MDR Table and Seating Assignments

fsdj1097

Good Morning CC Friends!

I attempted a CC search in this forum for this question, but couldn't locate an answer.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before.  I'm wondering if Main Dining Room seating assignments and table requests are still handled by the MDR manager?

We failed to request early, fixed seating and a 2-top table prior to now.  This is for a April 10th sailing aboard Rotterdam to the Caribbean.  I didn't check our booking confirmation until just this past weekend, and saw we were assigned open seating.  

When I called and spoke to a PCC this morning, she told me that the reservations were already closed for this sailing.  In years past, we would check our Room Key Cards after embarkation, and the MDR table assignments were printed on the card.  We would then visit the MDR, and if the table location, or arrangement wasn't what we had requested, we would visit with the MDR manager and ask for a change.  We sailed Koningsdam on a California Coastal in October, but I can't recall if our Room Key Cards had the MDR table number printed on them.  I would appreciate any recent experiences with requesting a MDR table assignment after embarkation, and if the MDR table number are still being printed on the Room Key Cards.

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Yes.   Table numbers are still printed n your card.  

it’s easy to change your table on embarkation day.    Getting main seating is easy.   Early seating may be harder.  

Thanks so much Pete!  (or Judy!).  I follow your blog and posts here on CC and appreciate your insights.

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Yes.   Table numbers are still printed n your card.  

it’s easy to change your table on embarkation day.    Getting main seating is easy.   Early seating may be harder.  

I know and if this happens, then I switch to specialty dining or just do the buffet.

I for one do not like eating at 8pm.  

11 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I know and if this happens, then I switch to specialty dining or just do the buffet.

I for one do not like eating at 8pm.  

I totally agree with you.  We really enjoy the MDR, and getting to know the staff.  That's a big part of wanting fixed seating.  But, we also enjoyed the Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill last October aboard Koningsdam, and because we didn't want to pack Gala attire, we went to the Lido for those nights.  

2 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

I totally agree with you.  We really enjoy the MDR, and getting to know the staff.  That's a big part of wanting fixed seating.  But, we also enjoyed the Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill last October aboard Koningsdam, and because we didn't want to pack Gala attire, we went to the Lido for those nights.  

thanks for agreeing.  I have noticed on many ships I go on more and more folks make their way towards the buffets on the last few nights as they have had it with long dinners and or gotten tired of the assigned table mates.  I like buffet as I can see the quality of the food like salad bar and I can see the variety of desserts and not just rely on the confusing descriptions at time from the menu.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an email to contact the MDR management staff for seating requests?  I have done this prior to all of my other cruises, but my August sailing out of Amsterdam will be my first with HAL.  When we originally booked, our party was 3 couples so we got a 6-top.  Unfortunately, one couple had to cancel, so I wanted to put in a request for a 4-top.  I've typically done this well ahead of time, as to avoid having to join the masses doing it on-board.

My wife and I like long dinners and getting to "know" our table mates better. We have made some really good friends on our cruises. I always check my dining arrangements from the date of booking so I can make changes immediately. We like "open seating" and talk to the MDR hostess or maître d' about our preferences on embarkation day.

Jim

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nukesquad said:

Is there an email to contact the MDR management staff for seating requests?  I have done this prior to all of my other cruises, but my August sailing out of Amsterdam will be my first with HAL.  When we originally booked, our party was 3 couples so we got a 6-top.  Unfortunately, one couple had to cancel, so I wanted to put in a request for a 4-top.  I've typically done this well ahead of time, as to avoid having to join the masses doing it on-board.

Did you book using a TA or PCC? If so, contact them, and ask that they link the bookings and put in a request for the type of table you want. 
If you booked directly with HAL, phone them to make the request. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:13 PM, RuthC said:

Did you book using a TA or PCC? If so, contact them, and ask that they link the bookings and put in a request for the type of table you want. 
If you booked directly with HAL, phone them to make the request. 

Thanks for the info.  The primary booking was thru a TA so we'll initiate the requests through them.  My past experiences have been that I can pretty much do all the detail work myself, but I guess I need to let it go....haha 😆