts and it works, otherwise Heathrow have a 90 mins result facility which we could use on the day of the flight and will use those as a last resort I guess

10 minutes ago, newxmascruiser said:

I wasn’t clear on was whether the 2 days is classed as 48 hours or not as with time difference it could make our invalid.

At any time two days before sailing (time zone doesn't matter).

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, Digjharper said:

No, unfortunately I have not seen any more replies on this subject. My wife and I are travelling to the US on Wednesday and will do our monitored LF tests on Tuesday morning to (hopefully) allow us entry. What we have done is take some additional test kits with us and have an online appointment the day before we cruise. We also plan to do Walgreens drive through testing before we head to the cruise,

Out of the two tests, surely one will be acceptable to board, that is provided they are negative.

We had our tests at Heathrow airport the day before boarding Celebrity in January, it was easy. We are doing the same this week to fly to Miami but our cruise is 4 days later so we will use lab doctor for the test to cruise. Janice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...