Disney & Carnival? Is it too much?

melz1010

So I'm planning to take the Mardi Gras out of Orlando in December for Christmas. But since we're going to be in Orlando, I figured instead of flying in one day before. Let's fly in two days before and spend a day at magic kingdom and then board the ship the next day.  Magic Kingdom at Christmas sounds wonderful. But now I'm having second thoughts. It seems great. The kids will be 8 years old. Last time we took them to disney they just turned 5. It would be for only one day. But this cost is getting crazy. To stay at a hotel off disney property for 2 days isn't too bad but the price of disney tickets are so high. Add in the cost of the cruise, airfare, excursions, and drink packages, the prices is getting a bit out of hand. However, I still feel it would make a great vacation for the kids. They get to go to magic kingdom, see the character, get on a few rides, watch the parade and then the next day spend the week on the sea. What do you think? Is it too much? Or should I just fly my ass to Orlando the night before and board the ship like regular folk LOL. 

• Like 1

Thanks Cole. Well I won't be in debt but as I'm planning it, I didn't realize the cost until as I started planning it. I have a vision for this vacation but now I'm trying to decide if it's worth it or not. 

I agree with Cole. The kids would probably enjoy M.K. more than a cruise. But you all will have fun too! OTOH everyone would enjoy a cruise on the Mardi Gras with so many things to do! I would do one or the other, but not both. Tough choice. 

• Like 1

we are doing this this July  doing 8 days on the horizon then five days at Disney

i think its going to be super fun.   lol all i have been doing is complaining about the price to the wife 😞  but some bonus she got is helping cover the costs.    but its family trip  DS and his wife live in NY and we are from cali so they will be joining us,

disney at Xmas probably not so much i have heard the week up to xmas and after are the worst crowded.

Edited by cxr133
  • Like 1

Our kids visited Disney when they were young. They also began Cruising when they were young. During our last Family Vacation Vote (years ago) we all chose Cruising!! Never even considered Disney again and have enjoyed every moment aboard the Carnival Ships!  

• Like 1

Don't know about the cruise on Christmas but we have been to Disneyworld a few times at Christmas/New Years.  Just be prepared for the crowds as it is very packed.  However, it is quite fun with the decorations and Christmas Parades.  

Im not in your bank account, this is something youll need to decide. Would I do it? YES! im in California and I have a ton of expendable income. But you gotta decide that. I would not go into debt over a vacay. Ever

• Like 1

TBH, it’s a highly personal question & none of us know (or should know) enough about you to give you good advice.  My best suggestion is to map out the entire cost of the trip (use Excel or a similar program) and focus/discuss the Disney add on with your spouse.  The talking points should include: where in your budget are the funds coming from?  Less retirement savings, or college funds, etc.?  Or do you plan on cutting expense elsewhere (less eating out, maybe no/fewer excursions, etc.)

Here’s something else to think about: Disney World is a very beautiful experience during the holidays, as the entire property is fully decorated.  HOWEVER… you don’t have to go into the parks to enjoy it.  You can stroll Disney Springs and take a water shuttle to one of the area hotels.  You can ride the monorail and stop at each monorail hotel.  You can have a nice meal, etc.  In a couple days, you won’t run out of things to do, you will enjoy yourself and it won’t cost you a penny other than the cost to stay offsite.

• Like 3

I wouldn’t do it. Magic Kingdom will be a mess at Christmas and just going for one day would be a plan for frustration unless your only goal is to experience the joy of the holiday season in the park. 

Staying off-site, you won’t get the perks like early/extra hours or the jump on getting rides via the up-charge Genie+/Lightning Lane.

Also, your kiddos are at the age where they might get upset to only have one crowded day at Disney and that’s it. Disney Springs is plenty festive at the holidays, including the tree trail. You can do that, have a fun dinner somewhere like T-Rex or a character offering at a resort and still get a little bit of that Disney Holiday magic without breaking the bank. You can see the Gingerbread house at Grand Fla, or the carousel in the lobby at Beach Club.

Resort character dining, I’d suggest Topolino Terrace.

Edited by keels81
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

TBH, it’s a highly personal question & none of us know (or should know) enough about you to give you good advice.  My best suggestion is to map out the entire cost of the trip (use Excel or a similar program) and focus/discuss the Disney add on with your spouse.  The talking points should include: where in your budget are the funds coming from?  Less retirement savings, or college funds, etc.?  Or do you plan on cutting expense elsewhere (less eating out, maybe no/fewer excursions, etc.)

Here’s something else to think about: Disney World is a very beautiful experience during the holidays, as the entire property is fully decorated.  HOWEVER… you don’t have to go into the parks to enjoy it.  You can stroll Disney Springs and take a water shuttle to one of the area hotels.  You can ride the monorail and stop at each monorail hotel.  You can have a nice meal, etc.  In a couple days, you won’t run out of things to do, you will enjoy yourself and it won’t cost you a penny other than the cost to stay offsite.

I'm considering that too. The cruise will leave Saturday. So we were thinking, instead of flying in on Friday, let's fly in on Thursday. Get a good night rest and then spend the Friday in Disney with the kids. Saturday head to the cruise for embarkation. Disney want $149 per ticket for that Friday and that's just ridiculous. I was thinking maybe we can just go to Disney Springs. I just can't imagine spending $600 just to get into the park. 

1 minute ago, keels81 said:

I wouldn’t do it. Magic Kingdom will be a mess at Christmas and just going for one day would be a plan for frustration unless your only goal is to experience the joy of the holiday season in the park. 

Staying off-site, you won’t get the perks like early/extra hours or the jump on getting rides via the up-charge Genie+/Lightning Lane.

Also, your kiddos are at the age where they might get upset to only have one crowded day at Disney and that’s it. Disney Springs is plenty festive at the holidays, including the tree trail. You can do that, have a fun dinner somewhere like T-Rex or a character offering at a resort and still get a little bit of that Disney Holiday magic without breaking the bank. 

Resort character dining, I’d suggest Topolino Terrace.

Yea I love T-rex restaurant. I'm considering that. The price of the Magic Kingdom ticket is really making me think twice. And yes, you are correct. We only wanted to experience the holiday season, see the castle, watch the parade, and maybe get on a ride or two. Speaking of which, is the fun pass only for guests that stay on the resort. When we went to Disney we stayed in a disney resort so I'm not sure how it is for people that stay off the park grounds

1 minute ago, melz1010 said:

Yea I love T-rex restaurant. I'm considering that. The price of the Magic Kingdom ticket is really making me think twice. And yes, you are correct. We only wanted to experience the holiday season, see the castle, watch the parade, and maybe get on a ride or two. Speaking of which, is the fun pass only for guests that stay on the resort. When we went to Disney we stayed in a disney resort so I'm not sure how it is for people that stay off the park grounds

You mean FastPass?

That’s completely gone and replace with a process where you pay per person or per ride to cut your wait time down. So, add in an extra $15-20pp minimum to the cost of the ticket if you don’t want to wait two hours for Its a Small World. It’s ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, keels81 said:

You mean FastPass?

That’s completely gone and replace with a process where you pay per person or per ride to cut your wait time down. So, add in an extra $15-20pp minimum to the cost of the ticket if you don’t want to wait two hours for Its a Small World. It’s ridiculous.

Omg, are you serious? Yes I meant fast pass. OMG, so now you have to pay extra if you don't want to wait in a long line for rides. Disney must be out of their freaking minds. 

Just now, melz1010 said:

Omg, are you serious? Yes I meant fast pass. OMG, so now you have to pay extra if you don't want to wait in a long line for rides. Disney must be out of their freaking minds. 

It’s REALLY bad.

Another option is a monorail tour and then taking the boat over to Wilderness Lodge — it’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL at Christmas. The character dining at Artist Point is incredibly unique - Snow White, Dopey and the dwarves and the Wicked Queen. You can time it to watch the fireworks from MK outside or watch them from the Poly Beach after dinner and see the Electric Water Pageant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, melz1010 said:

Yes, the cost of the tickets is not the end of it.  There are additional costs to avoid the long lines.  The crowds at Disney have been terrible.  I can only imagine what they will be like this Christmas.  Honestly, I would skip it.  You will have a great time on the cruise.  I don’t think Disney will be worth it  - and I have been a huge Disney fan for decades.  My last trip was in November 2019 and I don’t think I will be back for a while.  Ordinarily, I would have another trip planned by now.  

Have fun!  

Edited by antmaril
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, keels81 said:

It’s REALLY bad.

Another option is a monorail tour and then taking the boat over to Wilderness Lodge — it’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL at Christmas. The character dining at Artist Point is incredibly unique - Snow White, Dopey and the dwarves and the Wicked Queen. You can time it to watch the fireworks from MK outside or watch them from the Poly Beach after dinner and see the Electric Water Pageant.

These are all great ideas. I can do all of this without entering the park. I think that's what I'm going to do. 

• Like 1

Just discussed Disney with my teenage son today and said "I truly don't know how people go there and not go in debt."  That said, if you won't, think the kids will truly enjoy it then go for it....even if I could afford it, personally, I would not. The cruise is more than enough imo. 

7 minutes ago, melz1010 said:

These are all great ideas. I can do all of this without entering the park. I think that's what I'm going to do. 

Also, I know the castle is a big deal but I’m under the impression that the Dreamlights on the castle won’t be a thing because of the adornments for the 50th.

An alternative might be if Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is offered that night, but it will likely be more than the park tickets you’re already looking at for like five hours. It’s all so freaking crazy.

There’s plenty to do to get your crew in the holiday spirit and ready for all the fun to be had aboard the MG and abroad!

We were lucky enough to be able to choose between Disney and Knotts when our kids were that age.  They never complained about not going to the Mouse.

Two days at Disney in Florida is now almost as expensive as another cruise.  At least $100 per person for the gate is $800 for a family of four, and easily another $200 to eat poorly inside the parks.  That doesn't even start to cover the hotel and rental car... or a decent meal.

We went to Disneyland for Thanksgiving one year.  Huge crowds. Money not well spent.  

First, examine your goals for the trip. Is it for you, the kids, or all of you? For instance the cost of the drink packages might be more than the Disney tickets. Be realistic in where you can cut back.On the other hand, the kids won’t miss that extra day in the park if they are already going on a cruise.

Personally, if they've been there once, that's enough, IMHO. My kids have never been to Disney. I went as a kid, about 8 and can't remember anything about it, besides our cheap motel room outside the park being broken into. They've been on numerous cruises, though, and last year, we did two weeks in the Florida Keys that cost way more than a week at Disney. I asked my 17-year old if he felt deprived never going to Disney and he said, "wait, what are you talking about?" And shook his head at me. 😀

Christmas week and Easter week are the two busiest of the year at WDW. You also need reservations to get in the parks now. While that may change, keep it in mind. They will still sell you tickets but, even then will stop you at the park gate. Recent news article about just that happening to some folks. A friend of mine wanted res for Epcot and best he could get a couple of weeks ago was for mid-April.

4 hours ago, melz1010 said:

So I'm planning to take the Mardi Gras out of Orlando in December for Christmas. But since we're going to be in Orlando, I figured instead of flying in one day before. Let's fly in two days before and spend a day at magic kingdom and then board the ship the next day.  Magic Kingdom at Christmas sounds wonderful. But now I'm having second thoughts. It seems great. The kids will be 8 years old. Last time we took them to disney they just turned 5. It would be for only one day. But this cost is getting crazy. To stay at a hotel off disney property for 2 days isn't too bad but the price of disney tickets are so high. Add in the cost of the cruise, airfare, excursions, and drink packages, the prices is getting a bit out of hand. However, I still feel it would make a great vacation for the kids. They get to go to magic kingdom, see the character, get on a few rides, watch the parade and then the next day spend the week on the sea. What do you think? Is it too much? Or should I just fly my ass to Orlando the night before and board the ship like regular folk LOL. 

I too thought about this we are booked on the Mardi Gras December 24th this year. We are celebrating my youngest graduating college. We are going to fly in Friday but the cost of Disney tickets are up there. As far as the drink package dh and I couldn’t even drink 15 drinks a day a piece 🤪 I would be crazy. do you have to have the drink package you could use that for tickets. My vote is do Disney springs also and maybe make reservations at a Disney hotel loved the wilderness lodge, take the boat around the lake that would be nice.

• Like 1