Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 13

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 28 and Sunday, April 3.

Wildflowers are showing up around here. What's photo-wothy near you?

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

When pigs fly! That was my answer when someone asked me when or if I would ever take a trip or visit a major attraction without a camera. I guess it’s still true. Technically true because the camera I took to Universal Studios on our family outing last Friday was wrapped in a flat, pocketable slab of glass, metal and magic. I have previously commented on how a series of ever more advanced phones have replaced a compact camera for casual outings and the latest bit of tech is moving the “take a camera or phone” slider farther than ever. Antarctica, Alaska, Iceland? Two bodies and a bag of lenses. Outing with the family when I might partake in a bone-jarring coaster? A phone with a camera and more real magic in it than all of Hogwart’s.

When Pigs Fly!

1749534586_2022-13WhenPigsFly.thumb.jpg.7d1c6d1cacdac9565ae4ba9b379b5a8f.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

I am still unable to make a phone camera work for my wetlands wildlife and birding outings - much as they've advanced, still difficult to focus and shoot fast moving birds 200 feet away with a phone!  🙂

Fortunately, I can still bring the big rig out there and get some interesting shots of the bird life.  Saturday's excursion to the wetlands involved getting out there and avoiding the periodic rainshowers that kept passing through...had to occasionally hide under some trees and use the rain sleeve to cover the camera and lens when it got heavier, but still had enough breaks in the rain to get out and see some interesting species...

I hadn't seen a downy woodpecker in about 6 months, so it was nice to run into this male hanging under a branch looking for grubs in the wood:

original.jpg

It being 'Spring' (seasons only exist by name here in Florida - it all feels like summer), the migrating birds that had gone down to the Caribbean and South America are now starting to arrive back in Florida on their way up north...like this lovely prairie warbler:

original.jpg

This female least bittern was showing some nice breeding plumage.  She also revealed one of the great party tricks these birds have.  Here, it appears to be a short-necked little bird:

original.jpg

But when she's ready to go fishing, she reveals that there actually is a neck hidden in there, all coiled up under the feathers:

original.jpg

But as they say in the infomercials...BUT WAIT!  There's MORE!  You think that's all the neck she can muster?  Think again...

original.jpg

Got a chance to get closeup with the lovely, tall-legged black-necked stilt:

original.jpg

When poppa anhinga returned to the nest, all the chicks were anticipating he had brought them some food.  So when he started to open his mouth, all the chicks were poised to be the first to grab whatever food he brought:

original.jpg

This black-and-white warbler, getting ready to move up north soon, was busy scarfing down all the bugs it could find - it had speared this one at the end of its tongue:

original.jpg

You know everyone thinks they're baby is adorable, but often to others, babies are not always the most attractive things.  This holds true with many bird species - the great egret chick about 1 week old is a bit 'looks-challenged', but cute in an ugly sort of way:

original.jpg

The wood stork babies have started to hatch - the few birds still waiting on their eggs to open are busy fortifying the nests with new branches and sticks to keep them properly sealed and protected:

original.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Victress2007 said:

This is the first time I have ever planted a white rose.  Here's hoping it will hold up to the Texas heat!

Vic

D6307300cr.jpg

I can say that our white roses have survived our SoCal heat nicely. Since we have a fraction of your humidity and 10° to 15° higher peaks, I would think they will be happier there than here. My son just moved back to California from Spring, so your area is now free from his general death-curse on gardens and decorative plants.

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Haha 2

On the Friday I only had a few minutes to visit the beach and was lucky to get a break in between heavy showers to take a couple of shots. Would have loved to stay longer and get a little closer to the action ...

RX033423.thumb.JPG.5fb32809c8a211d4be6f8b4a696482d3.JPG

RX033430.thumb.JPG.8dd13bf6c1e4f8bcba53be282bf1759e.JPG

• Like 4