Cunard Over The Years

wynkys

I have just booked Queen Elizabeth's seven night Tasmanian cruise out of Melbourne in December2022.

This will be my fifth journey with Cunard with the first seventy years ago and the others spaced out over the

years/

In August 1952 I was on the Georgic crossing to New York then in 1979 on the QE2 in conjunction with the

Concorde. In 2004 I travelled with my mother on QM2's inaugural crossing which left Southampton on what

was my 60th birthday. Then in New York we transferred to QE2 for the first tandem  crossing back to

Southampton.

So, I have been travelling Cunard as long as Her Majesty has been on the throne.

• Like 7

That is an amazing historical accomplishment. Congratulations. I hope that you share that information with Cunard prior to your December voyage. I must admit to being very jealous of your 1979 Crossing/Concorde, perhaps something that will never be done again and represents the height of luxury and style. All the best on your 5th voyage.

Jack

• Like 1

Yes, a lot of great historical memories!  We did the QE2 crossing years after you and ALMOST booked the Concorde,  but Cunard wanted to charge us $500.00 pp extra for the Concorde, or we could fly back or the regular flights for free.  To this day my husband still says he wishes we would have flown supersonic.

I am sure you will be doing a few more cruises to add to your collection!

12 hours ago, wynkys said:

In 2004 I travelled with my mother on QM2's inaugural crossing which left Southampton on what was my 60th birthday. Then in New York we transferred to QE2 for the first tandem crossing back to Southampton.

From the Cunard Cruise Videos thread, including the tandem sailaway from NY. You might even spot yourself.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:43 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

Unfortunately this one has been recovered from VHS so the Quality isn't that great.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Transatlantic Crossing 2004.

• Like 1

Wynkys, that is quite an achievement! I wonder if there is anyone in this group who has been on an earlier voyage than you - 1952 is indeed impressive! My first Cunard trip was in October of 1962 - so I am also celebrating a milestone year of Cunard trips, but although I have been on QE2, I never was able to do the Concorde. You are so lucky 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wynkys said:

I have just booked Queen Elizabeth's seven night Tasmanian cruise out of Melbourne in December2022.

This will be my fifth journey with Cunard with the first seventy years ago and the others spaced out over the

years/

In August 1952 I was on the Georgic crossing to New York then in 1979 on the QE2 in conjunction with the

Concorde. In 2004 I travelled with my mother on QM2's inaugural crossing which left Southampton on what

was my 60th birthday. Then in New York we transferred to QE2 for the first tandem  crossing back to

Southampton.

So, I have been travelling Cunard as long as Her Majesty has been on the throne.

This is so wonderful to read!  If you have any sort of documentation from any these trips, you might try submitting it to Cunard for CWC credit if you don't have it already.  I few years ago, I was able to get them to credit me for my 1981 crossing (on a student fare) on QE2 from NY to Southampton. I had saved every scrap of paper from that trip, including a badly faded ticket and embarkation photos, and they were very nice about giving me credit for those 5 nights.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments and I will indeed approach Cunard re my history with them.

As for documentation, I recently re-discovered the family copy of the passenger list from the

1952 crossing with me listed along with my mother and grandparents.

To finish off the Concorde story, the lasting memory for me was seeing the curvature of the earth

with a glass of champagne in hand.

• Like 7