A Spring Break on the Mardi Gras Review 3/12-3/19 with a few pics and far too many words....

HolySpearit

On 3/25/2022 at 2:08 PM, HolySpearit said:

I’M ON A BOAT:

I decide if the boats going down I’m prob going to get eaten by a shark anyways so whatever.

Be like D and eat more meat. That way the sharks will not eat you because they prefer fish eaters.  And, the Mardi Gras is a ship, not a boat.  EDIT, glad to see in post 11 that you did recognize that the MG is a ship.  Carry on.....

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 12:07 AM, cruisingguy007 said:

Even the other smaller behemoth ships are garnering complaints about crowds, lines, lack of places to sit, food/beverage shortages, staff shortages and those low capacity entertainment options that are so often touted as being far superior to Carnival's

I can't comment on Mardi Gras or any of the Oasis class ships but I was watching a popular cruise vlogging couple on the new Wonder of the Seas and they indicated that you need to book dining and shows within minutes of getting on the ship or they fill up.

That was disappointing to hear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

We were in 12476.  Great location.  I would absolutely take this cabin again.

As to Voodoo Moon.  For the first performance, the main female singer is hoisted up during one of the songs and it's pretty cool as she belts it out hanging up there in front of the LED screen.  For whatever reason, during the second performance, they couldn't get the cables attached, so she just sang off to the side of the stage.  Not nearly as impressive an effect...

Our friends will be two decks above your cabin.  I'm glad you liked it because I talked him into booking it.  😁

That's disappointing to hear, sounds like they had technical issues or something.  As I said, we saw the first show and I couldn't put my finger on it but something was missing.  They may have cut something out since December to shorten it or whatever.

19 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Hey, Rochester here too. I practically have travel time to MSP down to a science depending on whether it includes parking or not. That only adds 5 minutes usually. I set the alarms but rarely need them I am so excited to be going somewhere.. 

Sorry I got sidetracked here answering the third Medicare scam call today.

Yeah, I only need the one alarm to get up.  The other one's are for everyone else 🙂  Question for you, do you park at the airport or a park and fly?  We used to do the later (EZ-Air) but one trip when we call they said "we may have a spot"......I went right to the airport and parked.  Now that is all we do as we typically fly Southwest or Sun Country and that terminal is so easy to park at.  Great to see other SE MN people like to cruise also!  

• Like 1

Oh my gosh your review is fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing and for making me laugh.

We will be on Mardi Gras next year for spring break with TWO teenagers, but I promise they behave because they have been taught consequences for their actions. I once threw a toy out the car window when the older one wouldn't stop hitting the younger one with it. He is 16 and still talks about that. Parenting win. 

I am interested to see that many of you seem to be saying that the MDR food isn't that good. We too have tons of OBC due to canceled cruises (although not directly due to Covid funny enough). I am thinking about just booking us in for all the specialty restaurants. We usually do the steakhouse on the first night, so I'm sad that it may not be that good. Maybe a year from now they will have their act together.

• Like 2

Well dang, we on page 3 already!!! The elevator is trying to break me down (the elevator being work...work pays for cruises is what I keep telling myself) but I am ready to go crazy aka continue this long and winding journey of rambling our way though the Mardi Gras

GRAND TURK

So as I mentioned we had reserved a Jeep through Wet Money Enterprises about a month pre-cruise. After our itinerary got all shook up by the winds of Nassau, D had emailed them asking to switch the date. We never got a direct response, but we did get a new "confirmation" email that had our new date on it. Score! We were to meet at their booth, in the cruise terminal next to the taxi stand, at 9am.

Up and at em around 7 and we're docked in Grand Turk!! AND ITS SUNNY!!!! Finally everything is coming up Milhouse (ermm...Holy Spearit) on this cruise!  We have yet to eat anything from the buffet so we decide to head there for breakfast.

This buffet is...small. Or it seems small. I think it's more like the food itself is small even though the buffet footprint is big. It's LARGE in the sense of it spans over 1/2 of deck 16. We did not ever have problems finding a table and food lines were not terrible. However it's set up somewhat weird in my opinion. There's a station with about 6-10 food items. Then section in the middle with the omlettes, bread stuffs for my fellow carb lovers, and fruit for the healthies amongst us. Then there's another station on the other side that has somewhat different food items that included what I swear was a turkey??? I mean I don't really want turkey for breakfast but hey whatever floats your boat. I don't know, objectively it's not really that small and I'm sure it's roughly the same amount of food as the old "straight down the old line" buffets on older ships but it seems smaller. 

Anyways, I got some French Toast (good!!) and some juice and called it a day. D got some fruit, a couple hash browns (not good, tasted like it had LaCroix essence of onion added?), and some sausage (meh). We hang out in the buffet for a bit and down we go to leave! 

Signs everywhere say you need to have a mask on during disembarkation at all ports. There was roughly 20% of people wearing masks when we got off around 9:30am. I followed the rules but nobody said a word to the mask-less. 

And we're in Grand Turk! I don't have any buffet pics so picture some French Toast and a hashbrown in your head. 

• Like 3

GRAND TURK CONT'D:

So we get off the ship (not BOAT, SHIP!) around 8:45. Head on over and Wet Money is exactly where they reported they'd be, right next to the Taxi stand inside the port. Stand in a short line and fill out some forms agreeing we won't damage the Jeep and that we won't sue if we die or something. Other guy walks us over to the road and up pulls our Jeep.

This thing was JANKY. I work in the auto industry and I can say with 95% confidence this was totaled by an insurance company at some point. My seatbelt was locked in place so I am apparently living dangerously on this island. Airbag light is on. Door has no catch so unless you hold onto it, it goes flying into the fender every time you open it. No siree Bob, I am not paying for any fender damage I will tell you that much. Anyways dude assures us it is fine (I am internally freaking out this Jeep is going to roll and I'm gonna go flying out into a donkey due to my lack of seatbelt, but ok),  tells us to return it with the same amount of gas in it (a whopping 1/4 of a tank) reminds us "right side is suicide" (aka you gotta drive on the left like a fancy British person) and sends us on our way. And away we go! 

We've been here before and we rented a golf cart last time so I won't lie it was a lot of "eh, been here done that". Drove around, got lost a few times. Finally found the lighhouse. It is still $3 to get in. The main bar is open. You allegedly get $3 off your drink purchase with your entrance ticket. We got bottles of water (we are already on the wrong side of the road and I have no seatbelt, WE AINT DRINKING) and did not get $3 off. I didn't push the issue nor really care. The second bar known as The Lazy Donkey was closed. The ropes course/zip line was closed. Last time I saw 3 people get stuck out there so I mean maybe that was a good move. We visit some donkies, drive around a little bit more, stopped briefly at a beach to take some pics and then head over to Jack's Shack for some jerk chicken. Parked the old Jalopy Jeep in the parking lot in the back-there's signs directing you how to get there on the road. It is easy. 

It is packed, but chicken is indeed delicious. Pro tip: you order your food at the bar, then bring your receipt over to the food guy to get your chicken (or whatever else you ordered). Like 4 people asked me how to order. Unclear if I look friendly or knowledgeable, but I assure you only one of those things is like 50% correct. However, I do assist them and now consider myself a Jack's Shack expert. 

I see the doogos and am thrilled, but disappointed there is no gift shop cats like there was last time. I hope they didn't blow away in a hurricane! Pick up a bottle of jerk sauce to bring home, however I know deep down chicken grilled in our driveway will never taste as good as that beach chicken.

It's about 12:30 by then but we feel done. So we return our Janky Jeep (we just pulled into "rental car return" and a guy from Wet Money ran over and met with us). Walked around the port a little, Starbucks in the port is open , but only to purchase the mugs from their "you are here" series...I didnt' discover this until after we were gone or I would have picked one up. Back on the ship, I forgot to put my mask on. Oops. Nobody said a word. I was not the only one who apparently forgot....

Overall it was a fine experience. We paid $140.26 for the day. Was it worth that? Probably not. I'd do a golf cart again next time. The Jeep was almost too fast?? The golf cart was more unique and leisurely. After driving about 45 minutes we had basically seen everything. I have no complaints with Wet Money. Nice people and easy to find, they do rent golf carts too and I'd use them for that next time we're there. Grand Turk does have beautiful water. You can still see the effects of the hurricane from 5 years ago in the buildings. We never felt unsafe. 

Oh we also had to put gas in it. Gas was $6.75 PER LITER. Holllllllyyy donkey I almost fell over and died with that. Luckily it's a small island so we didn't use up too much. We gave the dude $30, told him to put $20 in there and keep the rest. It got us back to where we were when we got the Jeep so that was good. 

I'll be back likely tomorrow to keep it going! 

Donkey friends....best part of Grand Turk! 

Donkey 1.jpg

The infamous Janky Jeep. The beach we went to was also right there....that's the airport on the left if that gives you any context. There's a small path you can walk down. It is rocky, not a swimming beach, but is very pretty. 

Janky Jeep.jpg

Water there sure is pretty/clear.....

LH1.jpg

Edited by HolySpearit
  • Like 5

On 3/26/2022 at 8:33 PM, cruisemom2 said:

So on the unexpected sea day, I was feeling a little woozy and took a nap.  My DIL (not feeling great either) sent me some Bonine and I felt much better after I took that and the nap.  I don't usually get seasick at all but I was out of commission for about 3 hours that day.  Anyway, we ran into our room steward when my husband was walking me to the cabin and told him I was going to take a nap. So we totally missed out on the toucan/turkey/duck.  😏

We also went to Teppanyaki at 5:30 (earlybird/elderly hour) but on Tuesday/Grand Turk Day.  Our guy was entertaining and the food was awesome.  I'm allergic to shrimp and I've honestly never been to a habachi restaurant on land that I've liked.  We went to the habachi on Royal in November and I loved it.  It was every bit as good on Mardi Gras.  I had chicken and steak - and let me tell you the steak was way better than the filet I had in the steakhouse on night one.  Oh and the juice thing!  I couldn't understand what he said it was either but it wasn't vodka.  🤣🤣🤣  Our son said drink it to cleanse your palate between trying the different dessert things.  I did, but still don't know what it was.  lol

I KNEW THAT WASNT VODKA AND HE WAS TRYING TO PLAY ME lollll!! Probably some kind of juice he didn’t think I’d drink so he told me it was vodka so I’d try it 😂😂 well it worked and it was good so jokes on me! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bandjwayne said:

Yeah, I only need the one alarm to get up.  The other one's are for everyone else 🙂  Question for you, do you park at the airport or a park and fly?  We used to do the later (EZ-Air) but one trip when we call they said "we may have a spot"......I went right to the airport and parked.  Now that is all we do as we typically fly Southwest or Sun Country and that terminal is so easy to park at.  Great to see other SE MN people like to cruise also!  

We use EZ-Air and have never tried the airport parking. I have Mayo discount and we never call ahead. Have never been turned away. We once returned after a blizzard and they made sure everyone’s cars started and were shoveled out. Terminal 2 does look easier to park at.

On 3/28/2022 at 6:23 PM, pc_load_letter said:

I can't comment on Mardi Gras or any of the Oasis class ships but I was watching a popular cruise vlogging couple on the new Wonder of the Seas and they indicated that you need to book dining and shows within minutes of getting on the ship or they fill up.

That was disappointing to hear.

That started back in 2009 on the Oasis of the Seas and has been the same on the other Oasis Class ships as well as other larger ships in the RCI fleet.  It's also the same on NCL on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus Class ships.  

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

That started back in 2009 on the Oasis of the Seas and has been the same on the other Oasis Class ships as well as other larger ships in the RCI fleet.  It's also the same on NCL on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus Class ships.  

We could never consider such a venue if that were the case. Reading the previous several posts I'm reminded of the song "Under Pressure".  Nope...love the song, but will not go through the stress of trying to get reservations for a show. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

We could never consider such a venue if that were the case. Reading the previous several posts I'm reminded of the song "Under Pressure".  Nope...love the song, but will not go through the stress of trying to get reservations for a show. 

There is a stand by line for those without reservations.  Ten minutes from showtime you lose your reservation and any remaining seats are able to be filled with those in the stand by line.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

There is a stand by line for those without reservations.  Ten minutes from showtime you lose your reservation and any remaining seats are able to be filled with those in the stand by line.  

:classic_laugh:  'Under pressure.....pressing down on me...."  

I don't think so Tim. Are there really cruisers out there that would wait in a stand by line, in hopes go get a seat for a show??? More power to them...bless their hearts. 

• Haha 2

Just want to add in order to enter Grand Turk you must walk through the Duty Free shop located at the end of the pier. On this day they had guards standing in front of the Duty Free shop and if you did not have a mask on they would not allow you to enter. There were tons of people (myself included) who made the U-turn back to the ship to get masks. Fortunately for me, just prior to walking up the gangway, I ran into a very kind lady who overheard me talking to my daughter. She opened up her purse and displayed a rather large box of masks and asked me how many I needed!! I thanked her profusely.  Moral of the story, in current times, never leave the ship without possessing a mask. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love your review! I feel like I'm reading something I wrote as I too am a married, pushing 40, childless, type A (but not a Karen) cruise lover lol. We sailed one time during spring break and vowed "never again". We were on the Mardi Gras in January and had an amazing time, but there were only about 3800 passengers and I have a feeling we would not have enjoyed it nearly as much if it were full 😞 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I don't think so Tim. Are there really cruisers out there that would wait in a stand by line, in hopes go get a seat for a show??? More power to them...bless their hearts. 

Right there with ya. In the other thread about Carnival v RCL, I simply stated that making reservations before I even get on the ship is not how my wife and I like to cruise. We are much more laissez-faire cruisers and sometimes our plans can change hour to hour.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 1:26 AM, rolloman said:

I was on this cruise as well. You must have had a forward cabin to have felt the rocking you described. I was midship deck nine and felt basically no movement. I was actually impressed the ship handled so well. I was on the inaugural sailing and it was great at 40% capacity. However, I will never sail Mardi Gras again since now experiencing it at full capacity. This ship felt way too crowded compared to  similar passenger sized Royal Caribbean ships. The initial draw and defining visual character is the roller coaster, yet it is hardly ever working for one reason or the other. On the last day when it made a handful of runs, some guy was actually stuck on it for about 20 minutes. The Palm dining room was like a high school cafeteria and the buffet felt like MSC, minimal choices and missing deserts compared to the inaugural. Those were my chief complaints.  Anyway...looking forward to the rest of your review, very entertaining thus far. 

We were also on 9 midship and felt nothing!

12 hours ago, Joe817 said:

The name's not Tim.  And I have seen it first hand four times on NCL, three times on the Escape and once on the Bliss.  The lines were primarily for the comedy shows, similar to how people line up for a half hour prior to a popular comedy show on Carnival.

3 hours ago, Lem_On_Ade said:

We were on the Mardi Gras in January and had an amazing time, but there were only about 3800 passengers and I have a feeling we would not have enjoyed it nearly as much if it were full 😞 

We were on the MG on a B2B in February with 5000 on board each week and had a great time.

5 hours ago, rolloman said:

Moral of the story, in current times, never leave the ship without possessing a mask. 

An alternative story would be to just stay on board and enjoy the jewel of Carnival then you don't have to worry about masks.

• Like 1

Grand Turk Cont’d

We’re back on the ship by early afternoon. G’s already been there and left us a (monochromatic) towel animal so D decides he wants to watch a movie. There’s a decent variety of movies in the room available on demand. Some of them are newer (House of Gucci, Scream), some of them are older. The newer ones are $5. The older ones are for free. I have no idea what he watched. I asked him and he said “Halloween Kills” which seems like an odd choice for a cruise in March but hey, it’s his vacation too so go on with your Michael Meyers. I decided to walk around the ship a little bit, grab a Tito’s from the Bar Della Rosa, and sit out on an outside deck and read some more. It was so nice for it to finally be sunny and warm!!!! Put me on a cruise with a drink a book and some sunshine and it’s almost better than being at one of the shows. Almost.

Come back to the room late afternoon and we decide we’re going to make our first trip to the dining room for dinner. Get presentable and check in on the app shortly before they open at our standard elderly hour of 5:30. Table is indeed ready in under 10 minutes.

Head on down and we’re seated again at a table near a window with nobody else around. Hmmmm…we seem to be consistently getting good tables. Perks of eating so early maybe? Or maybe there’s notes in our file that were weirdos and not to seat anyone next to us. Anyways, our server is Melody and she is sooooooooo nice and sweet. For real my favorite server we had in any venue. I settle on the mozzarella sticks as an app, Indian vegetarian as my main, and the bitter and blanc for dessert. D goes for the shrimp cocktail, a steak from the steakhouse menu/extra charge (still gotta burn that onboard credit), and the melting cake. We also get drinks but I can’t recall what. Service is relatively quick. Mozzarella sticks: good. It’s fried cheese how can you really screw that up? Indian vegetarian? Also good, I feel like more people need to go for this. It is spicy but tasty and you get so much food. Bitter and Blanc? Good! Shrimp cocktail: ehhhhh fine. Shrimps were small. Steak: also ehhhhh fine. Melting cake: wildly undercooked and mostly the “melting” part. I warn D he is going to probably get botulism or salmonella or something. He tells me I need to chill. Spoiler alert: he was as usual correct. He was indeed fine.

Overall dinner in the Palms dining room was….ok. 10/10 for service. 6/10 for food. We were in and out in about an hour which I didn’t think was too bad. Food was not offensive but I would struggle to call it anything better than “fine” overall. What we got was hot.  We had some dancing to Sweet Caroline in the middle of dinner, or approximately 6:15 or so for those really wanting to see it. Man cruises are wild. Where else can you be munching on a mozzarella stick then suddenly everyone is crooning “good times never seemed so goooood”. Remarkable, truly.

I have no pics here so picture a mozzarella stick singing Sweet Caroline in your head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3