Seabourn Ovation Current Senior Officers

toseaornottosea

We have been off the Ovation for 7 hours, and here are the officers we can remember. 

Captain Andrew Pedder

HD Zoran

CD Chris (Ross Roberts left today)

F&B Marcel 

Chef Bert Buhle

Guest Services- a nice lady whose name we can not remember 

Destination - no contact 

Edited by FlyingScotSailors
Spelling

40 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We have been off the Ovation for 7 hours, and here are the officers we can remember. 

Captain Andrew Pedder

HD Zoran

CD Chris (Ross Roberts left today)

F&B Marcel 

Chef Bert Buhle

Guest Services- a nice lady whose name we can not remember 

Destination - no contact 

New guest services manager (in her third week on Ovation when I met her). Her name is Bianca. She's Brazilian. I also can name Ramon (also Brazilian) was the head sommelier. Ramon is not an officer, but pretty important to me!

Edited by mskatiemae

I'm always curious (genuinely) why people ask these questions about which staff is onboard. Assuming one is boarding the ship shortly, what difference does it make? If you have a favorite captain or cruise director or hotel director, they are either aboard or not aboard — but it doesn't affect your plans for your upcoming cruise, does it? You'll either be happy to see someone you've liked before, or wait to see who person you don't know is, but why inquire about it before you get there?  I feel I must be missing something… 

Why? Just because we enjoy now looking forward to seeing who will greet us and spend time with us on board then.

Maybe if you have not sailed on Seabourn and you are used to some other line you take what you get since the officers are not especially engaging. That is not Seabourn's style where the welcome is like a homecoming.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

You are welcome!

Coincidentally, I just received the list of Odyssey officers we will see in Aruba on 16 April for the post-dry dock cruise to Miami. We know a couple of the names but look forward to lots of good times with all of them. One of our close friends is having a 75th birthday and the cruise idea popped up just a few days ago. Seabourn hospitality on the Ody in the Caribbean, a Carambola beach day plus birthday cake with other Ody maiden voyage sailors? That was an easy decision.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, markham said:

One of our close friends is having a 75th birthday and the cruise idea popped up just a few days ago. Seabourn hospitality on the Ody in the Caribbean, a Carambola beach day plus birthday cake with other Ody maiden voyage sailors? That was an easy decision.

Oh how I wish I could be there with all of you. Enjoy it all and we will remember to toast you on the day. 🍾🥂

6 hours ago, markham said:

You are welcome!

Coincidentally, I just received the list of Odyssey officers we will see in Aruba on 16 April for the post-dry dock cruise to Miami. We know a couple of the names but look forward to lots of good times with all of them. One of our close friends is having a 75th birthday and the cruise idea popped up just a few days ago. Seabourn hospitality on the Ody in the Caribbean, a Carambola beach day plus birthday cake with other Ody maiden voyage sailors? That was an easy decision.

Mr. SLSD and I are so envious that you are sailing again!  We are still holding back, not wanting to be quarantined to our suite if we test positive, or worse yet, disembarked somewhere.  Talk those of us who are holding back off of this ledge!

16 hours ago, markham said:

Why? Just because we enjoy now looking forward to seeing who will greet us and spend time with us on board then. Maybe if you have not sailed on Seabourn and you are used to some other line you take what you get since the officers are not especially engaging.

That's rather off-putting. I simply asked a question, which your first sentence somewhat answered; I didn't expect a put-down for asking it. (For what it's worth, four of our last five cruises have been with Seabourn.)

You say with "some other line you take what you get" — but my point was that "you take what you get" with Seabourn as well, since I don't think anyone cancels a cruise based on finding out who the hotel director or destination services manager will be on their upcoming cruise. I was only asking why people often ask current cruisers to find out who will be aboard in coming weeks/months. Whether it's an old friend or a name that's new to you, it doesn't really change your anticipation and excitement for your upcoming cruise. If it simply makes you happy to see that some senior crew/management are people you've spent time with before, great.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

That's rather off-putting. I simply asked a question, which your first sentence somewhat answered; I didn't expect a put-down for asking it. (For what it's worth, four of our last five cruises have been with Seabourn.)

You say with "some other line you take what you get" — but my point was that "you take what you get" with Seabourn as well, since I don't think anyone cancels a cruise based on finding out who the hotel director or destination services manager will be on their upcoming cruise. I was only asking why people often ask current cruisers to find out who will be aboard in coming weeks/months. Whether it's an old friend or a name that's new to you, it doesn't really change your anticipation and excitement for your upcoming cruise. If it simply makes you happy to see that some senior crew/management are people you've spent time with before, great.

I liked how you asked your question. I think it was intended to elicit various perspectives. Some want to reinforce their own opinion as the only answer.

Anyway... I just returned from my first Seabourn cruise and unfortunately had to have discussions with management (up to the hotel director and the second in command under the captain) for the correction of a senior member of the restaurant staff who did not perform requirements of the job. I won't go into details now. I feel confident that it was addressed onboard and I will discuss in my post-cruise survey. I agree that they are approachable. On this voyage it was very nice to see how they rallied to support what I needed. In my case it was involving a health issue.

For me the officers were all helpful and gracious and I am planning another trip on Seabourn, so I told many of them of my plan to be back onboard and many happily informed me that they will be working during my next voyage. For me then it is a practical and personal need for these officers to be my advocates.

I think this may be true for others who already know well certain officers.

Getting back to Seabourn for us is full of anticipation. One aspect is the officers who will be on board. Then there is the affable crew. Our last Seabourn cruise in December, 2021 was not the same as in "the old days" as social distancing meant we were all cautious about mixing and for most of the cruise the most senior officers were sheltering from us lest they get the virus as so many passengers did. Since then many of us have come down with Omicron, recovered quickly and are keen to share in another Seabourn adventure as matters (hopefully) settle down.

About comparisons, we like very much the Muse class of Silversea ships, mainly for the calm vibe, sophistication (eg no hollering in the bars and adherence to the Silversea dress code by all), food, very long and deep pools and top deck circular walking tracks. But for the warmth and accessibility and active involvement of the officers and crew of all levels, nothing tops Seabourn.

Markham is 100%👍. Anticipation is always key for a veteran SB sailor, and helped by this advance knowledge. If we know some of the crew from prior voyages, all the better. I don't get his being criticized for his answer so many of us agree with. Or anyone being insulted from his very good reply. Answer is kind of obvious.