Southampton covid testing

ashhill

We are sailing on Enchanted Princess on June 3rd. Are there any local pharmacies near the Premier Inn West Quay (staying for 2 nights)that do covid tests prior to embarking. 

We are travelling 2 days before so cannot do a test at home

Thanks for any replies.

• Like 1

Firstly note that I have not used this company and  give the link for information only.

You may get  others responding and it is up to you which you use.

Maybe also say if you just need  Antigen   or  PCR  test. Not all do all same day.

You could also check out  Boots

Another thing is that with the reduction in the need for testing  some of these places

might close down though  with all cruise lines demanding testing those based in

southampton  should have a constant supply of clients.   We are cruising in June also

and still hope it will not be required.

https://dam-health.com/southampton/

There are others on the list here

https://www.hants.gov.uk/socialcareandhealth/coronavirus/test-and-trace/pharmacy-test-collect

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:25 PM, ashhill said:

We are sailing on Enchanted Princess on June 3rd. Are there any local pharmacies near the Premier Inn West Quay (staying for 2 nights)that do covid tests prior to embarking. 

We are travelling 2 days before so cannot do a test at home

Thanks for any replies.

Hi,

we’re on the same cruise and will probably use Boots before going down to Southampton. We’re on Enchanted in May too and , for that cruise, we’re using a credit note we have with Express Test from the cruise we had to cancel. They have a site in Southampton so we’ll book in to that the day before we sail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mikel1733 said:

Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to use the testing at the Port that Princess offers before you board the ship.  I've read the price is $60.

Because Boots is cheaper at £30. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 8:07 PM, Aulanis said:

Firstly note that I have not used this company and  give the link for information only.

You may get  others responding and it is up to you which you use.

Maybe also say if you just need  Antigen   or  PCR  test. Not all do all same day.

You could also check out  Boots

Another thing is that with the reduction in the need for testing  some of these places

might close down though  with all cruise lines demanding testing those based in

southampton  should have a constant supply of clients.   We are cruising in June also

and still hope it will not be required.

There are others on the list here

https://www.hants.gov.uk/socialcareandhealth/coronavirus/test-and-trace/pharmacy-test-collect

That's the company I've used, but in Cannon Street London as its a few mins from work. I still begrudge paying for it, but at £22.49 it's less of a rip off than some.

On 4/1/2022 at 1:49 AM, Mikel1733 said:

Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to use the testing at the Port that Princess offers before you board the ship.  I've read the price is $60.

The price should be free IMHO since it certainly was included in the price when I booked mine a few weeks ago and it's only changed to be not included in the last 2 weeks. $60 for a test that costs less than £1 to produce and forgetting the freebie NHS availability that was obtainable until 4 days ago, they are still available country wide now for £2 in stores. That's quite a markup for someone sticking a cotton bud up yer hooter!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 2:15 PM, PrincessMaya said:

Hi,

we’re on the same cruise and will probably use Boots before going down to Southampton. We’re on Enchanted in May too and , for that cruise, we’re using a credit note we have with Express Test from the cruise we had to cancel. They have a site in Southampton so we’ll book in to that the day before we sail. 

Is Boots a Drug store chain?  We are booked into a hotel we booked thru Princess.  We have one full day to see London so I'd hate to waste any of it doing the testing that day.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mikel1733 said:

Is Boots a Drug store chain?  We are booked into a hotel we booked thru Princess.  We have one full day to see London so I'd hate to waste any of it doing the testing that day.  

Hi, yes they are. You would need to book an appointment and not all of the branches do testing. I believe there are tests you can do yourself over a video link which satisfies the need for the test to be observed but I haven’t used them personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Boots (Britain's largest pharmacy chain) carry out in-store  PCR tests at some branches, Antigen tests at other branches, both tests at some branches, but at most branches - including Southampton - they don't offer either test with a fast result. (note that PrincessMaya plans to test before travel to Southampton).

https://www.boots.com/covid-19-testing - click on each test and scroll down to click on "for the full list of stores which currently offer this service"

Dam-Health offer both tests at Southampton airport and in the suburb of Shirley,  the Shirley location needs a taxi hop from the city centre or cruise terminals, the airport one is convenient only for those flying from the airport.

"ExpressTest" is on the outskirts of the city

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/all-locations/

Most-convenient to cruise terminals is in the big West Quay mall.

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/covid-19/

click on the Covid-19 header and from the drop-down click on "by location".

From any provider, Antigen tests are by far the most economical if accepted by the cruise line & destinations. Prices vary, but the differences are usually small-beer. 

PCR tests cost more, a huge amount morel if you want rapid results

See this thread on the subject - that questioner needs a post-cruise test to return to the USA, and we don't know if cruise lines offer tests around the end of the cruise.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2843841-where-to-get-covid-test-post-cruise/#comment-63016187

BTW, Les37b. Yes, a bit of a rip-off. But a test kit is only a fraction of the cost, you have to add the costs of the marketing, the booking, the administration and the certification to the cost of someone sticking a cotton bud up yer hooter.

Having to simply show a £2 test kit with a negative result would mean that someone who is positive can get a workmate to stick the cotton-bud up their hooter.😄

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 2

We are also cruising with Princess on June 4th from Southampton, we were looking at DocHQ as we had seen it mentioned on here for testing. 

I had also emailed Princess about testing at Port and they said its availible but I'm not sure if this has to be prebooked and have asked them

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:39 PM, Iainnn said:

We are also cruising with Princess on June 4th from Southampton, we were looking at DocHQ as we had seen it mentioned on here for testing. 

I had also emailed Princess about testing at Port and they said its availible but I'm not sure if this has to be prebooked and have asked them

I would be wary about DocHQ.

All I can glean about them is that you buy or they send you an approved test kit, and you book an appointment for them to remotely observe you carrying out the test yourself via a video-link.

Their website also mentions in-clinic testing - but gives no locations ???

Altho most of their TrustPilot reviews are positive, they all seem to be for tests done on-line. And if your experience is the same as the negative ones (incomplete kits, failed appointments, broken video links, late or non-existent results) it could royally screw-up your cruise or flight home. 

There are plenty of competitors offering on-line observed tests, but I'd strongly recommend testing in-person. 

Just MHO as always

JB  🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

I would be wary about DocHQ.

All I can glean about them is that you buy or they send you an approved test kit, and you book an appointment for them to remotely observe you carrying out the test yourself via a video-link.

Their website also mentions in-clinic testing - but gives no locations ???

Altho most of their TrustPilot reviews are positive, they all seem to be for tests done on-line. And if your experience is the same as the negative ones (incomplete kits, failed appointments, broken video links, late or non-existent results) it could royally screw-up your cruise or flight home. 

There are plenty of competitors offering on-line observed tests, but I'd strongly recommend testing in-person. 

Just MHO as always

JB  🙂

Thanks JB, we actually might use the company recommended on the Princess website. 

My last e-mail to Princess they got back to say we can test at port and it is added to stateroom as per the website for UK cruises, still waiting for a confirmation if this needs to be pre-booked or is just a turn up on the day and queue. Would be good to know that this can be used as a backup if we have issues with testing prior to check-in.

47 minutes ago, Iainnn said:

Thanks JB, we actually might use the company recommended on the Princess website. 

My last e-mail to Princess they got back to say we can test at port and it is added to stateroom as per the website for UK cruises, still waiting for a confirmation if this needs to be pre-booked or is just a turn up on the day and queue. Would be good to know that this can be used as a backup if we have issues with testing prior to check-in.

Check out this thread on the GB/Western Europe board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2845677-covid-testing-southampton/#comment-63059858

JB 🙂